ROMAD1

GOOD LORD BOSTON MIGHT FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI!!!!

When I went to a game in August I was amazed at how easy it was to park close to Comerica and get in and out. It was such a brief walk I didn’t even bother to time it. And it was only $10.

When my dad would take me to games in the mid 60s  I remember parking in these little dirt lots and stuff and although I didn’t pay for it I’m sure that adjusted for inflation it’s a ton more than $10 maybe $30 or $40. 

yup. Since the team has gotten bad, parking that is half as far away costs half as much. No real mystery that 5-8K people don't need as many parking spots as 35K do. Last game we went to we parked at Beaubien and Madison for $10 also.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

the last time he came here was 2002 when the team had even less prospects than it does now.

this revisionist history on dombrowski is incorrect, imo.  im not really a DD fan, but give the man his due.  he got us miggy, granderson, verlander, scherzer, jd martinez, and two world series trips.  yeah, illitch's money helped, but so did a guy who was willing to deal two top 10 prospects for miggy, a homegrown hero for scherzer, and the foresight NOT to trade verlander (and to draft him).

give the man his due.  

Exactly. I think 2002 was at least as bad as today. He did it really in what 4 years?  I am not sure if we will by 2023. It would be a heck of a lot more exciting to be a fan with Dombrowski. I am 100% sure of that. Kinda what it's all about eh?

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Can we agree it’s a moot point?  He’s not coming back to work for the Ilitch’s.  If and when they sell, maybe.  I think Dan Gilbert, for example, would bring him back in a heartbeat.

Any. New. Owner. Would.

2 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Does every owner?

yeah, but some of them are more interested in making money.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Romanticized is a dandy word. You call it what you like. It looks very impressive. I call it wanting to win. We are supposed to want to do that aren't we? And you mention bad ownership. OK. Say we have a new owner. Do you think new ownership would keep the current GM? And lets just say a David Dombrowski is available. Who do you choose? I know.

IMO, new ownership would not keep the current GM, and they probably wouldn’t hire Dave Dombrowski. 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

IMO, new ownership would not keep the current GM, and they probably wouldn’t hire Dave Dombrowski. 

If you had new ownership, you would hope you had a baseball man at its heart like Larry Lucchino who would find you the next Theo Epstein. Of course in Det speculation centers around Gilbert, and he is definitely NOT that guy.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/194611/mlb-franchise-value-of-the-detroit-tigers-since-2006/ 

I found this link showing the value of the Tigers by season, I noticed that from around the time we started winning divisions in 2011 till 2015 where things started to go south the value of the team almost quadrupled and since then while it has gone up it hasn't gone up at near the rate it did when we were winning.  While I don't know how much that had to do with winning or if it was other factors but if it was in deed the winning then you would think that should be enough incentive to spend money trying to get back to those winning ways.

The hiring of Steve Yzerman is interesting and perhaps instructive.  I'm not sure what conclusions I can draw from it.    Is there a Steve Yzerman like former/beloved Tiger who could come in and be a savior?  Which of them won a championship in another place after leaving?  

GMs today are McNamara like Whiz Kids. We need a  Henry Ford II owner who will stop at nothing hiring the best and brightest. 

37 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

no owner that wants to build for long term stability will hire Dave. 

Fact

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

During spring training this year, Dombrowski signed Chris Sale to a five year, $145 million extension that starts NEXT year (sound familiar?) Sale probably had his worst MLB season this year before going down with injury. 

This is a typical DD move...stupid.

DD moves are typically stupid?  Ok.

43 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

no owner that wants to build for long term stability will hire Dave. 

Is 10 years of relative success stable enough?  Thats as good as any Tiger exec over the last 50+ years.

10 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Is 10 years of relative success stable enough?  Thats as good as any Tiger exec over the last 50+ years.

you left out the critical word: BUILD. When Dave, he left nothing behind.

An owner probably will hire him to do exactly what he has always done, but it won't an owner like those at the Braves or the Cards or the Astros

But there probably is a team out there where an owner believes his system is not producing as many wins as he believes the resources it already has should be producing, and that is where I would think Dombrowski  is the best fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1776 said:

I could never be on board, ever, with bringing DD back. To welcome him back would be an open admission that this franchise has not learned anything. DD wouldn’t know where to start if you took the loaded checkbook away from him. Detroit needs a Billy Beane. You can be a competitive team without breaking the bank and mortgaging your future if have a leadership that has the know how. DD ain’t that guy. AA ain’t that guy. 

billy beane can come over to dombrowski's house and look at all this world series rings.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Fact

It is about winning. An owner new that wants to win, will hire Dave. Guarantee....If DD wants to work, he will work.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

yeah, but some of them are more interested in making money.  

Correct. Where does that leave Ilitch,Chris?

Why does it matter if you have a good farm system or not as long as the big league club is winning?  

31 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Why does it matter if you have a good farm system or not as long as the big league club is winning?  

It wouldn't, but no team in the salary cap era has figured out a way to keep winning exclusively via trades and free agency. 

9 hours ago, cmu97 said:

I personally would take 3-4 years of sucking really bad to turn into the Astros, Cubs, and even to a certain extent the Royals. The Royals window turned out to be very short, but they did win it all.  We didn't win anything in the 90's, and we basically an average team that whole decade. Then we really sucked during the Randy Smith years, and then 8 years of good to great. I'll take 4 years of very bad to go through an 8-10 stretch of very good. I think the hope is that by the time the Tiger's are good, the Astros, Cubs, Braves, etc will be in or close to a cycle of bad.

The problem is I don't see the Tigers being able to do what the Cubs, Astros, and Braves are doing. I feel a decade of the 90's coming on all over again. A few good years, a few down years, winning nothing.

Yes, but that's how you acquire the top talents, with top picks.

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Yes, but that's how you acquire the top talents, with top picks.

I'm sure MLB will figure out how Boston can have top picks. 

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

billy beane can come over to dombrowski's house and look at all this world series rings.

Are we really going to chastise Billy Beane for getting to the random postseason tournament more often than anyone realizes despite playing with reduced budget in the **** hole stadium but not winning the random tournament because the random events have not randomly fallen into his favor?

Dombrowski did some goods things in Detroit and guided a pretty significant turn around.  But I'd easily take Beane over Dombrowski right now.

• Like 3

When Dombrowski is elected into the hall of fame, will his plaque be altered to feature a brightly colored polo?