mtutiger

Media Meltdowns

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

The owner eventually fled the country on tax issues and allegations he supported terrorists. 

IIRC, they were the same people that started the ME restaurant in A^2 but after the suburban LeShish closed the one in A^2 was bought out and renamed 'Palm Palace' with pretty much the same menu. Still a nice place. Funny thing is that it sits on a site where a Bill Knapps used to be, and that contrast still cracks me up when we go there.

The other odd thing is that despite both my grandmothers having learned their cooking in the ME, almost none of the cuisine I grew up loving is served in any American ME restaurant. Some of it is the same by title, but the preps are almost always  quite different.

24 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

IIRC, they were the same people that started the ME restaurant in A^2 but after the suburban LeShish closed the one in A^2 was bought out and renamed 'Palm Palace' with pretty much the same menu. Still a nice place. Funny thing is that it sits on a site where a Bill Knapps used to be, and that contrast still cracks me up when we go there.

The other odd thing is that despite both my grandmothers having learned their cooking in the ME, almost none of the cuisine I grew up loving is served in any American ME restaurant. Some of it is the same by title, but the preps are almost always  quite different.

yes.... around 10 years ago, I think, someone bought up the name, kept the menu, the chef, etc. and a bunch of them popped up in the area.  Same type of logo, that's how I knew it was the same group. Saw some downriver.... in Livonia.... probably the same one in A2.

16 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I put the Mediterranean superfood, olive oil, on my toast.  That's me at my most exotic.

Extra virgin?

I put olive oil or marinara sauce on everything I eat. Pretty typical to eat a plain piece of bread or roll dipped in olive oil. I tried sushi before and couldn't do it.

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I remember that time I was around my diabetic friend and I got the diabeetus too when he sneezed.  Knocked me out for 3 weeks.  And I'm the lucky one.

58 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I put olive oil or marinara sauce on everything I eat. Pretty typical to eat a plain piece of bread or roll dipped in olive oil. I tried sushi before and couldn't do it.

Add a touch of balsamic vinegar to that oil and you're talking.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Funny, I don't see them listing the volume of causes of deaths when discussing abortion. 

No guns either.

• Like 1

Between Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil, Oprah has some 'splainin to do

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Between Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil, Oprah has some 'splainin to do

It’s perfectly obvious that both of these guys see a huge opportunity to cash in by branding themselves with the conservative right.   They are TV versions of a high class hooker.  

I’d hope they both had strong conservative views before whoring themselves out but it wouldn’t shock if both were just faking it much like an actor playing a role.  

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

TeeVee Rule #1: Go where the money is.

Chas, you seem to be suggesting that capitalism can have perverse incentives.  Why do you hate America?

15 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s perfectly obvious that both of these guys see a huge opportunity to cash in by branding themselves with the conservative right.   They are TV versions of a high class hooker.  

I’d hope they both had strong conservative views before whoring themselves out but it wouldn’t shock if both were just faking it much like an actor playing a role.  

They are going the Dennis Miller route... things dried up so they have to get a niche.

18 minutes ago, pfife said:

Chas, you seem to be suggesting that capitalism can have perverse incentives.  Why do you hate America?

Oh no, I love America. Where else could you say, “only in America”?

First thing I do, every day, is I get out of bed, stand at attention, and sing the Canadian national anthem.

27 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

First thing I do, every day, is I get out of bed, stand at attention, and sing the Canadian national anthem.

well see, there you have it. Oh Canada tells you right there at the git go to stand up.  All the Star Spangled Banner  tells you to do is just look over there - you can do that without even getting out of bed if you have a well placed window.