Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanTigersFan

Help a noob with a question......

I don't follow hockey nearly enough to be competent in asking this the right way. However, with Kronwall retiring, what does the Red Wings Salary Cap look like? I keep hearing we are rebuilding but I believe the last farm system ranking had us 8th which doesn't really seem all that great considering we've been rebuilding a few years now. How close are we to competing again? Are we close to getting all the bad contracts off the books so that we can sign some good FA's when our young kids are ready? Also when do we expect the "core" of our young players like Zadina, Chowalksi, Seider ect.. to be up? Are we at least aligned with the bad contracts off the books so we can sign good players right when our top rookie players are ready or are we at an imbalance there? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

- ATF

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I don't follow hockey nearly enough to be competent in asking this the right way. However, with Kronwall retiring, what does the Red Wings Salary Cap look like? I keep hearing we are rebuilding but I believe the last farm system ranking had us 8th which doesn't really seem all that great considering we've been rebuilding a few years now. How close are we to competing again? Are we close to getting all the bad contracts off the books so that we can sign some good FA's when our young kids are ready? Also when do we expect the "core" of our young players like Zadina, Chowalksi, Seider ect.. to be up? Are we at least aligned with the bad contracts off the books so we can sign good players right when our top rookie players are ready or are we at an imbalance there? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

- ATF

The Wings are expected to be a bottom 10 team this season but by the next season, 1920-21, with prospects developing, contracts coming off the books, likely a couple of free agent signings and maybe a trade or two, they will probably set making the playoffs as a realistic goal. Too many variables right now to even guess how soon they are to being a legitimate contender - could be years. I am more optimistic about the Wings rebuild than the Tigers rebuild though, as Yzerman > Avila and it will be easier for Chris Illitch to spend to NHL contention than MLB contention.

18 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

- ATF

A ton of contracts are up after this season (although some are RFA) https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

The Wings' farm ranking went down in Pronman's ranking a lot due to them graduating more talent out of his rankings than they added (their last two first round picks before Zadina in Cholowski and Rasmussen, and their top defense prospect in Hronek), and Zadina not tearing up the AHL as a teenager.  While they most likely don't have a super star in their system (top 10ish in the NHL) I think they still have a solid system.

Zadina will be with the Wings in some capacity this upcoming season.  Cholowski should as well.  I have no idea what they are going to do with Seider as far as going back to Germany or the AHL.  I would love for him to be in Detroit in a couple seasons.  Hoping Veleno joins the team around then too.  

Yzerman only signed two year contracts this off season which I'm on board with.  For the 2021-22 season the Wings currently have FOUR players signed!  Trust the Yzerplan