ROMAD1

GOOD LORD BOSTON MIGHT FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI!!!!

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This is pretty strained.

It essentially says Beane has to be fired or quit a good job.

if beane were held to the standards of a lot of gms he would have been fired.  oakland has been pretty up and down on his watch.

and his best teams were a product of inheriting mulder, hudson, and zito.

i like billy beane.  i think the playoff failures are a fluke.  i think he's done a great job.  and his "tree" produced theo epstein, who will be in the hall of fame as a gm.

but dd is still a great gm and on par with beane and ultimately more successful.

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if beane were held to the standards of a lot of gms he would have been fired.  oakland has been pretty up and down on his watch.

and his best teams were a product of inheriting mulder, hudson, and zito.

i like billy beane.  i think the playoff failures are a fluke.  i think he's done a great job.  and his "tree" produced theo epstein, who will be in the hall of fame as a gm.

but dd is still a great gm and on par with beane and ultimately more successful.

I think the Beane/DD comparisons are apples and oranges to a large extent. DD could not survive or succeed in Beane’s world in my opinion. I have no idea how Beane would operate if placed in the positions DD has held.

13 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I think the Beane/DD comparisons are apples and oranges to a large extent. DD could not survive or succeed in Beane’s world in my opinion. I have no idea how Beane would operate if placed in the positions DD has held.

i think dd would do just fine in oakland.  if you know how to identify talent, you can assemble it and win.  conversely, im sure beane would be fine with a bigger checkbook.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

under what measure is beane better than dombrowski?

You can't really compare because their circumstances have been so different.  I just don't think Beane's lack of championships takes away from his effectiveness as a GM.  Both BB and DD have done very well in their respective situations.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

You can't really compare because their circumstances have been so different.  I just don't think Beane's lack of championships takes away from his effectiveness as a GM.  Both BB and DD have done very well in their respective situations.  

as ive said this entire time, i think theyre both really good gms, but dd has ultimately been more successful.  that doesnt mean beane wouldnt have been as successful with more resources, but we dont know.

One thing for sure .. Billy Beane had a movie made about him.  DD has not (..at least not yet.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Buddha is just trying to trigger people with that post.  

He is in Pistons' forum midseason form.

18 hours ago, Buddha said:

how is billy beane successful under that measure?

how many teams like that are there? red sox, yankees, braves for a while, cardinals?

i want to see them be that way too, however, i think thats not a reason to say dombrowski leading detroit to two ws appearances was not successful.  

When did I say Dombrowski was unsuccessful?  Please quote that post. 

13 hours ago, sabretooth said:

It seems fair to me because beane had many chances to try his model out elsewhere and decided not to

I do find it odd that Beane hasn't looked to go elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Help me out here, didn’t Boston make him a fat offer some years back and he turned it down? Am I remembering this correctly?

Just now, 1776 said:

Help me out here, didn’t Boston make him a fat offer some years back and he turned it down? Am I remembering this correctly?

I think I remember that someone did, but I cannot recall who.

Found it/wiki

It's been 15 years since Billy Beanemade a decision that shocked the baseball world and altered the course for two franchise. In 2002, with the Red Sox trying to lure Beane away from the A's, the GM turned down a five-year, $12.5 million deal to stay in Oakland.Apr 8, 2017

saw a comment elsewhere where he said he has never regretted the decision.

Anybody want to guess which one of the current MLB GM’s this education resume belongs to?

Bachelor of Science degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and  a doctorate of philosophy (PhD) in economics from the University of California Berkley.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Anybody want to guess which one of the current MLB GM’s this education resume belongs to?

Bachelor of Science degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and  a doctorate of philosophy (PhD) in economics from the University of California Berkley.

IDK, RIck Hahn went to UM and took a JD from Harvard.

22 hours ago, belcherboy said:

I don't think sustained winning matters to fans as much as championships. I live in Atlanta and the Braves fans down here who are in their mid 30's and up don't necessarily look at the 11 year or so playoff run they had that started in the mid 90's with fondness. Don't get me wrong, they loved those players, but they felt like major underachievers for only getting one WS title in that period. It's almost like they are ashamed of it, even though they were winning so many games during that time period. It seems like many would have traded all those division championships for another World Series ring. 

Dombrowski may be losing his edge as a baseball guy  (there has to be more to his firing than what they are sharing), but if he wanted to come back to Detroit, I would hope they would welcome him back...even if it meant swallowing Avila's contract.

I'm not anti-Avila, but I feel Dombrowski is a sure thing in building a playoff contender. That's what I would like to see again.

If the benchmark for success is championships, then Dombrowski was a failure in Detroit, unlike in Miami and Boston. 

Setting that aside, though, if bringing back Dombrowski will result in the Tigers going back to the playoffs, which people assume would happen because that’s been his record, then we would also have to assume he would run this franchise back into the ground eventually, which is also his record. Which again brings up the question: would Tiger fans be OK withstanding a cycle where for eight years they’ll be among the worst in baseball so they can draft high for prospects to trade off so they can get four years of playoffs, then rinse and repeat? If fans don’t care about sustainability, would it be acceptable to cycle through that every dozen years or so?

10 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

One thing for sure .. Billy Beane had a movie made about him.  DD has not (..at least not yet.)

Dave just paid to stock the pop machines in that movie.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Brad Ausmus

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If the benchmark of success is championships, then Dombrowski was a failure in Detroit, unlike Miami and Boston. 

Setting that aside, though, if bringing back Dombrowski will result in the Tigers going back to the playoffs, which people assume would happen because that’s been his record, then we would also have to assume he would run this franchise back into the ground eventually, which is also his record. Which again brings up the question: would Tiger fans be OK withstanding a cycle where for eight years they’ll be among the worst in baseball so they can draft high for prospects to trade off so they can get four years of playoffs, then rinse and repeat? If fans don’t care about sustainability, would it be acceptable to cycle through that every dozen years or so?

I think Kansas City has accepted being in a cycle.  Cleveland and Minnesota might also (just my guess).  So in a division with teams that have accepted a cyclical nature, why not go the long & sustained route?

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

If you think you are in a good situation, why leave?

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If you think you are in a good situation, why leave?

I agree with that.  It just doesn't seem like it'd be a good situation from the outside.

Now, I'm not sure Boston or New York would be better.  Those situations seem like special kind of pressures that most probably wouldn't be cut out for.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

I agree with that.  It just doesn't seem like it'd be a good situation from the outside.

Now, I'm not sure Boston or New York would be better.  Those situations seem like special kind of pressures that most probably wouldn't be cut out for.

Why doesn't it look good?

You live in California, you are compensated well, you are expected to perform but aren't under extreme pressure to deliver titles as other places.  You get to be the underdog, which is a fun role in its own right.  He is well respected.

I think it is a great gig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Pretty sure that's the guy who used to be with the A's and Dodgers and currently is the Giants GM.  I won't even try to spell his name.  On that other guess, Rick Hahn has an MBA from Northwestern, too.  But Ausmus is smarter and handsomer.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Dave just paid to stock the pop machines in that movie.

Biggs, that’s a winner!