Yoda

El Camino: the Breaking Bad movie

I haven't watched BB since the finale so I hardly remember everything that happened and who's all alive(I think Walter killed Mike and Hank was killed by the last "big boss" but I can't remember for sure)   I remember the final scene and how Walter helped Jesse escape but that's about it.  Definitely going to have to catch up on it before watching this.  

With that said I just don't really find Jesse or his story that interesting so I'm not sure how good this is gonna be.  I cared about what happened with Walt and his family and the Hank dynamic.  I really didn't care either way about Jesse.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I haven't watched BB since the finale so I hardly remember everything that happened and who's all alive(I think Walter killed Mike and Hank was killed by the last "big boss" but I can't remember for sure)   I remember the final scene and how Walter helped Jesse escape but that's about it.  Definitely going to have to catch up on it before watching this.  

With that said I just don't really find Jesse or his story that interesting so I'm not sure how good this is gonna be.  I cared about what happened with Walt and his family and the Hank dynamic.  I really didn't care either way about Jesse.  

I actually think Jesse was maybe the most interesting character on the show. Wild, unpredictable, but actually had a moral compass. He was the most human character on the show. And nobody had their *** kicked (both mentally and physically) more than him. His getting away at the end was the most rewarding moment of the series and I'm pretty excited to see what happens to him next. I think if you rewatch it you'll find him more interesting.

Having said that, what DOES happen to him? I just started season 5 of a re-watch so I don't remember if he did anything criminal that would prevent him from living a normal life from this point. Based on the trailer they're obviously after him but I don't recall what for this time. 

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I actually think Jesse was maybe the most interesting character on the show. Wild, unpredictable, but actually had a moral compass. He was the most human character on the show. And nobody had their *** kicked (both mentally and physically) more than him. His getting away at the end was the most rewarding moment of the series and I'm pretty excited to see what happens to him next. I think if you rewatch it you'll find him more interesting.

Having said that, what DOES happen to him? I just started season 5 of a re-watch so I don't remember if he did anything criminal that would prevent him from living a normal life from this point. Based on the trailer they're obviously after him but I don't recall what for this time. 

I didn't really phrase myself right.  I do think Jesse as a character was interesting but I guess the reason why I don't really care what happens to him is because I always considered him just the secondary protagonist(Hard to root for Walt considering some  of the things he did but I still did) and also IIRC Jesse really didn't have a family or anything to lose for that matter.

It's not like with Walt where you were worrying about his family finding out and him losing his kids etc.  with Jesse it's just him.  Either he gets caught and goes to jail or he escapes, IDK it just doesn't seem like a big deal either way.  If there was still a major antagonist left to see if he could get revenge on then maybe I would be more interested.  IDK like you said if I rewatch I may change my mind or remember things that Im forgetting and either way I'm still interested to watch but I guess I'm just not as excited about it as other BB fans.  

On 9/1/2019 at 6:08 PM, RandyMarsh said:

I thought the same thing with Jimmy/Saul when the announced the Better Call Saul prequel. I even was kind of bored the first few episodes and quit watching it. I had a buddy who told me after season 3 was over, that I needed to watch it...that it was REALLY good. I was hooked sometime in early season two.

The writing is so good for those shows that I have confidence that they have a good story for this Jesse movie, or they wouldn't do it. I hope I'm right.

2 minutes ago, belcherboy said:

I thought the same thing with Jimmy/Saul when the announced the Better Call Saul prequel. I even was kind of bored the first few episodes and quit watching it. I had a buddy who told me after season 3 was over, that I needed to watch it...that it was REALLY good. I was hooked sometime in early season two.

The writing is so good for those shows that I have confidence that they have a good story for this Jesse movie, or they wouldn't do it. I hope I'm right.

The actors who play Mike and Chuck did such phenomenal jobs in their roles. I didn't know Michael McKean  had those kind of chops.

14 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

The actors who play Mike and Chuck did such phenomenal jobs in their roles. I didn't know Michael McKean  had those kind of chops.

My reaction to Michael McKean's character was humorous to my wife.  I had a foot surgery last summer, and was laid up in bed for about 3 weeks. So I did a marathon of seasons 3 and 4 during that time. I got so mad at Chuck that I had to stop watching the show for a week somewhere in one of those seasons. I was getting so angry at him that I couldn't stand to see him anymore. He did an AMAZING job with that character....and I'm glad he is dead. ?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, belcherboy said:

My reaction to Michael McKean's character was humorous to my wife.  I had a foot surgery last summer, and was laid up in bed for about 3 weeks. So I did a marathon of seasons 3 and 4 during that time. I got so mad at Chuck that I had to stop watching the show for a week somewhere in one of those seasons. I was getting so angry at him that I couldn't stand to see him anymore. He did an AMAZING job with that character....and I'm glad he is dead. ?

But was he wrong?

9 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

But was he wrong?

He was mostly always right, but he did pull a lot of "you didn't get here the same way I did so it's wrong" bull****. Street smarts got Jimmy further than Chuck's book smarts. But also got him in a world of trouble. One of the things I love about the show. 

• Like 1

And speaking of, I wonder just how much money Jimmy made in a 10ish year run as a lawyer. Had to be 8 figures at least. Damn near that off Walt alone, not to mention all of his other dealings. 

6 hours ago, Yoda said:

He was mostly always right, but he did pull a lot of "you didn't get here the same way I did so it's wrong" bull****. Street smarts got Jimmy further than Chuck's book smarts. But also got him in a world of trouble. One of the things I love about the show. 

At the end of the day, Jimmy proved Chuck right when he went rogue with the commercials. As a fan I was rooting for Jimmy. Chuck annoyed me to death but at the end of the day, Chuck knew exactly what he was talking about.....in an entirely too arrogant way.

16 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

But was he wrong?

He certainly did not handle Jimmy well, though I wouldn't say he was wrong.

I would say his actions helped ensure the creation of Saul.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, belcherboy said:

First of all - it is a CRIME that McKean didn't even get an Emmy nomination.   The episode where he testified and lost his cool was some of the best acting I've ever seen.

And yes, Chuck was a dick, but you know what - he was absolutely right.   Remember - people die because of Saul Goodman, his clients and his actions.    

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He certainly did not handle Jimmy well, though I wouldn't say he was wrong.

I would say his actions helped ensure the creation of Saul.

Jimmy was going to go  Saul regardless of how Chuck handled him. The difference I think is the level to which he would go: Full Saul or just Jimmy the skeezy lawyer.  To your point, I agree that his actions pushed him to Full Saul.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

McKean found a niche as a character actor, and character actors generally don't get meaty roles.  He got his and he ran with it.

Word. Until this series McKean was Lenny from Laverne and Shirley and Spinal Tap guy in my view. Now he's Chuck and that's a compliment.

McKean was in most, if not all, of the Christopher Guest movies... Spinal Tap, Best in Show, A MIghty Wind, For Your consideration.... would love to see him show up on Schitt's Creek which has a lot of the same crew.  If he hasn't already.  We're in season 4.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Robert Forester is another long time character actor who got a meaty role late in his career in the movie 'Jackie Brown' and ran with it. 

If you recall the Chuck Norris movie Delta Force, which if you were like me, was required viewing as a middle school kid, he played the leader of the Arab hijackers.  That movie now is so so bad...

7 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Jimmy was going to go  Saul regardless of how Chuck handled him. The difference I think is the level to which he would go: Full Saul or just Jimmy the skeezy lawyer.  To your point, I agree that his actions pushed him to Full Saul.

The writing is amazing because they have managed to turn Jimmy into a Walter White type character. Where even when Jimmy does wrong things, you root for him because you feel he is overcoming some unfair obstacles. I think Chuck could have really helped his brother (who obviously adores and looks up to him), but because Chuck is certifiably crazy and despises Jimmy, he decides to constantly work against any success Jimmy might have (in and outside his firm). 

Chuck is a piece of crap that totally takes advantage of and abuses his brother Jimmy. It just feels like Jimmy gives up any attempt to be a legit lawyer because of his brother. I'm sure he was trending downward in his lawyer career, but Chuck comes from behind and shoves him downhill faster than he would have ever gone IMO.  I think Chuck has even played a big role in ruining Jimmy's potential of a relationship with Kim.

Chuck is an amazing character, and has made this series so great, but I'm glad he is gone. I can't wait to see how Jimmy makes the full turn to the dark side here in the next season. I really like Kim and Jimmy's relationship, so I'm wondering how Kim disappears. My prediction is that she dies, and Jimmy either is to blame or blames himself or a little of both.

I'm going to be REALLY bummed when this series is over. I think Breaking Bad and BCS are top, or at least in the top 5, of my all time favorite shows. BB is definitely #1, and BCS could easily be next to them depending on how the next season finishes.

I hope Vince Gilligan and company have another series in the works, and they can find great actors. The quality of these series seem to be 50% writing and 50% acting. The actors have been FANTASTIC, and the story has been amazing.

35 minutes ago, belcherboy said:

I'm going to be REALLY bummed when this series is over. I think Breaking Bad and BCS are top, or at least in the top 5, of my all time favorite shows. BB is definitely #1, and BCS could easily be next to them depending on how the next season finishes.

I hope Vince Gilligan and company have another series in the works, and they can find great actors. The quality of these series seem to be 50% writing and 50% acting. The actors have been FANTASTIC, and the story has been amazing.

Aaron Paul in particular really improved as BB went on. By seasons 4 and 5, he was one of the best actors on the show. I thought he was pretty awful at the beginning. Maybe it was the ridiculous dialogue they gave him. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 4:26 PM, Yoda said:

So basically, Jesse was busted by Hank trying to set the White's house on fire. He then fully cooperated with Hank and confessed everything while being recorded. 

It seems to me that all they had on Pinkman was that he was trying to set the house on fire. Otherwise they could have arrested him much sooner. He then basically admitted to MUCH larger crimes, but Hank never showed the tape to anyone and the Nazi's stole it from Hank's house after they killed him. 

As it stands, I'm not sure what anyone has on Jesse. 

3 hours ago, Yoda said:

So basically, Jesse was busted by Hank trying to set the White's house on fire. He then fully cooperated with Hank and confessed everything while being recorded. 

It seems to me that all they had on Pinkman was that he was trying to set the house on fire. Otherwise they could have arrested him much sooner. He then basically admitted to MUCH larger crimes, but Hank never showed the tape to anyone and the Nazi's stole it from Hank's house after they killed him. 

As it stands, I'm not sure what anyone has on Jesse. 

But remember, the Nazis used to watch the video and laugh --- I don't think they ever destroyed it........it would have been found by the cops and Jesse admits to a lot in that video and since Gus, Mike, Walt, Lydia, The Nazis and Todd are all dead and Saul is in the wind,  they are going to be looking for someone to pin this all on.   

14 hours ago, belcherboy said:

Chuck is a piece of crap that totally takes advantage of and abuses his brother Jimmy. It just feels like Jimmy gives up any attempt to be a legit lawyer because of his brother. I'm sure he was trending downward in his lawyer career, but Chuck comes from behind and shoves him downhill faster than he would have ever gone IMO.  

Remember in the early part of the series where Chuck watches Jimmy steal money from the cash register of his father's business? Chuck knew Jimmy was rotten very early on.