Keepleyland2

8/19 @8:10 Detroit Tigers at Houston Astros

31 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Gardy mad

Miggy might have gotten kicked out over the weekend.  That would have worked out nicely.  But why today?

Just now, ktpinnacle said:

Miggy might have gotten kicked out over the weekend.  That would have worked out nicely.  But why today?

Whether it is what happened tonight or not, Gardenhire does need to stop bailing Cabrera out with the umps. It's one thing to take the bullet for one of your guys who crosses the line with the ump once, but after the 5th or 6th time you're just playing enabler.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Whether it is what happened tonight or not, Gardenhire does need to stop bailing Cabrera out with the umps. It's one thing to take the bullet for one of your guys who crosses the line with the ump once, but after the 5th or 6th time you're just playing enabler.

You're not wrong but its Gardy's "policy" to stand up for his players and he doesn't seem like the type to make exceptions

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

This could get really ugly. Astros 4-1

No Jake Rogers led team will give in that easily.

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Miggy does seem to be on a roll.  I just don't know that yapping at the umps does you a lot of good.  Might be entertaining to some of the fans, but he thinks he deserves the rep of Ted Williams among the umps.  He doesn't get it.

1 hour ago, ktpinnacle said:

Miggy does seem to be on a roll.  I just don't know that yapping at the umps does you a lot of good.  Might be entertaining to some of the fans, but he thinks he deserves the rep of Ted Williams among the umps.  He doesn't get it.

Cabrera is claiming that Altuve was on-deck and he was yelling back and forth to him, not riding the Ump. Now certainly if Cabrera was jawing Altuve, it would have been in Spanish. The question would be whether Alfonzo Marquez  is a Spanish speaker. If he is, Cabrera's claim the Ump didn't know who he was talking to is not so credible. If Marquez does not speak Spanish, then could be.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I also fail to see how getting yourself thrown out after the player has already been tossed, is bailing anyone out. I can see it if the player is about to get tossed, so the manager jumps in first and takes the grenade. If the player is already gone though, what's the point?

21 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I also fail to see how getting yourself thrown out after the player has already been tossed, is bailing anyone out. I can see it if the player is about to get tossed, so the manager jumps in first and takes the grenade. If the player is already gone though, what's the point?

agreed- like JP noted, whatever the original logic it seems it's just gotten reflexive with Gardenhire now.  Or maybe, if Cabrera is telling the truth about what happened and Gardenhire knew it, he was just mad at Marquez himself -  maybe.

10 hours ago, ktpinnacle said:

Williams could hit into his late 30s / early 40s.  Cabrera seems to have stalled in his mid 30s.

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Cabrera is claiming that Altuve was on-deck and he was yelling back and forth to him, not riding the Ump. Now certainly if Cabrera was jawing Altuve, it would have been in Spanish. The question would be whether Alfonzo Marquez  is a Spanish speaker. If he is, Cabrera's claim the Ump didn't know who he was talking to is not so credible. If Marquez does not speak Spanish, then could be.

Cabrera needs to just shut up and put up for the remainder of that awful contract, or he and the Tigers just need to come to an agreement that, here's a big bag of cash, please retire.

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

Williams could hit into his late 30s / early 40s.  Cabrera seems to have stalled in his mid 30s.

I was referring specifically to Williams eye at the plate.  Wasn't that joke (Mr. XXXXX will tell you when it's a strike) referring to Williams?  Or was it Hornsby?

Miggy doesn't do himself any favors with his theatrics at the plate, i.e., exaggerating how inside a pitch is to get a call.  Those are still pitches he used to turn on a few years ago and hit 450 feet.  Oh, yes.  He's not the same.  Hope he can get some work done on his knee in the offseason.

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

Cabrera needs to just shut up and put up for the remainder of that awful contract, or he and the Tigers just need to come to an agreement that, here's a big bag of cash, please retire.

I bet it's the last time he has a private chat across the field with his little buddy. Maybe he ought to spend more time in the cage or looking at film between ABs instead.

On 8/19/2019 at 9:19 AM, LooseGoose said:

It's too bad Al Avila doesn't know that these guys would be scoring 9 a game with another hitting coach.   Fire Avila!!

It certainly wouldn't be 9..........But it sure would be better than their MLB low of current 3.6 runs per game.