ROMAD1

GOOD LORD BOSTON MIGHT FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI!!!!

I'd be supportive of bringing DD back.  This Avila experiment is quickly going down the tubes.

He hypmotized old man Ilitch into spending money. Maybe he can do the same thing with Chris. 

Maybe he can trade some of these elite minor-league pitchers we have for some 38-year-old relievers on the rebound. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

He hypmotized old man Ilitch into spending money. Maybe he can do the same thing with Chris. 

I'm fully supportive of diverting 10% of the US GNP to improving the Detroit Tigers via the golden touch of Dave Dombrowski

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I cannot imagine Chris would hire him.

I can't imagine he would want to come back.

He knows DD is like a snake charmer. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Was Chris involved in the firing of Dave?

My guess is that he was.  

By the ghost of Bill Lajoie and all that his holy fix your stupid problems and make this happen!

I can't see them paying DD what he'd want.... which I think is part of the reason he was let go.  If Chris believes enough in Avila's work, right or wrong, to give him an extension, then I don't see why he'd then pay DD to come back again.  

Unless he wanted to come back and just assume the CEO/President roles and let AA do the baseball operations.  DD could be the face of the franchise for the league.  But that seems like the other side of what he's doing now in Boston.  

I think DD returning to the Tigers is about as likely as Mike Babcock returning to coach the Wings

DD is a quality GM, who would be a good fit for the right ball club.  I think he could help the Tigers and I would be pleased to have him back.  However, it's a situation where I'd like to see them go in a different direction.  

Clean house all throughout the organization starting with one of the new wave GMs who is focused on modern analysis and committed to player development.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I were DD .. I would never come back to Detroit. 

If the White Sox offered ..I might accept the job and go all out to win a World Championship within 3 years just to spite the Tigers?

the white sox are insanely loyal and are set up nicely in the next few years.  they would never fire rick hahn to hire dombrowski.

14 hours ago, tiger337 said:

DD is a quality GM, who would be a good fit for the right ball club.  I think he could help the Tigers and I would be pleased to have him back.  However, it's a situation where I'd like to see them go in a different direction.  

Clean house all throughout the organization starting with one of the new wave GMs who is focused on modern analysis and committed to player development.  

I'm not opposed to finding a young wiz kid to run the team. 

I would have a hard time seeing Al Avila greeting mourners at the viewing of Ernie Harwell like Dave Dombrowski did.   That's shows a difference between the two men.  

8 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I'm not opposed to finding a young wiz kid to run the team. 

I would have a hard time seeing Al Avila greeting mourners at the viewing of Ernie Harwell like Dave Dombrowski did.   That's shows a difference between the two men.  

That's a strange example, I don't know what it has to do with being a good GM.   In addition, if anything Avila would seem more empathetic and less businesslike than Dombrowski.  But then again that's just my impression.

13 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

That's a strange example, I don't know what it has to do with being a good GM.   In addition, if anything Avila would seem more empathetic and less businesslike than Dombrowski.  But then again that's just my impression.

It’s strange.  But, I really appreciated how DD handled that situation.  An awareness of the importance of the Tigers in the culture.  This isn’t some team based in Lakeland that plays its games in a stadium in Detroit.  

14 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Given Chris I's apparent first-order dedication to the bottom line, this would be the smart move, but the chances of him doing this are IMO slim.  He seems like a very conventional thinker.

If Chris holds on to the team, he either stays the course with AA style/quality GMs, and continues to suck (thats my guess), or eventually (like his dad) hires a very good conventional style GM (like DD) who knows how to build a winner, including dedicating the payroll needed to do so. 

I think we will have to wait at least 5 years of poor to mediocre play before he has a reckoning like that.

I think Matt Millen would be a great fit.  He's probably as good at finding baseball talent as he was football talent.