Keepleyland2

8/27 @7:10 Cleveland Indians vs Detroit Tigers

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

It appears as though all games are free MLB.TV games today.

Every September, MLB sells Extra Innings for the remainder of the season for $10 on their MLB app. Every game and all the games are archived. So you could watch a random June game if you desired. At least, they have in past years. Home and away announcers too. I used to watch the games the WSox lost just so I could hear Hawk cry. Ahhhh..the good old days. ?

Game 129 in 2003:

The Tigers limped into their home series finale against Anaheim on an impressive 11 game losing streak.  Mike Maroth and Scot Shields allowed batting practice to continue into the game as Shields gave up 7 runs in 4 & 2/3 innings and Maroth gave up 6 runs in 5 innings.  The bullpens would through a pair of goose eggs at each other until the top of the 8th when all 9 Angels came to the plate resulting in 3 runs and a 9-7 lead.  The Tigers would scrape a run on in the bottom of the 8th to cut the deficit to 1.  Jamie Walker retired Anaheim in the top of the 9th on 8 pitches, keeping Detroit in the game. 

Troy Percival took his perch atop the mound in the bottom of the 9th.  Carlos Pena fought off a mighty fastball at his head to squibble one up the middle for a base hit to open up the stanza.  Ben Petrick was sent in to pinch run.  Percival induced a foul ball pop fly to Craig Monroe which sent Scott Spiezio 3 rows into the stands to catch.  One out.  Warren Morris strode to the plate with his Wonderboy bat, but Percival turned the tide around on him by pitching left handed.  He dropped an 18 MPH eephus on a 1-2 count which buckled Morris' knees thrice before watching that pitch go by for strike 3.  Two out.  The balance of the game would now rest on the shoulders of Brandon Inge.  The epic battle between pitcher and batter found itself in a full count.  Percival went into his delivery, and the pitch....... Inge swung and Lined a laser to the deepest depths of left field.  Angel OFs Chone Figgins and Adam Riggs gave chase, but that ball would be looooooong gooooooone, a walk off two run home run to end the Tigers' longest losing streak of the season.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

cd2d9e2a-86b6-48ec-8e73-85456d704c6c.png

Off topic but seeing the standard triple crown stats made me think of a tweet I saw yesterday in regards to the Citi Field Scoreboard.  Apparently the scoreboard now shows the player's OPS+ and WAR to go along with the standard triple crown stats.    Hopefully it's a matter of time before all stadiums implement those changes and the more advanced stats start to become the norm even amongst the more casual fan.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1776 said:

His walk-up song was ‘Sex Machine’ by Sly and the Family Stone.

What a shame he couldn't stay on the scene.

I think it might be time to shut Miggy down for the season. No reason to risk anything. I'm not convinced he can't still be a somewhat productive hitter over the rest of his contract, but it's not going to be easy to keep him healthy. 

8 minutes ago, Walewander said:

I think it might be time to shut Miggy down for the season. No reason to risk anything. I'm not convinced he can't still be a somewhat productive hitter over the rest of his contract, but it's not going to be easy to keep him healthy. 

So the choice is between paying him to do nothing and paying him to suck.  

On the bright side, we have a mere four more seasons of this to endure.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Walewander said:

He appears totally disinterested at the plate anyway

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

When he’s long retired and reflects back on his career, he won’t remember even a single second of this season or three quarters of the players he played with on this team. It will all be a blank to him.

8 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think that is part of the issue.  We saw JD Martinez go crazy in Arizona, we say Verlander get hot in Houston, now Castellanos is lighting it up for Chicago...sometimes it takes the focus of meaningful games to up your level of play.  I think this part of Boyd's issue right now as well.  

I can't stomach the thought of paying Miggy 30 million a year to become a good hitter again on another team.  I also think the Tigers would be better off without him.  Miggy doesn't strike me as the veteran you love to have around to teach the younger guys how to be pros and he seems like more of a distraction than an asset to me. 

1 minute ago, Hart said:

I think that is part of the issue.  We saw JD Martinez go crazy in Arizona, we say Verlander get hot in Houston, now Castellanos is lighting it up for Chicago...sometimes it takes the focus of meaningful games to up your level of play.  I think this part of Boyd's issue right now as well.  

I think you nailed it. I don’t see how these guys have any optimism left at this point. The front office has no interest in winning anytime soon. Boyd has to be discouraged at this point. He would have to be perfect and pray these hacks could find a run or two to win another game. I still think Boyd is going to be fine but losing is contagious and this team is done.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Not surprising if for no other reason than all the team records for home runs are going to fall this year.

Is this one of these situations where the pitcher makes an error and there are 5 unearned runs because of it?