Keepleyland2

8/25 @2:10 Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins

27 minutes ago, ktpinnacle said:

Boyd put 10 Twins on and 7 scored without the benefit of an error and only 5 hits.  Remarkable.

What does that mean?

Looking at the box score .. I see Boyd allowed 4 hits and 5 walks.  Total of 9 allowed on base with 7 of them scoring.  

But, ..what it suggests to me is that Boyd needs to do some serious soul searching during the off season and figure out how to keep at least half of those runners from scoring.  He has the talent.  But he allows runs to score that he should not.  

1 minute ago, Tigrrfan said:

Looking at the box score .. I see Boyd allowed 4 hits and 5 walks.  Total of 9 allowed on base with 7 of them scoring.  

But, ..what it suggests to me is that Boyd needs to do some serious soul searching during the off season and figure out how to keep at least half of those runners from scoring.  He has the talent.  But he allows runs to score that he should not.  

Other than his last start, his command has sucked recently. Lack of concentration after a long frustrating season? Fatigue? Collection of nagging but not disabling injuries?

Actually .. Boyd has basically sucked in August. 

Started 5 games ..26.2 Innings Pitched ..21 Earned Runs allowed. 

Boyd has sucked worse in August than he sucked in July and June.

July = 30.2 IP .. 16 Earned Runs allowed

June = 29 IP  ..19 Earned Runs allowed.

June, July, August combined:  86.1 Innings Pitched, 56 Earned Runs Allowed, 86 Hits, 27 Walks, 25 HR's allowed.

5.84 ERA

1.31 WHIP.

2.6 HR's / 9 IP

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Other than his last start, his command has sucked recently. Lack of concentration after a long frustrating season? Fatigue? Collection of nagging but not disabling injuries?

But .. his suckiness has been since beginning of June.  Isn't that a bit early to consider a "lack of concentration after a long frustrating season" or "Fatigue"?  Not going to think about a possible injury excuse because he still KO's a whole bunch of hitters.

On the bright side, Willi Castro has gotten a hit in every major league game he’s played in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

On the bright side, Willi Castro has gotten a hit in every major league game he’s played in.

Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio ..woo woo woo

38 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

But .. his suckiness has been since beginning of June.  Isn't that a bit early to consider a "lack of concentration after a long frustrating season" or "Fatigue"?  Not going to think about a possible injury excuse because he still KO's a whole bunch of hitters.

Tigers as a team were playing horribly behind all their pitchers this summer so I have to take ERA with a grain of salt. Looking at K/BB at a more unbiased indicator of change, Matt started downhill in July and August has been horrible - other than his last start - which only proves he can still throw OK but his game to game consistency is missing right now.

But the other point to be made here is that earlier this year Matt was also being oversold. He is not a staff ace level pitcher. He is a competent 2 or 3 and as such is going to have his ups and downs. I would guess that after seeing too many of his his starts end up losses after he pitched well that he may be overcompensating trying to be too perfect, or his command is just out of whack because like a lot of pitchers, he mechanics have gone south a little and thus the walks - which are root of most of his problem IMO.

2 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

That means that everyone Boyd allowed on base he allowed to score.  And only half of them were hits.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

But the other point to be made here is that earlier this year Matt was also being oversold. He is not a staff ace level pitcher. He is a competent 2 or 3 and as such is going to have his ups and downs. I would guess that after seeing too many of his his starts end up losses after he pitched well that he may be overcompensating trying to be too perfect, or his command is just out of whack because like a lot of pitchers, he mechanics have gone south a little and thus the walks - which are root of most of his problem IMO.

I agree that his mechanics are likely causing the walks to increase. That, coupled with his inability to keep guys from scoring, may point to his mechanics in the stretch being especially a problem.

He's also allowing way too many homers, like everyone in the league, but I think that is the major issue.

Boyd:

30 HR allowed-  Most in career- 5th most in MLB

1.76 HR/9- Worst of his career- 4th highest in MLB

5 minutes ago, JackPine said:

I agree that his mechanics are likely causing the walks to increase. That, coupled with his inability to keep guys from scoring, may point to his mechanics in the stretch being especially a problem.

He's also allowing way too many homers, like everyone in the league, but I think that is the major issue.

Boyd:

30 HR allowed-  Most in career- 5th most in MLB

1.76 HR/9- Worst of his career- 4th highest in MLB

If you are a high FB pitcher in this rabbit ball era I guess you have to resign yourself to giving up HRs, you just need the keep the bases empty the rest of the time. JV has given up 33 but his WHIP is 0.81!

well gosh, its a good thing we didnt trade our 28 year old starter with a 4.50 era.  he's a total building block for the future.  

i mean, the yankees were nuts not to give up gleybar torres for him.

• Like 1

Holy cow, that Schoop home run was killed.  I just saw the video on mlb.  I saw a home run like that once, Mickey Tettleton batting righthanded at the Skydome.  2 loud bangs, the second one being the back of an empty seat in the lower deck, about 3 seconds apart.  Awesome.

45 minutes ago, Buddha said:

well gosh, its a good thing we didnt trade our 28 year old starter with a 4.50 era.  he's a total building block for the future.  

i mean, the yankees were nuts not to give up gleybar torres for him.

You can be a source for Fenech when he writes the story in 3 years that Avila turned down Judge & Torres for Boyd.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

You can be a source for Fenech when he writes the story in 3 years that Avila turned down Judge & Torres for Boyd.

In three years it will have turned into trout and the angels were going to pay all of that monstrous contract.

If I keep saying that for three years will that make it true???

Having lived out here for 30 years, it's been remarkable how much the Angels have squandered on long-term contracts.  It's been brutal.

Avila has time to line up the salary structure to go after Trout in free agency after 2030.  Heck, he could add Harper after 2031, too.  An OF of Stewart, Trout, and Harper?  Oh, man, can't wait.

19 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

It's too bad we didn't fleece someone for Boyd....;-)

That's OK, I'm sure Avila can get Gleyber Torres in trade for him in the offseason. Extend Avila.

If Boyd were in Houston he’d be in the running for the Cy Young Award. ?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

That's OK, I'm sure Avila can get Gleyber Torres in trade for him in the offseason. Extend Avila.

You're 3 years early.

6 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

You're 3 years early.

Am I? Isn't this the team that extended both Miggy and Justin two years before their then-current contracts were up? You don't think Al Avila is in that class? :grin: