Yoda

El Camino: the Breaking Bad movie

52 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The actor who played the vacuum cleaner guy died. 

Jesse sent him to Belize just to cover his tracks. 

This was a good movie.   It wasn’t the level of greatness that we’ve come to expect from Vince Gilligan and these characters.  Overall, I was a little disappointed.

23 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This was a good movie.   It wasn’t the level of greatness that we’ve come to expect from Vince Gilligan and these characters.  Overall, I was a little disappointed.

Same. I will watch anything Vince does, and anything involving these characters. Just seemed like it could have been a 45 min episode. There was a bunch of filler for no reason. But I'll still take it. 

I liked the movie.   Geez, Todd is the biggest sociopath in TV history (sorry, Dexter).    Hey Jesse, you want some soup?  

Only thing to me that felt off was the diner scene at the end........seems like an excuse just to get him into the movie -- I don't see how it moved anything in the movie.  

It felt like just a long final episode. I feel like it could be setting up a spin off series. Jesse is still a young guy and needing to start over in Alaska. Could make for a good series. 

I won’t say I’m disappointed but my reaction is simply that it was fine. 

I would have preferred the movie that comes after he drives off in *this* episode. 

Still, it’s nice to be back in the world of BB and with Jesse in particular. I enjoyed how much Todd we got. 

The first half was much better than the second half. 

Like others have said, it was fine, but I wasn't blown away. My reaction watching it reminded me of when I watched the first episode or two of Better Call Saul - nice to have a few characters back but not much happened or moved me. If it was a Breaking Bad double-episode, I'd rank it somewhere in the bottom 15% to bottom 25% of its 50+ episodes.  Still, wasn't horrible and certainly doesn't mar the BB legacy in any way whatsoever, IMO.

I enjoyed it. It flew by quickly. I had two major issues with it:

1. When the cops roll up to the vacuum cleaner shop they would have been looking inside the glass door from the car and seen two people inside the store.

2. The shoot-from-the-hip shot to welder dude: You would have a better chance of winning the lottery than him making that shot from his left hand (Pinkman is right-handed) as he has the pistol pointed down when they were speaking. It's entirely unbelievable that he could jerk it up and be that accurate. If only one shot had hit his torso somewhere and then he used the second gun right-handed to finish the kill, it would have been more believable. Heck, to even make five shots in that grouping inside a jacket pocket right-handed would have been extremely difficult too.

I'd expect much more attention to detail from Gilligan.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, John_Brian_K said:

So in Yodas world after less than a day he is free to post spoilers of any kind.  That is a weird philosophy.

JBK. The gift that keeps on giving.

This was basically a long Season 5 Episode 17 which is ok I guess, but I was expecting a little more...movie feel to it.  

Spoiler

It spanned maybe 2-3 days tops?  We assume he went straight to Skinny Petes, slept a day then woke up and spent the next 2-3 days getting the money.

I did not care for the direction of that...I was hoping for a little bit of a flash forward.  They spent more time on flashbacks.  Todd being 50 lbs heavier was pretty hard to over look.  It was jarring.

They really did not need to add more time for Todd, we knew what he was...at least you should have known, they wrote his character fine in the series.  

The whole thing just felt off to me.  Not what I was hoping for.

Weird. I think everyone here is on the exact same page. Fun to see everyone again, but not at all necessary and they probably could have done things a little different. 

I guess the next question is, what's next? After BB I would have said there's no way they even do a spinoff and risk tarnishing the original. But we got BCS. Now we have this movie. Do they keep going Star Wars/Marvel style? Or is that the end? 

I wouldn't at all be opposed to a Badger/Skinny Pete spinoff. But I think BCS will be the end of BB universe. 

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a BCS type prequel series involving Todd. I feel like they could write a similar story of Todd breaking bad. 

Todd has changed way too much. 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Weird. I think everyone here is on the exact same page. Fun to see everyone again, but not at all necessary and they probably could have done things a little different. 

I’m not sure where I fall on the necessary/unnecessary side of things. Sure, the BB story was fine where we left it. But I do think it was worth exploring how Jesse got away after the show ended. BB was always focused on the details of the how, and Jesse was a pretty important character that was left substantially unresolved. I think you could argue that it was necessary. 

Skinny Pete really...I don't want to say "redeemed himself", but his quick thinking about the car was a great little scene...so was his interactions with Jesse...I thought the whole "hero" thing was a little heavy handed, but I really liked how he was such a good person.  Badger cracks me up...I think it is his voice.  I wish there was a little more of them, I doubt they could make a series out of it and there is no real way to introduce them in BCS unfortunately.  Another 5-10 minutes with them in this movie I think would have been perfect.

Todd...."that opey looking dead eyed freak!"  lol that was a great line from Jesse in BB.  Todd, I think MAYBE he could have had a stand alone episode in BB, but I do not think he is a character you can build a whole show around.

Having JUST finished watching BB again from the beginning Saul and Mike stood out as people we NEEDED to see more of and we got them.

It is a testament to well thought out characters though that you can pull all these individuals out of one show and at least have a discussion about a stand alone series.

7 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a BCS type prequel series involving Todd. I feel like they could write a similar story of Todd breaking bad. 

Better Call Weight Watchers? 

4 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Skinny Pete really...I don't want to say "redeemed himself", but his quick thinking about the car was a great little scene...so was his interactions with Jesse...I thought the whole "hero" thing was a little heavy handed, but I really liked how he was such a good person.  Badger cracks me up...I think it is his voice.  I wish there was a little more of them, I doubt they could make a series out of it and there is no real way to introduce them in BCS unfortunately.  Another 5-10 minutes with them in this movie I think would have been perfect.

Todd...."that opey looking dead eyed freak!"  lol that was a great line from Jesse in BB.  Todd, I think MAYBE he could have had a stand alone episode in BB, but I do not think he is a character you can build a whole show around.

Having JUST finished watching BB again from the beginning Saul and Mike stood out as people we NEEDED to see more of and we got them.

It is a testament to well thought out characters though that you can pull all these individuals out of one show and at least have a discussion about a stand alone series.

Well, we already know Dexter wound up somewhere cold and lumberjackish,   so maybe Dexter and Kevin Driscoll (formerly Jesse Pinkman) hook up as roommates.      

I'd be willing to bet Jesse ends up working with kids in some way, and probably making his own. 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

I'd be willing to bet Jesse ends up working with kids in some way, and probably making his own. 

Jesse goes out into the Alaskan wilderness with no survival skills and moves into a vacant bus and dies from a combination of starvation and eating too many potatoes.    Sean Penn can make a movie about him and make him into a hero even though he was a moron. 

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, John_Brian_K said:

I think it would be pretty easy to introduce Skinny Pete and Badger in BCS. I watched Breaking Bad and we never really knew how Jesse knew of Saul. Skinny Pete was recently released from prison so he can be introduced into BCS as one of Saul's clients.

44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think it would be pretty easy to introduce Skinny Pete and Badger in BCS. I watched Breaking Bad and we never really knew how Jesse knew of Saul. Skinny Pete was recently released from prison so he can be introduced into BCS as one of Saul's clients.

When Jesse first actually "meets" Saul he has a mask covering his face and when he pulls the mask Saul does not act like he knows him IIRC.  

Jesse does say "We need a CRIMINAL lawyer" to Walter though so I guess he does know he is shady.  It would make sense that he knows that because of Skinny Pete, not Badger though because Saul represents him and has no idea who he is.

So I guess there is a chance they could introduce Skinny Pete.  Skinny served time with Tucco which is how Jesse got hooked up with him back in season 1 or 2.

I hope they make that work somehow.  I REALLY like Skinny Petes character.

On 10/14/2019 at 3:18 PM, John_Brian_K said:

Skinny Pete really...I don't want to say "redeemed himself", but his quick thinking about the car was a great little scene...so was his interactions with Jesse...I thought the whole "hero" thing was a little heavy handed, but I really liked how he was such a good person. 

As Mike said to the pill-seller nerd guy in BCS, he's known criminals who were good people and  cops who were bad.  

Someone I worked with in radio was a weed dealer on the side, and he also was a very good and kind person who'd do anything for you.     His name was Chris Clemens and his perfect nickname was Clem-Bake.   Why am I saying was, he's still alive and sells weed legally in Massachusetts now, he's probably a millionaire.   

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

As Mike said to the pill-seller nerd guy in BCS, he's known criminals who were good people and  cops who were bad.  

Someone I worked with in radio was a weed dealer on the side, and he also was a very good and kind person who'd do anything for you.     His name was Chris Clemens and his perfect nickname was Clem-Bake.   Why am I saying was, he's still alive and sells weed legally in Massachusetts now, he's probably a millionaire.   

My brother used to sell weed.Ironically, the place where he used to do most of his deals was right across the street from Bob Bashara's dungeon.