Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Preseason Games Thread

if stafford is hurt, misses significant time, and the lions win only 4 or 5 games, does that buy quinn amd patricia another year?

i think it would buy patricia another year, but i think quinn might get axed if that happens.  9, 9, 6, 5 gets your fired nowadays.  especially with all the money they spent this offseason.

Tavai make a bunch of nice plays on the first two drives against Houston’s top unit.   Twice shedded a block to make a tackle, once took on a block to force the play towards his help who made the tackle, also had a nice QB pressure that forced a missed throw on 3rd down.    Reeves Maybin also had a few nice plays and Tracy Walker continued to make his presence known.   He’s got a chance to be a good one.

I really don’t know why anyone cares at all about these garbage games. They’re nothing but controlled scrimmages of mostly 2s and 3s, and unwatchable as helll. How do the Lions look? None of us know. We haven’t actually seen them play yet

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

wagner has never looked more than average in his entire time here, but what's the alternative?

Waiting to be cut by another team.  

The Quinn era was just the kind of change that the Lions needed...it's not that Mayhew was some lousy person or the worst GM in the league....he just didn't meet the standards of success that the organization wanted. 

It's clear as the best thing for the organization will be to remove Quinn if they are not able to exceed expectations and make the playoffs this year.

I realize replacong Quinn after this year would create a setback in terms of next year, but this organization has to get into the mindset of accountability, and not just hanging on to whoever they have.  4 years is a lifetime in the modern NFL.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Waiting to be cut by another team.  

and you think that player - who wasnt good enough to make another team's roster - will be better than joe average rick wagner?

i mean, maybe? but i doubt it.  unless there is a surprise out there i doubt it happens.

but next year i expect wagner to be cut.

4 hours ago, sabretooth said:

The Quinn era was just the kind of change that the Lions needed...it's not that Mayhew was some lousy person or the worst GM in the league....he just didn't meet the standards of success that the organization wanted. 

It's clear as the best thing for the organization will be to remove Quinn if they are not able to exceed expectations and make the playoffs this year.

I realize replacong Quinn after this year would create a setback in terms of next year, but this organization has to get into the mindset of accountability, and not just hanging on to whoever they have.  4 years is a lifetime in the modern NFL.

How would the Quinn era be a "change the Lions needed" if it was a flop? 

18 hours ago, Buddha said:

if stafford is hurt, misses significant time, and the lions win only 4 or 5 games, does that buy quinn amd patricia another year?

i think it would buy patricia another year, but i think quinn might get axed if that happens.  9, 9, 6, 5 gets your fired nowadays.  especially with all the money they spent this offseason.

Yes, I think a Stafford injury buys them both another year.  I think Quinn and Patricia are married here in Detroit.  If Quinn goes, Patricia goes.  I suppose it's possible that Quinn fires Patricia, but I don't see that happening.

This team is still owned by a Ford.  I believe they could go 0-16 again and Quinn would still have a job.  

12 hours ago, jb84 said:

How would the Quinn era be a "change the Lions needed" if it was a flop? 

Because Martha was fairly decisive.

8 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This team is still owned by a Ford.  I believe they could go 0-16 again and Quinn would still have a job.  

Martha fired Mayhew one year removed from an 11 win season. WCF even fired Millen after an 0-16 season. 

On 8/19/2019 at 9:22 AM, sabretooth said:

Because Martha was fairly decisive.

well, martha firing Mayhew WAS decisive, but still don't see the Quinn era a needed change

On 8/19/2019 at 8:43 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I felt T&P had a good game.

Rounding into form.  I don’t feel practice reps are enough. 

33 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Rounding into form.  I don’t feel practice reps are enough. 

HOLDING!!!!!!!

God, these refs are TERRIBLE!

Obviously cheating.

4 hours ago, jb84 said:

well, martha firing Mayhew WAS decisive, but still don't see the Quinn era a needed change

Quinn was also the first GM hire made in Ford/Lions history of someone outside of the organization based on perceived merit.  Succeed or fail, that is a seismic and positive shift.

One series would quiet the media taking heads, give the paying fans something of value for their admission price, and probably help Stafford with live reps against a different defense.    

That’s why I expect Patricia to sit him again tonight. 

Well 12 projected starting QBs including Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady didn't take a snap the first two preseason games. This isn't a Lions/Patricia thing. This seems to be a new standard in the NFL. With injuries to Newton's preseason injury, I doubt Stafford will play.

You can't even compare Stafford to Ro . . . . . . . . I honestly could care less if Stafford plays in the preseason at this point. As long as he is healthy and has Bevell's offense down for week one I'll be fine. If he and the offense come out looking like a dumpster fire as they did last year against the Jets that will be a different story. But as a Lions fan, there are bigger things to complain about than Matt Stafford's preseason games played.

• Like 1

Given that we are now at week 3 of the preseason, what is everyone's prediction with Tabor. Does Teez make the roster or not?

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Given that we are now at week 3 of the preseason, what is everyone's prediction with Tabor. Does Teez make the roster or not?

IR - eligible to return in week 10  or whatever it is.

CBS network voiceover intro "The Buffalo Bills, The Detroit Lions, two franchises with proud football history". Translation "The Bills and the Lions suck and have nothing recently to celebrate".