RedRamage

Verlander: " arguably the best pitcher in franchise history"?

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It was a tongue planted firmly in cheek harkening back to arguments made here on whether Trout was really better than Cabrera back in 2012.

*breathes sigh of relief*

I'm glad!  I mean, everyone is totally entitled to an opinion about anything and that opinion can never be wrong.  But Mike Trout is as much of a sure thing as anything in this life at the moment.   

XOXO

~K

For one game or one series its Mickey Lolich..winning 3 games in the 1968 Series and beating Bob Gibson on 2 days rest in St. Louis in game 7 is proof. 

Plus for 6 years after the series , 1969 - 1974, he averaged 312 innings pitched. AVERAGED over 300 ip !!

Verlander has NEVER pitched 300 innings in one season. 

2 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

Verlander has NEVER picked 300 innings in one season. 

At least he has never been caught doing it on camera that many times.

31 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

For one game or one series its Mickey Lolich..winning 3 games in the 1968 Series and beating Bob Gibson on 2 days rest in St. Louis in game 7 is proof. 

Plus for 6 years after the series , 1969 - 1974, he averaged 312 innings pitched. AVERAGED over 300 ip !!

It's a different game. It's not like there are any pitchers throwing that many pitches/innings.

You would have to compare him to the league. I bet he would be top 10 in innings pitched most years. And, IMO, Justin Verlander is a throwback. I would bet he would have fit into a 4 man rotation of yesteryear.

This whole blocking a writer from a press conference is SO unlike him. I would love to hear his side of the story. The local paper here has him coming off looking like a jerk prima donna. Sorry Donna.  : )

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

what you can say about JV, is that regardless of whether he has been the best pitcher, he has had the best starter's arm in baseball since Ryan. Whether that means it will hold for him for anything like as long as it did for Ryan is the question. 

Justin Verlander is the Tom Brady of baseball. 😀

40 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

And neither has anyone else since 1980.

Five-man rotations and pitch counts and the huge increase in the use of relief pitchers -- not to mop up as many of them used to do, but rather to often throw one inning of gas to hold on to a lead or keep a game close -- mean that we'll never see another 300-inning season, and probably not another 300-game winner. 

8 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

another 300-game winner. 

Yup - If Houston stays good and JV's arm doesn't fall off he *might* get to 250.

Verlander's at 219 now, so he may reach 225 by the end of the season so he should comfortable get to 250. 

If he pitches another 5 seasons he would need to average 15 wins a year to get to 300.  It's a Longshot but given his history and how he is showing no signs of slowing down I wouldn't completely rule it out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yup - If Houston stays good and JV's arm doesn't fall off he *might* get to 250.

He's at 219 wins right now and he's signed for 2 more seasons with Houston. I would think 250 is well within reach. With the way players are paid these days, he could walk away at 38 years of age and wait for the Hall of Fame to call. If he wanted to work very hard to stay in shape, I could see him winning 300 games. Heck, Brad cost him several wins! 😂

If I had to bet whether JV will stick around long enough ..and remain good enough ..to win 300 games .. .... I certainly would not bet against it.

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Tigers (as well as every other team) actually passed on Trout twice. It's an example I use when saying baseball talent is very, very hard to judge.

With that being said? The Tigers would have traded Trout by now in hopes of contending someday. At least,  we wouldn't have signed him to a long term contract.

Imagine all the weak hitting position players and pitchers with control problems that Avila could have wrestled from some team for Mike Trout?

He would have been able to build the organizational depth.

9 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Imagine all the weak hitting position players and pitchers with control problems that Avila could have wrestled from some team for Mike Trout?

He would have been able to build the organizational depth.

Avila wouldn't have had a chance to trade him cause DD would've already dealt him.

I say that in tongue and cheek but I could see Trout being in that Anibal trade instead of Turner.  IIRC Turner was a top 15 prospect at the time.  If the Marlins asked for a top position prospect instead of a pitcher do you think Dombrowski would have said no?  I really don't know. 

17 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

If I had to bet whether JV will stick around long enough ..and remain good enough ..to win 300 games .. .... I certainly would not bet against it.

I'll bet he tries.  I hope his body holds up for a run at it.

3 hours ago, socaltiger said:

The last pitcher to pitch 300 innings in a season was Steve Carlton in 1980. Kinda an unfair comparison. 

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

This whole blocking a writer from a press conference is SO unlike him. I would love to hear his side of the story. The local paper here has him coming off looking like a jerk prima donna. Sorry Donna.  : )

Really? Verlander has always had a big ego. This seems so in character for him that it's hardly a story. 

5 hours ago, Kari Smith said:

*breathes sigh of relief*

I'm glad!  I mean, everyone is totally entitled to an opinion about anything and that opinion can never be wrong.  But Mike Trout is as much of a sure thing as anything in this life at the moment.   

XOXO

~K

Hey, I'm dumb, but I'm not stupid. :)

5 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Really? Verlander has always had a big ego. This seems so in character for him that it's hardly a story. 

I don't know. At least a few of the Tigers (Zimmerman, Kinsler) attended his wedding in Europe. We know that. We also know that he gave Don Kelly the hot foot in the dugout which was cool. So he had comraderie with at least some teammates.

I would be curious to know why you think he has the large ego. (Other than the fact he pitched opening day after Max won the CY.)

21 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I don't know. At least a few of the Tigers (Zimmerman, Kinsler) attended his wedding in Europe. We know that. We also know that he gave Don Kelly the hot foot in the dugout which was cool. So he had comraderie with at least some teammates.

I would be curious to know why you think he has the large ego. (Other than the fact he pitched opening day after Max won the CY.)

He does wear his pants really tight.  Could be trying to show off his large . . . er . . . ego.