Jump to content

Keepleyland2

9/6 @10:07 Detroit Tigers at Oakland Athletics

Recommended Posts


I hate him now.

<---  Sees KL's post thinks "gosh Storm Davis must be old now"

goes to BR page and sees he's younger than me.  ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

file him under Eric Davis, Fred Lynn, Bill Madlock and others that were once great players and then became a Tiger afterward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

file him under Eric Davis, Fred Lynn, Bill Madlock and others that were once great players and then became a Tiger afterward.

Lloyd's malfeasance extends deep into history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

file him under Eric Davis, Fred Lynn, Bill Madlock and others that were once great players and then became a Tiger afterward.

Seems many of these 'thread starting' players were washed up and ultimately ended their careers with Detroit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Lloyd's malfeasance extends deep into history.

Malfeasance:  Intentional conduct that is wrongful or unlawful, especially by officials or public employees.  Malfeasance is at a higher level of wrongdoing than nonfeasance (failure to act where there was a duty to act) or misfeasance (conduct that is lawful but inappropriate).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember reading in TSN how Glenn Davis was Storm Davis' adopted brother and thinking how cool it was that they both became good major leaguers.  I just checked now to make sure I had remembered correctly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

file him under Eric Davis, Fred Lynn, Bill Madlock and others that were once great players and then became a Tiger afterward.

You forgot Jordy Mercer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I remember reading in TSN how Glenn Davis was Storm Davis' adopted brother and thinking how cool it was that they both became good major leaguers.  I just checked now to make sure I had remembered correctly.  

wow.... had no idea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just learned today that there really was a major leaguer named Crash Davis, decades before Bull Durham.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Malfeasance:  Intentional conduct that is wrongful or unlawful, especially by officials or public employees.  Malfeasance is at a higher level of wrongdoing than nonfeasance (failure to act where there was a duty to act) or misfeasance (conduct that is lawful but inappropriate).

"especially" being the key word, not exclusively.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trivia question (no cheating Liston):  What pitcher holds the professional baseball record for most strikeouts in one season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Somebody that went by the nickname of "Chick" or "Dutch".

Actually his nickname is "Slim".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Actually his nickname is "Slim".  

Babe Ruth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
                                                           
Year
Age Tm Lg W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W Awards
1886 20 BAL AA 29 34 .460 3.37 68 68 0 66 5 0 583.0 476 350 218 10 182   513 19 1 61 2469 101 2.60 1.129 7.3 0.2 2.8 7.9 2.82  
1887 21 BAL AA 46 19 .708 3.07 69 69 1 66 6 0 589.1 585 326 201 9 157   217 20 1 46 2492 133 3.64 1.259 8.9 0.1 2.4 3.3 1.38  
1888 22 BAL AA 17 21 .447 4.04 40 40 0 35 2 0 321.0 347 224 144 5 79   135 23 0 45 1407 72 2.90 1.327 9.7 0.1 2.2 3.8 1.71  
1889 23 BAL AA 29 25 .537 2.85 59 56 3 55 5 0 480.2 476 283 152 8 142   217 27 0 32 2070 134 3.37 1.286 8.9 0.1 2.7 4.1 1.53  

Just looking for fun, I came across Matt Kilroy. Look at his innings pitched during his first 4 years in the majors starting at age 20.

Really unbelievable. He holds the major league record with 513K's in a season.

 

 

       
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     
           
                                                                   
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Trivia question (no cheating Liston):  What pitcher holds the professional baseball record for most strikeouts in one season?

I feel like in my lifetime someone struck out 376 batters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I feel like in my lifetime someone struck out 376 batters.

I feel like someone in your lifetime struck out 513 batters.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cmu97 said:
                                                           
Year
Age Tm Lg W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W Awards
1886 20 BAL AA 29 34 .460 3.37 68 68 0 66 5 0 583.0 476 350 218 10 182   513 19 1 61 2469 101 2.60 1.129 7.3 0.2 2.8 7.9 2.82  
1887 21 BAL AA 46 19 .708 3.07 69 69 1 66 6 0 589.1 585 326 201 9 157   217 20 1 46 2492 133 3.64 1.259 8.9 0.1 2.4 3.3 1.38  
1888 22 BAL AA 17 21 .447 4.04 40 40 0 35 2 0 321.0 347 224 144 5 79   135 23 0 45 1407 72 2.90 1.327 9.7 0.1 2.2 3.8 1.71  
1889 23 BAL AA 29 25 .537 2.85 59 56 3 55 5 0 480.2 476 283 152 8 142   217 27 0 32 2070 134 3.37 1.286 8.9 0.1 2.7 4.1 1.53  

Just looking for fun, I came across Matt Kilroy. Look at his innings pitched during his first 4 years in the majors starting at age 20.

Really unbelievable. He holds the major league record with 513K's in a season.

 

 

       
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     
           
                                                                   
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     
                                                                     

 Matt Kilroy had more strikeouts than "Slim".  SABR got it wrong and you ruined my trivia question!  They probably meant he holds the modern record (since 1901).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...