UCFKNIGHT92

Victor Reyes

Playing everyday is giving him confidence. He definitely looks more comfortable out there, in 2019. Sending him to AAA, out of spring training ,was a good decision by the Tigers brass. Do the Tigers move JaCoby Jones to the LF or RF field in 2020?  Christin Stewart could be the odd man out of a roster spot, if Daz Cameron has a good spring training in 2020.

3 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

Playing everyday is giving him confidence. He definitely looks more comfortable out there, in 2019. Sending him to AAA, out of spring training ,was a good decision by the Tigers brass. Do the Tigers move JaCoby Jones to the LF or RF field in 2020?  Christin Stewart could be the odd man out of a roster spot, if Daz Cameron has a good spring training in 2020.

Where would you put Travis Demeritte?

My mistake. I forgot about Travis Demeritte. Outfield competition is going to be a nice problem for the Tigers brass to solve. I would make JaCoby Jones a utility player. He has experience at SS and we can say goodbye to Jordy Mercer and Ronny Rodriguez. Keep Brandon Dixon, too. 

44 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

I don't see Reyes playing CF if either Jones or Cameron were in the line-up. Otherwise yes. 

1 hour ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

My mistake. I forgot about Travis Demeritte. Outfield competition is going to be a nice problem for the Tigers brass to solve. I would make JaCoby Jones a utility player. He has experience at SS and we can say goodbye to Jordy Mercer and Ronny Rodriguez. Keep Brandon Dixon, too. 

Right now I would go with Reyes in LF, Jones in CF, and Demeritte in RF, Stewart on the bench, and Cameron in AAA until he shows some aptitude at the plate.  That's just based on performance, and can still change between now and then.

Mercer is a free agent and unlikely to be retained.

Hopefully Rodriguez is not retained.

Dixon is likely back next season.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't see Reyes playing CF if either Jones or Cameron were in the line-up. Otherwise yes. 

Yeah, extremely small sample size, but the only Tiger game we saw, Reyes misplaced the first ball of the game into a triple.  The next Toledo game we saw, he misplaced the first ball of the game into another triple.  Again, extremely small sample, but he doesn't appear to read the ball too well in center.  (I can't say anything myself as I can't read the ball well from anywhere 🤣)

This Spring, the Tigers had too many starters.  Next Spring, too many outfielders.  😉

I would play Reyes everyday in Leftfield for the remainder of the season. If he continues to improve then its his for 2020 to lose. 

I like what JaCoby started showing this year and next year I'd give him every opportunity to build on that.    I think maybe if Travis or Christian want to stick in the majors, they should be taking a lot of practice at First Base.   Both of them in the OF at the same time is a complete liability.     Travis played 2,800 innings at Second Base and had a Fldg Pct of .973 in the minors.    I think he could probably handle First Base.  

I would like to see Victor build his physique and have no doubt the Tigers will be doing that with him in the offseason.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I like what JaCoby started showing this year and next year I'd give him every opportunity to build on that.    I think maybe if Travis or Christian want to stick in the majors, they should be taking a lot of practice at First Base.   Both of them in the OF at the same time is a complete liability.     Travis played 2,800 innings at Second Base and had a Fldg Pct of .973 in the minors.    I think he could probably handle First Base.  

I would like to see Victor build his physique and have no doubt the Tigers will be doing that with him in the offseason.  

Stewart is probably as good as he will be on defense, but I think they can afford to give Demeritte some time in RF.  This is only his second season out there after playing infield from 2013-8.

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Stewart is probably as good as he will be on defense, but I think they can afford to give Demeritte some time in RF.  This is only his second season out there after playing infield from 2013-8.

Stewart has the bigger problem because being short and RH he is a bad fit for 1st. His fielding profile is DH, but we have one of those.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Stewart has the bigger problem because being short and RH he is a bad fit for 1st. His fielding profile is DH, but we have one of those.

Come on, he's not very good.   He's basically Steven Moya,  who would have had more of a chance to prove himself with a team like this.  

13 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

should have traded him before he got to the majors and proved his ineptitude

4 minutes ago, JackPine said:

should have traded him before he got to the majors and proved his ineptitude

I doubt they would have gotten much for him.    Of course if he was with the Twins this year he'd have 35 home runs.............

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I doubt they would have gotten much for him.    Of course if he was with the Twins this year he'd have 35 home runs.............

I will guess he has 500 more AB to prove his isn't just blocking someone else.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I will guess he has 500 more AB to prove his isn't just blocking someone else.

Lets at least hope so................(on the blocking someone else part). 

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Come on, he's not very good.   He's basically Steven Moya,  who would have had more of a chance to prove himself with a team like this.  

Ouch.  I'm not sure he's that bad.

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Stewart has the bigger problem because being short and RH he is a bad fit for 1st.

It worked out fine for Jeff Bagwell.

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

No. He's terrible. He only appears good because he's in the worst lineup ever. They need to do better than him. Much better. 

Welp, OK, let's put nobody in LF for the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Welp, OK, let's put nobody in LF for the rest of the season.

I deleted my post. I get him confused with Castro. I'm indifferent to Reyes. And I was commenting on his idea of just handing him a job in 2020. I wouldn't do that with Reyes or Castro, no matter how they finish the season. 

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I deleted my post. I get him confused with Castro. I'm indifferent to Reyes. And I was commenting on his idea of just handing him a job in 2020. I wouldn't do that with Reyes or Castro, no matter how they finish the season. 

Reyes is on a pretty nice streak the past month.  I know its cherry picking a bit, but if he can continue this pace, who do you start in his place next season?  Stewart?

Castro is probably a decent utility player at his max.  A lot of people like his batting average, but its empty.

There's a lot of room for improvement all over the team.  I get the impression that the Tigers might just go with what they have in house for next season as its "MLB ready" (debatable) and cheap (well, those not named Cabrera).  They can probably afford to get away with it and see if any of it pans out.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Reyes doesn’t walk.  At best, he’s a 4th OF.

SSS, still, but ironically, he is walking more so far in Det than he did at AAA. 

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

SSS, still, but ironically, he is walking more so far in Det than he did at AAA. 

I would love to be proven wrong about him.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:29 AM, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

You are talking about competition between a bunch of guys who are below average hitters....Stewart, Reyes, Jones, Demeritte, and Cameron.  It's not like the Tigers have Mike Trout, Christian Yelich, Cody Bellinger, Juan Soto, and Ronald Acuna battling it out for 3 spots.  Jones is one of the best defensive center fielders in the league, so why put a lesser player who will probably not provide the power that Jones provides in his place?  And why get rid of Mercer or Rodriguez?  Mercer has arguably been the best hitter on the team over the last few months.  He is inexpensive, provides a veteran presence, and is a complete professional.  With all the young players, you need some kind of leadership.  

The Tigers easily have the worst 3rd basemen in the league.  Candelario has already proven he can't hit.  Lugo is well on his way to proving he can't hit either, but might as well give him at least the first half of next year to verify it.  What else are they going to do?  I'd rather see Rodriguez play 3rd for an extended amount of time instead of the stupid Gardenhire revolving position crap that he has been pulling all year.

The Tigers have the worst hitting catchers in the league.  Somedays Hicks looks like a decent hitter and other days he looks outmatched.  Rogers and Greiner do not resemble MLB hitters in any way, shape, or form.  Rogers might be a decent back up catcher on the right team as long as he only has to play about once a week so you can hide his bat.

And as far as playing Stewart at 1st base...you really want to put a guy who sucks on offense at the premier offensive position on the field?