Motor City Sonics

Former Tigers...........

I am off today with a messed up heel/achilles injury and I am bored...........so I thought I would dig into this project to see how our old friends are doing.....I was thinking about Justin Verlander wanting to bar Anthony Fenech from the Astros locker room, probably because of his criticism of Al Avila and I thought, lets see if Fenech's opinion was warranted.   This is going to be depressing.  

Cameron Maybin, Yankees   Hitting .301,  OBP is .381...........8 home runs.    We got Victor Alcantara - a warm body with upside.  Hard to judge him, I think he's better than his numbers show, infected with badteamitis. 

Chad Green, Yankees.    Not having a good year with an ERA 5.44 and WHIP 1.442.   He'd be a perfect fit for the Tiger pen.   We got Justin Wilson for him.  Justin got us Candelario.   

Luis Cessa, Yankees.    Warm body out of the bullpen.  Good for pitching in lost causes.    Career ERA 4.60.   Also from Justin Wilson trade

Willy Adames,  Rays.   High upside SS, but only hitting .248/.310/.712  He would lead the Tigers in HR with 15.   He'll get better and would be a major upgrade over anything the Tigers have right now.    David Price trade.   

Avisail Garcia,  Rays.   Hitting .278 2ith 17 home Runs.  Defensively he would be an upgrade over anything we have in the corners right now.   Jose Iglesias trade. 

J.D. Martinez,  Red Sox.   A hitting machine.  Lots of home runs.  Lots of power.  Strictly a DH now and never a good defender, but still better than what we've had in RF since.    We got Dawel Lugo (a utility guy at best),  Sergio Alcantra (a utility guy at best) and Jose King (a pinch runner at best?)  I know the experts say there was no market for JD at the time, but I think a better GM could have come away with more than this. 

Rick Porcello, Red Sox.    Had one great Cy Young season and has been bad ever since.   Still, he'd  be the #2 starter here right now.   Cespedes trade that landed us Fulmer eventually.   We may have won t his trade - if Fulmer recovers.   

David Price, Red Sox.    Wow, the Sox are greatly overpaying for what they are getting.   Seems like he's cashed in and seems to be more interested in feuding with ex-ballplayers and playing Fortnite.    We got Boyd & Norris.  I think we won this trade.  

Devon Travis, Blue Jays.    MIA this year. Looks like injury-prone player, but still better than Anthony Gose. 

Justin Verlander, Astros.   Hall of Famer.  Got better after leaving.  Key to winning a World Series for Houston.   We got a pitcher who can't stay healthy,  a defensive catcher and an outfielder that everyone loves but hits .220 in Triple A.  

Mike Fiers,  A's.   Welp, he's turned out to be a very good pitcher.  Not the Oakland ace, but close to it.   We got Nolan Blacwood and Logan Shore.  Hard to tell now, but I don't think we won this one.

Drew Smyly, Phllies.   He seems to have peaked in previous seasons.    Part of the David Price trade.   So in the long run we won.   

Justin Upton,  Angels.    At least we don't have to pay him anymore and that's a win

Brad Ausmus, Angels.     He's their problem now. 

Matt Joyce,  Braves.   A bench guy for the rest of the league.   We traded him for Edwin Jackson and now Edwin is our Ace.    Did we win that one? 

Max Scherzer,  Nationals.    I don't need to comment other than to say Kudos to Max. 

Anibal Sanchez, Nationals.   He found himself again.   We could use him, but I understand why we cut him loose. 

Rajai Davis, Mets.   He's had his moments but I don't miss him. 

Curtis Grandeson, Marlins.    One of my favorite all-time Tigers.  We got Kudos To Max for him so I can't complain.  Time to hang 'em up, Curtis and run for Congress.   

Bryan Holaday, Marlins    He's actually hitting .298 for the Marlins

Leonys Martin, Indians.  Well, he fell off this year.   We got Willi Castro, who looks like yet another DH.  He can't field.  

James McCann, White Sox.    What did the White Sox figure out that we could not?   This one infuriates me.  

Nick Castellanos, Cubs.   Hard to tell in the long run, but He's killing it so far.   

Hernan Perez, Brewers.    A warm body utility man.  A dime a dozen player

Jose Iglesias, Reds.   We didn't bring him back.  We signed Jordy Mercer instead.  We signed Mercer for $5.2 million, the Reds signed Iglesias for $2.5 million.   Iggy is hitting .295 and Jordy sucks.  

Eugenio Suarez,  Reds.   34 bombs this year, 34 last year.   He'll more than double the Tigers leader in HRs this year.   We traded him for a horrible pitcher.   This is the most inexplicable trade in recent memory for me.   

Francisco Liriano, Pirates.    I don't know, but I think we could use him.   

Alex Avila, Diamondbacks.    His OBP is .381 this year.   Left handed bat.   Could play C/1B.    His dad is the GM.   We couldn't make this work?

Robbie Ray, Diamondbacks.      We got Shane Green for him, I think Ray's value is much higher as a left handed starter and we have his clone in Matthew Boyd, but having both would be nice.   If we'd kept him and traded him at this year's deadline, Al would have gotten a adjustable stand-up desk for him and would have called that the best deal he could have gotten. 

Ian Kinsler, Padres.   Tigers got rid of him at the right time.  He was a good Tiger, but it was over.   I could see him managing the team one day. 

yeah, I know I missed a few.  I can only take so much abuse.   But I can't, for the life of me, figure out how Al Avila got a contract extension and I can't understand why this organization can't develop talent and how other teams find it in players where we could not. 

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am off today with a messed up heel/achilles injury and I am bored...........so I thought I would dig into this project to see how our old friends are doing.....I was thinking about Justin Verlander wanting to bar Anthony Fenech from the Astros locker room, probably because of his criticism of Al Avila and I thought, lets see if Fenech's opinion was warranted.   This is going to be depressing.  

Cameron Maybin, Yankees   Hitting .301,  OBP is .381...........8 home runs.    We got Victor Alcantara - a warm body with upside.  Hard to judge him, I think he's better than his numbers show, infected with badteamitis. 

Chad Green, Yankees.    Not having a good year with an ERA 5.44 and WHIP 1.442.   He'd be a perfect fit for the Tiger pen.   We got Justin Wilson for him.  Justin got us Candelario.   

Luis Cessa, Yankees.    Warm body out of the bullpen.  Good for pitching in lost causes.    Career ERA 4.60.   Also from Justin Wilson trade

Willy Adames,  Rays.   High upside SS, but only hitting .248/.310/.712  He would lead the Tigers in HR with 15.   He'll get better and would be a major upgrade over anything the Tigers have right now.    David Price trade.   

Avisail Garcia,  Rays.   Hitting .278 2ith 17 home Runs.  Defensively he would be an upgrade over anything we have in the corners right now.   Jose Iglesias trade. 

J.D. Martinez,  Red Sox.   A hitting machine.  Lots of home runs.  Lots of power.  Strictly a DH now and never a good defender, but still better than what we've had in RF since.    We got Dawel Lugo (a utility guy at best),  Sergio Alcantra (a utility guy at best) and Jose King (a pinch runner at best?)  I know the experts say there was no market for JD at the time, but I think a better GM could have come away with more than this. 

Rick Porcello, Red Sox.    Had one great Cy Young season and has been bad ever since.   Still, he'd  be the #2 starter here right now.   Cespedes trade that landed us Fulmer eventually.   We may have won t his trade - if Fulmer recovers.   

David Price, Red Sox.    Wow, the Sox are greatly overpaying for what they are getting.   Seems like he's cashed in and seems to be more interested in feuding with ex-ballplayers and playing Fortnite.    We got Boyd & Norris.  I think we won this trade.  

Devon Travis, Blue Jays.    MIA this year. Looks like injury-prone player, but still better than Anthony Gose. 

Justin Verlander, Astros.   Hall of Famer.  Got better after leaving.  Key to winning a World Series for Houston.   We got a pitcher who can't stay healthy,  a defensive catcher and an outfielder that everyone loves but hits .220 in Triple A.  

Mike Fiers,  A's.   Welp, he's turned out to be a very good pitcher.  Not the Oakland ace, but close to it.   We got Nolan Blacwood and Logan Shore.  Hard to tell now, but I don't think we won this one.

Drew Smyly, Phllies.   He seems to have peaked in previous seasons.    Part of the David Price trade.   So in the long run we won.   

Justin Upton,  Angels.    At least we don't have to pay him anymore and that's a win

Brad Ausmus, Angels.     He's their problem now. 

Matt Joyce,  Braves.   A bench guy for the rest of the league.   We traded him for Edwin Jackson and now Edwin is our Ace.    Did we win that one? 

Max Scherzer,  Nationals.    I don't need to comment other than to say Kudos to Max. 

Anibal Sanchez, Nationals.   He found himself again.   We could use him, but I understand why we cut him loose. 

Rajai Davis, Mets.   He's had his moments but I don't miss him. 

Curtis Grandeson, Marlins.    One of my favorite all-time Tigers.  We got Kudos To Max for him so I can't complain.  Time to hang 'em up, Curtis and run for Congress.   

Bryan Holaday, Marlins    He's actually hitting .298 for the Marlins

Leonys Martin, Indians.  Well, he fell off this year.   We got Willi Castro, who looks like yet another DH.  He can't field.  

James McCann, White Sox.    What did the White Sox figure out that we could not?   This one infuriates me.  

Nick Castellanos, Cubs.   Hard to tell in the long run, but He's killing it so far.   

Hernan Perez, Brewers.    A warm body utility man.  A dime a dozen player

Jose Iglesias, Reds.   We didn't bring him back.  We signed Jordy Mercer instead.  We signed Mercer for $5.2 million, the Reds signed Iglesias for $2.5 million.   Iggy is hitting .295 and Jordy sucks.  

Eugenio Suarez,  Reds.   34 bombs this year, 34 last year.   He'll more than double the Tigers leader in HRs this year.   We traded him for a horrible pitcher.   This is the most inexplicable trade in recent memory for me.   

Francisco Liriano, Pirates.    I don't know, but I think we could use him.   

Alex Avila, Diamondbacks.    His OBP is .381 this year.   Left handed bat.   Could play C/1B.    His dad is the GM.   We couldn't make this work?

Robbie Ray, Diamondbacks.      We got Shane Green for him, I think Ray's value is much higher as a left handed starter and we have his clone in Matthew Boyd, but having both would be nice.   If we'd kept him and traded him at this year's deadline, Al would have gotten a adjustable stand-up desk for him and would have called that the best deal he could have gotten. 

Ian Kinsler, Padres.   Tigers got rid of him at the right time.  He was a good Tiger, but it was over.   I could see him managing the team one day. 

yeah, I know I missed a few.  I can only take so much abuse.   But I can't, for the life of me, figure out how Al Avila got a contract extension and I can't understand why this organization can't develop talent and how other teams find it in players where we could not. 

Half of those guys were under Dombrowski's watch and guys like Liriano, Avila, Fiers and Martin were specifically picked up by him to flip, so the fact that he identified their talent in the first place should say something.     

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Half of those guys were under Dombrowski's watch and guys like Liriano, Avila, Fiers and Martin were specifically picked up by him to flip, so the fact that he identified their talent in the first place should say something.     

Ausmus was the biggest part of why Sanchez could not succeed in Det. No matter what Anibal had on a given day, Ausmus always wanted just enough more to ruin his day. Part of that was because the pen was so bad but is still goes back to Sanchez being the wrong fit. Just an example of one particular guy who could not play for one particular manager.

Mike Fiers won his 12th game last night by beating the Yankees. 

Regarding an article I mentioned yesterday about Billy Beane and the A’s, why don’t the Tigers take notes! I was very surprised to learn that the A’s only have six guys on their 25 man roster that are home grown. Whatever system they use, it works. Avila should do an internship under Beane.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

But Al was part of Dombrowski's team.........

Saw Maybin at the top of the list and thought, wait, we got Cabrera for him. Took me a minute to remember he had a second tour. 

1/2 those guys were free agents to be so how did we "lose" the trades when we got something in the middle of a season vs nothing at the end?

Suarez was a huge error.   

Adames is Lynn Henning's favorite dead horse but I'm still not entirely convinced that it was a bad deal when you run it out to the end result.

6 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Adames is Lynn Henning's favorite dead horse but I'm still not entirely convinced that it was a bad deal when you run it out to the end result.

No, the outfield fences are his favorite dead horse.  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

No, the outfield fences are his favorite dead horse.  

I stand corrected.

Why pine for those guys when we have guys like Jeimer Candelario, Dawel Lugo, and Jake Rogers that can't hit MLB pitching, not to mention all the other guys from those trades that can't hit minor league pitching either.  

I can't wait to usher in the Jose King/Sergio Alcantara era!

I'm amazed at Maybin's season this year. Seems like he's finding his full potential at 32.

Same for Anibal. He's been good before but he really looked toast at the end of his Tiger tenure.

Hindsight being what it is, Suarez is the real stinger of all those. The things you do when in in "win now" mode

If anything, I think this goes to show how hard it can be to predict a ballplayers future. The whole thing feels like more or less of a crapshoot.

Here's a new article that sort of fits this thread.....the Tigers track record can't be that bad when 2nd place of "the ones that got away" is All Star James McCann....;-)    Or the person that wrote the article isn't very knowledgeable.

The Future Star Who Got Away From Each MLB Team

Tigers: Eugenio Suárez (traded for Alfredo Simón), 12.5 WAR

Also: James McCann (lost in free agency)

Also....beginning to think the author isn't the brightest based on this:

Indians: Jesús Aguilar (claimed on waivers), 4.3 WAR

Also: Cameron Maybin (purchased)

Steven Moya is now playing in Japan. At the time of this posting, Moya is hitting.281/10 HR/43 RBI’s. He’s been traded or DFA’d at least once. I hope he picks up his play, soon. In Japan, I’ve been told the GM’s put the foreign born players under a lot of stress and demand excellent effort every day. Foreign born players can make big money in Japan, however their is very little tolerance for an extended slump or poor defensive play. Japanese baseball is big on fundamentals. The Japanese teams start their spring training with snow on the ground.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:48 AM, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

Steven Moya is now playing in Japan. At the time of this posting, Moya is hitting.281/10 HR/43 RBI’s. He’s been traded or DFA’d at least once. I hope he picks up his play, soon. In Japan, I’ve been told the GM’s put the foreign born players under a lot of stress and demand excellent effort every day. Foreign born players can make big money in Japan, however their is very little tolerance for an extended slump or poor defensive play. Japanese baseball is big on fundamentals. The Japanese teams start their spring training with snow on the ground.

So??????    There is usually snow on the ground in Detroit when the Tigers start spring training.     The Tiger's hitting coach appears to be not big on fundamentals.

BTW, He missed Fernando Rodney, Justin Wilson, & Shane Green.   

On 8/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, JackPine said:

I'm amazed at Maybin's season this year. Seems like he's finding his full potential at 32.

Same for Anibal. He's been good before but he really looked toast at the end of his Tiger tenure.

Hindsight being what it is, Suarez is the real stinger of all those. The things you do when in in "win now" mode

If anything, I think this goes to show how hard it can be to predict a ballplayers future. The whole thing feels like more or less of a crapshoot.

The Yankees are onto something when it comes to getting good performances out of hitters lately. 

I became interested in Japanese baseball when former Montreal Expo Warren Cromartie signed with the Tokyo Giants in ‘83. It can be difficult waking up to watch games at 3:30am. I like to watch the games live.

Guess who each of the following two 2019 to-date stat -lines belong to:

G  PA  AB   R   H  2B 3B   HR RBI SB CS  BB SO   BA  OBP   SLG  OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
119 482 435 36 123  20  0   10  52  0  0  40 98 0.283 0.344 0.398 0.742 95 173   17   3  0  4   3
127 461 439 56 130  18  3      9  50  5  5  16 63 0.296 0.324 0.412 0.736 88 181   15   3  1  2   3

3 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

definitely Miguel in the top line. 

..the other line is Jose Iglesias with Cincinnati this year.