Keepleyland2

8/31 @6:10 Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

Harmon Killebrew could probably hit as many homeruns in this game as the Tigers will.

I’m just looking for the silver lining in the dark cloud of these last 30 games. 

18 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m just looking for the silver lining in the dark cloud of these last 30 games. 

On Opening Day 2024 when the Tigers are hoisting the 2023 World Series Champion banner, we can look back at this season and giggle.

This is not a good match up for Matthew Boyd.  The balls are going to be flying far and often today.

On a side note, do the Tigers get to 40 wins first or 100 losses?

It's justifiable to focus on Kaat and Killebrew but you don't want to lose focus on what a fine player Bob Allison is, and how dangerous Jimmie Hall can be.  This Twins team can beat you a lot of different ways.

I’m sad to hear that Tyler Skaggs died with alcohol and opiates in his system. Since I don’t watch much TV and don’t purposely seek out sports news I’m pretty late stumbling across this information.

8 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m sad to hear that Tyler Skaggs died with alcohol and opiates in his system. Since I don’t watch much TV and don’t purposely seek out sports news I’m pretty late stumbling across this information.

I think it shows a lot of class on the part of all the EMT and med staff involved that nothing leaked until the official report. I suppose it's sad that I find that surprising in today's world.

15 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think it shows a lot of class on the part of all the EMT and med staff involved that nothing leaked until the official report. I suppose it's sad that I find that surprising in today's world.

Now that you mention it, it is kind of shocking.   Everyone seems to be the one to break bad news and no one did in this case.

The Tyler Skaggs case is interesting to me. He died on July 1 and originally they said the autopsy would be started right away but wouldn't be completed until October. At first I thought, it can't possibly take that long to do an autopsy on anyone, can it? A quick web search reveals an autopsy takes four hours or less. So why say it's starting right away and won't be completed until October? What are they trying to hide?

Then I came around to thinking: so what if they did hide it? What if his family simply decided they wanted to keep the cause of death private, as being their own business? Wouldn't that be their right? Or does the public really have a right to know the causes of anybody's death? I concluded to myself, no, the public probably doesn't have that right, and if the Skaggs family wants to keep it to themselves, more power to them. Maybe every cause of death should be kept private. I don't know. YMMV on this issue.

As it turns out, we did find out before October, and unfortunately, the cause was pretty much what all of us probably imagined it would be. Darryl Kile notwithstanding, if a healthy, athletic young man is reported to have just dropped dead all of a sudden, it's almost always death by misadventure. 

It's all very sad.

I know there’s a lot of legal issues that probably intervene in making an autopsy more complicated than the four hours it takes to do it.   And this one appears to be additionally complicated by a relation to an unnamed Angels employee. I think autopsies have to be a matter of public record or least it seems reasonable to assume this.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

The Tyler Skaggs case is interesting to me. He died on July 1 and originally they said the autopsy would be started right away but wouldn't be completed until October. At first I thought, it can't possibly take that long to do an autopsy on anyone, can it? A quick web search reveals an autopsy takes four hours or less. So why say it's starting right away and won't be completed until October? What are they trying to hide?

This ain't CSI Miami

All that testing that has to be done after an autopsy takes weeks and months (90 days is a quick turnaround. most states take about 180 days). It takes hours to slice someone open and remove stuff. It takes much longer to do all that testing., analyze, write reports etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

It's justifiable to focus on Kaat and Killebrew but you don't want to lose focus on what a fine player Bob Allison is, and how dangerous Jimmie Hall can be.  This Twins team can beat you a lot of different ways. 

Lol, and don't sleep on Zoilo Versalles. What's even more amazing is that those guys could beat the Tigers even though some of them are dead.

52 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

This ain't CSI Miami

All that testing that has to be done after an autopsy takes weeks and months (90 days is a quick turnaround. most states take about 180 days). It takes hours to slice someone open and remove stuff. It takes much longer to do all that testing., analyze, write reports etc. 

Exactly. The autopsy takes only hours, it's getting tox and pathology back that takes time. Samples from autopsies get bottom priority to those from patients that are still alive - for pretty obvious reasons!

4 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Now that you mention it, it is kind of shocking.   Everyone seems to be the one to break bad news and no one did in this case.

That's because Adam Schefter doesn't cover baseball.  I'm sure he would have tried to find out and leak it ASAP.    I don't really know if it should be anyone's business but the family's business.  Couldn't they have let Andrew Luck announce his retirement on his own terms?

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

That's because Adam Schefter doesn't cover baseball.  I'm sure he would have tried to find out and leak it ASAP.    I don't really know if it should be anyone's business but the family's business.  Couldn't they have let Andrew Luck announce his retirement on his own terms?

That's not how news works. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

That's not how news works. 

Obviously, but maybe it should work that way.  

Were either of these stories really that vital that people had to know the very second they did?

37 HRs out of the Twins catchers this season.  That's pretty nice.

I wonder how much better boyd''s season would look if the balls weren't "juiced"