UCFKNIGHT92

Victor Reyes

so many below average players, its so exciting to find out which one will hit .230 for the tigers next year!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so many below average players, its so exciting to find out which one will hit .230 for the tigers next year!

Your shooting too hi with your expectations

On 8/21/2019 at 10:46 AM, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

Christin Stewart could be the odd man out of a roster spot, if Daz Cameron has a good spring training in 2020.

Christin Stewart being the odd man out of a starting outfield position should be a sign of improvement for the team.

11 hours ago, gmoney said:

And as far as playing Stewart at 1st base...you really want to put a guy who sucks on offense at the premier offensive position on the field?  

Detroit 1Bmen have OPS'd a robust .681 on the year.  Stewart has been a bit better at .714.

But, in my mind, this isn't an idea about this season or next season, but more for a few seasons down the road and how to match some offense with the (hopeful) graduation of the current Erie pitching staff in Detroit.

And while I realize moving Stewart to 1B might not (ie, probably won't) work out defensively, I don't think leaving him in LF is a recipe for success either.  I think its something where the unlikely reward is worth the likely not much different than where we are at risk if they try something like this out in winter ball and/or spring training.

8 hours ago, leflore said:

Your shooting too hi with your expectations

....and he wonders why he's always disappointed.

If the Tiger's do succeed in building and maintaining one of MLB's very best pitching staffs within 2 to 4 years ..I think outstanding defense is going to be the key ..along with consistently exhibiting top tier baseball fundamentals on both sides of the ball. 

Need good offense too ..but not necessarily top-ten offense.  Because even the best offense won't mean squat if defense and baseball fundamentals are lower-tier.

Just now, Tigrrfan said:

If the Tiger's do succeed in building and maintaining one of MLB's very best pitching staffs within 2 to 4 years ..I think outstanding defense is going to be the key ..along with consistently exhibiting top tier baseball fundamentals on both sides of the ball. 

Need good offense too ..but not necessarily top-ten offense.  Because even the best offense won't mean squat if defense and baseball fundamentals are lower-tier.

I think one of the byproducts of the modern day pitching staff is the lack of available platoon situations among the position players.  We've gone from 11 man pitching staffs to 13 which reduces the spots on the roster for L/R hitting options.  Not that that is what's killing the Tigers' offense right now.  The best way for some of the Tigers to get on base right now is to stand on the plate and take one rather than standing in either batter's box and flailing at them.

On 8/21/2019 at 9:47 PM, Tenacious D said:

Reyes doesn’t walk.  At best, he’s a 4th OF.

yeah, I do not see much upside in Reyes.  If the Tigers had an average team, we wouldn't even be talking about him.  

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

yeah, I do not see much upside in Reyes.  If the Tigers had an average team, we wouldn't even be talking about him.  

he's a crappy defender, too.  How many other outfielders has he almost killed this season?

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

i'm pretty sure that's avila's blueprint for this team, right?  play in a big ballpark that should play well for speedy guys who hit balls into the alleys on offense, and get speedy outfielders who can cover those gaps on defense.  rely on pitching and defense and build the 2015 royals 2.0.

at least that's what i think his blueprint is.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i'm pretty sure that's avila's blueprint for this team, right?  play in a big ballpark that should play well for speedy guys who hit balls into the alleys on offense, and get speedy outfielders who can cover those gaps on defense.  rely on pitching and defense and build the 2015 royals 2.0.

The Royals?  So, they are going to suck for 5+ years , have a couple good years and then suck again?

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The Royals?  So, they are going to suck for 5+ years , have a couple good years and then suck again?

if it includes a WS win, I'd be interested.

11 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

i suppose they would build a running/pitching/defense team and then not tear it down like the royals did.

and the tigers are going to suck for 5+ years (from 2017-2022) anyway.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

if it includes a WS win, I'd be interested.

You can't build for World Series wins.  That is largely a matter of luck.  The best management approach is to have as many winning seasons as possible and hope one results in a championship. 

Just now, Buddha said:

i suppose they would build a running/pitching/defense team and then not tear it down like the royals did.

and the tigers are going to suck for 5+ years (from 2017-2022) anyway.

I think that a pitching dominated team is not likely to last as log due to injuries though.  

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

You can't build for World Series wins.  That is largely a matter of luck.  The best management approach is to have as many winning seasons as possible and hope one results in a championship. 

The Braves had it right, they were just unlucky

27 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think that a pitching dominated team is not likely to last as log due to injuries though.  

i think an organization that is able to identify and develop talent, coupled with an owner who is willing to spend money to keep that talent and supplement it when necessary, will win no matter what your offensive or defensive philosophy.

i dont have faith that the tigers have that kind of organization right now.

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think an organization that is able to identify and develop talent, coupled with an owner who is willing to spend money to keep that talent and supplement it when necessary, will win no matter what your offensive or defensive philosophy.

i dont have faith that the tigers have that kind of organization right now.

That is true, but I think a team which has a good core of position players is likely to be more stable from year to year.  On the other hand, if you have a core of pitchers that all come together at the same time, you can get good fast even if the success may be fleeting.  Regardless, I also don't have great faith in the Tigers organization now.  I have not written them off, but am not optimistic.    

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Yes, this.  In general, I think this is what they are trying to do, and via the building from within approach.

59 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

That is true, but I think a team which has a good core of position players is likely to be more stable from year to year.  On the other hand, if you have a core of pitchers that all come together at the same time, you can get good fast even if the success may be fleeting.  Regardless, I also don't have great faith in the Tigers organization now.  I have not written them off, but am not optimistic.    

I don't know about building heavier on pitchers vs position players.  I can see arguments for both, but prefer a balanced approach.

I have not written off the current management yet, but they need to see some more improvement with the minors.

13 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yes, this.  In general, I think this is what they are trying to do, and via the building from within approach.

I don't know about building heavier on pitchers vs position players.  I can see arguments for both, but prefer a balanced approach.

I have not written off the current management yet, but they need to see some more improvement with the minors.

Yes, balanced is best.  

Which is why AA is scrambling for position players.

He's built a deep and talented pitching reservoir in the minors... They'll need some support and I think he recognizes that.

So...

Where's our next Miggy Cabrera trade?

And J.D. find?

And Guillen & Polanco trades?

And Pudge signing?

50 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Which is why AA is scrambling for position players.

He's built a deep and talented pitching reservoir in the minors... They'll need some support and I think he recognizes that.

So...

Where's our next Miggy Cabrera trade?

And J.D. find?

And Guillen & Polanco trades?

And Pudge signing?

it's not going to happen through trades.  I'm not even confident that we have enough starting pitching that we can trade from that.

While I tend to agree, you could have said the same when we got Guillen for scraps and Polanco for Urbina.  Even The Infante and Sanchez trade didn't cost a top 50 MLB prospect.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Yes, balanced is best.  

The system looks unbalanced now, but they have taken a lot of position players high in the last two years, so maybe the knock that the org is too pitching focused will work itself out.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

So Avila just has to

find speedy guys who hit balls into the alleys on offense

get speedy outfielders who can cover those gaps on defense

rely on their pitching

rely on their defense

We have exactly 1 guy on the team now who kind of fits into a category: Jacoby Jones

I don't see any of the Tigers minor leaguers as can't miss guys.