ROMAD1

GOOD LORD BOSTON MIGHT FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI!!!!

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Why doesn't it look good?

You live in California, you are compensated well, you are expected to perform but aren't under extreme pressure to deliver titles as other places.  You get to be the underdog, which is a fun role in its own right.  He is well respected.

I think it is a great gig.

The toilets don't work. I'm not a fan of earthquakes.  But the underdog role is appealing.

Actually, now that the Raiders are leaving and the Warriors have skipped town, the climate is probably better for the Athletics to get the stadium figured out.

5 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Pretty sure that's the guy who used to be with the A's and Dodgers and currently is the Giants GM.  I won't even try to spell his name.  On that other guess, Rick Hahn has an MBA from Northwestern, too.  But Ausmus is smarter and handsomer.

Bingo! His name Farhan Zaidi. I’m anxious to see what he does with the Giants going forward.  

32 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I think Kansas City has accepted being in a cycle.  Cleveland and Minnesota might also (just my guess).  So in a division with teams that have accepted a cyclical nature, why not go the long & sustained route?

Exactly. I want the Tigers to make efforts toward that, too. I don’t like the sorta boom and extreme bust cycle, either. 

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

When did I say Dombrowski was unsuccessful?  Please quote that post. 

right back at you casimir.  where did i say you said dombrowski was unsuccessful.

49 minutes ago, Buddha said:

right back at you casimir.  where did i say you said dombrowski was unsuccessful.

Inferred it from the below:

On 9/10/2019 at 12:39 PM, Buddha said:

how is billy beane successful under that measure?

how many teams like that are there? red sox, yankees, braves for a while, cardinals?

i want to see them be that way too, however, i think thats not a reason to say dombrowski leading detroit to two ws appearances was not successful.  

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Inferred it from the below:

that comes from your assertion that beane was more successful than dombrowksi, to which i disagreed.  

and yes, "ringz" are a measure of success.  doesnt mean youre not successful if you dont get one, but it does mean you are more successful (at the very least for that season) if you do.

20 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Ultimately I really don't care much.  I think both men have merits and things that can be criticized and don't have too much of an opinion on which is better.

I also happen think the fact one has been in his role with multiple orgs is next to meaningless when comparing their CVs.

It would mean something if I'm hiring one or the other.  One demonstrated that he can succeed in multiple scenarios.  The other hasnt.  I get that you disagree.

DD also has proven he wears his welcome out after a while everywhere he goes. His model is unsustainable without a blank checkbook. Interested in seeing if there are any takers for his services now. Teams think differently nowadays. 

11 minutes ago, 1776 said:

DD also has proven he wears his welcome out after a while everywhere he goes. His model is unsustainable without a blank checkbook. Interested in seeing if there are any takers for his services now. Teams think differently nowadays. 

The wearing out the welcome might be true, but the blank checkbook point is demonstrably false, re: Expos and Marlins and Detroit pre 2006.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

that comes from your assertion that beane was more successful than dombrowksi, to which i disagreed.  

and yes, "ringz" are a measure of success.  doesnt mean youre not successful if you dont get one, but it does mean you are more successful (at the very least for that season) if you do.

If rings are that much of a measure of success, than the 83 win 2006 St Louis Cardinals were a better team overall than Detroit that season.

David Eckstein, who was the World Series MVP that season and won two World Series rings, is a more successful shortstop than Ernie Banks, who never won a playoff game.

36 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

The wearing out the welcome might be true, but the blank checkbook point is demonstrably false, re: Expos and Marlins and Detroit pre 2006.

Yeah, he built up the Expos for the early mid 90s and started up the rebuild for the Marlins second World Series.

It'd be interesting to know if he could do that again in a different environment, one leaning more towards analytics than scouting.

i saw a Peter Gammons report today that his sources relayed along that Dombrowski was pushing for an extension and it kind of came to a head over the weekend.  When he learned he wasn’t getting the extension, he was pretty much done.  It seemed slanted against Dombrowski and that was only one version of the story, so who knows how it all went down.  But it is interesting to hear this knowing how his exit out of Detroit went.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

If rings are that much of a measure of success, than the 83 win 2006 St Louis Cardinals were a better team overall than Detroit that season.

David Eckstein, who was the World Series MVP that season and won two World Series rings, is a more successful shortstop than Ernie Banks, who never won a playoff game.

the gm of that team was successful, no?

it says nothing about individual player performance during an individual game.

Compare Dave Dombrowski with Dave Brandon.   Sheesh why do people still give Dave Brandon money to tank their organizations?

—Dominoes left for dead

—Michigan Football turned inside out

—ToysRUs killed

meanwhile Dave Dombrowski has succeeded in multiple markets, multiple spending regimes and with multiple staff organizations 

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

as ive said this entire time, i think theyre both really good gms, but dd has ultimately been more successful.  that doesnt mean beane wouldnt have been as successful with more resources, but we dont know.

To me, success as a GM means how much better he is compared to an average GM in the same situation.  Beane has never had much money to work with, yet the Athletics have been competitive most years.  I  don't think an average GM would come close to that kind of success.  I think DD has also been successful by that measure.   I can not say which one has been better.  If counting championships is all that matters, then Brian Sabean is the only one we should be talking about this decade.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

Compare Dave Dombrowski with Dave Brandon.   Sheesh why do people still give Dave Brandon money to tank their organizations?

—Dominoes left for dead

—Michigan Football turned inside out

—ToysRUs killed

meanwhile Dave Dombrowski has succeeded in multiple markets, multiple spending regimes and with multiple staff organizations 

Since you’re bringing up U of M, by Buddha’s theory, Brady Hoke is a better head coach than Jim Harbaugh because Hoke has a win over OSU.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Since you’re bringing up U of M, by Buddha’s theory, Brady Hoke is a better head coach than Jim Harbaugh because Hoke has a win over OSU.

Mind blown 

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

the gm of that team was successful, no?

it says nothing about individual player performance during an individual game.

Why wouldn’t it extend to players and coaches?  They’re all in it for the ring, right?

The Pistons should bring back Joe Dumars and Larry Brown simply because they have rings and the current regime does not. 

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Why wouldn’t it extend to players and coaches?  They’re all in it for the ring, right?

The Pistons should bring back Joe Dumars and Larry Brown simply because they have rings and the current regime does not. 

by your measure joe dumars is a better gm than jack mccloskey because dumars made the ecf five straight times even though mccloskey won two championships.  dumars making the ecf so many times makes him the greatest gm in detroit sports history, right?

why wouldnt YOU want him back?

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

To me, success as a GM means how much better he is compared to an average GM in the same situation.  Beane has never had much money to work with, yet the Athletics have been competitive most years.  I  don't think an average GM would come close to that kind of success.  I think DD has also been successful by that measure.   I can not say which one has been better.  If counting championships is all that matters, then Brian Sabean is the only one we should be talking about this decade.  

brian sabean was a pretty good gm.  if you'd like a full list of good gms i can compile one for you.  it might even include gms of teams that have won championships.  but, to defer to casimir, i'll just include teams that have never won, because winning means nothing, what's really important is your budget and how close it gets you to second place.

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

by your measure joe dumars is a better gm than jack mccloskey because dumars made the ecf five straight times even though mccloskey won two championships.  dumars making the ecf so many times makes him the greatest gm in detroit sports history, right?

why wouldnt YOU want him back?

I want William Davidson back.

30 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I want William Davidson back.

Man...talk about a great owner

I have a pretty good idea where Dave Dombrowski won't end up in any capacity, and that's Los Angeles and Houston. Also, not Baltimore or San Francisco.

By the way, someone tell Al that the Orioles and Giants just cut a bunch of scouts loose. Could be a golden opportunity to beef up that part of the payroll. Who couldn't use a full timer or two combing the back roads of the Upper Plains or the Maritimes for talent? Could be an undervalued asset in these analytics-mad times ...

I might end up eating my words, but I'm not positive that DD's style is in vogue anymore.  Maybe he works for MLB--wasn't he once on the shortlist for MLB Commish?

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Maybe he works for MLB--wasn't he once on the shortlist for MLB Commish?

I thought I remember hearing he would be on a short list, but I don't know if that was before or after Manfred got the gig.