RedRamage

Feud: Verlander and (Freep writer) Anthony Fenech

Anyone know what this feud is about? 

Verlander had the Astros keep Anthony Fenech from getting into the clubhouse for "several minutes" after the other reporters were let in.  By the time he came in Verlander had finished talking to the other reports.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/08/22/justin-verlander-responds-dispute-tigers-beat-writer-heats-up/2083984001/

Verlander tweeted about it twice:

I declined to speak with the @freep rep last night because of his unethical behavior in the past. I reached out to the @freep multiple times before the game to notify them why and to give them an opportunity to have someone else there. Ironically they didn’t answer.

Although I tried to avoid this situation altogether, I’ve still reached out to @freep multiple times today with no response. They’re still not interested in my side of the story.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:17 PM, RedRamage said:

Anyone know what this feud is about? 

Verlander had the Astros keep Anthony Fenech from getting into the clubhouse for "several minutes" after the other reporters were let in.  By the time he came in Verlander had finished talking to the other reports.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/08/22/justin-verlander-responds-dispute-tigers-beat-writer-heats-up/2083984001/

Verlander tweeted about it twice:

Fight!  Fight!

The Freep's take.

Houston Astros, Justin Verlander and Detroit Free Press: Here's what happened

Cites 2-3 incidents, although the sports editor seems to gloss over the tweeting of details from a conversation Verlander considered private.

The relationship began to deteriorate on Aug. 22, 2017, when Fenech joined a conversation Verlander was having with Al Kaline in the Tigers' clubhouse at Comerica Park. Fenech had just finished an interview with Verlander a few minutes prior, and Kaline's name had come up. Fenech began talking to the two men. 

During the conversation, which was casual in nature, Verlander talked about his experiences travelling to Tennessee and watching the solar eclipse on Aug. 21. Fenech posted two tweets about the exchange, saying

"Justin Verlander watched the solar eclipse from the Path of Totality. 'It was the most beautiful thing I've seen in my life,' he said."

He seems to be somehow justifying this because Kaline's name had "come up" in the prior interview.   That seems to have no relationship at all to me.  

I don't know if that excuses JV's actions but I can see why he'd be pissed over it.

I get it and I don't.

Meaning if that was truly the infraction, Verlander reaction seems over the top even if it oughtn't have been tweeted.  It is largely innocuous.

OTOH, if this was the 10th time Fenech did it and Justin asked him 9 times prior to respect his privacy, then I could more easily see just cutting Anthony off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I get it and I don't.

Meaning if that was truly the infraction, Verlander reaction seems over the top even if it oughtn't have been tweeted.  It is largely innocuous.

OTOH, if this was the 10th time Fenech did it and Justin asked him 9 times prior to respect his privacy, then I could more easily see just cutting Anthony off.

I get it, when taken in context with the "misdiagnosis" article, which has comments Verlander apparently thought were off the record. Goes to credibility (at least in Verlander's mind).

I still think Verlander overreacted, though he's within his rights to refuse one-on-one interviews, and think the Astros were heavy-handed (and wrong) in banning Fenech and the Freep.

I'm less upset about what JV did and the Astros did than being reminded that the misdiagnosis possibly hurt the team... wasn't that 2014/2015/2016 era?  I know he was Cy Young caliber, should have won, in 2016, but perhaps a better year in 2014 gives them home field in the first round series.  Maybe 15 and 16 are different.  All because our crackpot medical staff.... maybe that's an overeaction on my part because I assume they are hiring very good people... but I also know from my wife's situations that you can get varying opinions so it's not always cut and dry.  Two experts can give a different opinion... who am I to argue? 

But i'm still bitter.

13 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I get it and I don't.

remember during ST this year Fenech kept taking video - pretty obviously without permission and IIRC from his own cryptic remarks he was called on it - at one point only half joking that it was for best that he was leaving Lakeland for a few days?  

I'm still going with the idea that  there was a drunken message to you know who..... 

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I'm still going with the idea that  there was a drunken message to you know who..... 

'...I wanna kiss ya...'

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

'...I wanna kiss ya...'

I don't care about the team strugggggglinggggg.

Side note: Joe claims that he was so embarrassed from that event that it caused him to take a hard look at his life / his alcoholism and has not had a drink since.  The first thing he did the morning after was call Suzy and beg her forgiveness.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Side note: Joe claims that he was so embarrassed from that event that it caused him to take a hard look at his life / his alcoholism and has not had a drink since.  The first thing he did the morning after was call Suzy and beg her forgiveness.

I heard him interviewed on Stern recently where he spoke very candidly about it. He's definitely an interesting cat.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Dennis Eckersley said the way his wife got him to quit drinking was to videotape him drunk and show it to him... that did the trick.

It seems like the final straw was when Verlander though Fenech was fishing for his phone number. Let us not forget that Verlander likes to take pics of ***** and nudes of his wife with his phone so he may be a little gun shy with his phone number. Perhaps Verlander could have just taken the card and not call him like a reasonable person would do.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Dennis Eckersley said the way his wife got him to quit drinking was to videotape him drunk and show it to him... that did the trick.

I hope there weren't any happy meals harmed during filming.

8 hours ago, Oblong said:

Yet somehow a Zapruder-quality film of a certain individual describing the Zumaya - ARod AB in the 8th inning of game 2 of the 2006 ALDS did not affect a similar commitment to sobriety.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yet somehow Zapruder-quality film of a certain individual describing the Zumaya - ARod AB in the 8th inning of game 2 of the 2006 ALDS did not affect a similar commitment to sobriety.

That and the mustard pack are my favorite contributions by an unnamed member of this forum.