Keepleyland2

8/13 Seattle Mariners vs Detroit Tigers

I was thinking yesterday, what would have happened if we had social media in 1987 when the Tigers traded Smoltz for Alexander.  I made that my trade of the day post on twitter yesterday and some guy got all worked up about it.  He accused me of loving Avila because I supported the Alexander trade.  It made no sense at all.  

It was an interesting trade because it served the Tigers short-term purpose just as intended, but then Smoltz went on the have a Hall of Fame career.  There are so many questions though.  Would have developed the same way in the Tigers system?  Would  the terrible Tigers of that era won anything if he did develop?  If he was traded, would Randy Smith have gotten a good return?  My feeling is the trade helped the Tigers win the most memorable division race of my my time and rest is a big unknown.  I also understand if someone feels it was a terrible trade though.  

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

It sucks and then you die.  A perfect parallel to the 2019 Detroit Tiger season. 

Or is the 2019 Detroit Tiger season a perfect parallel to life?

You have a heart attack. You're raced to the hospital in an ambulance.  You "die" on the operating room table. For what feels like a minute, you follow the light and get a glimpse in the distance of the 2019 Tigers taking batting practice. Just when you think you'll be watching that scene for eternity, the doctors revive you.  Do you tell people that you briefly went to heaven or to ****? On the one hand, there's baseball. On the other hand, it's played by the 2019 Tigers.

22 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I was thinking yesterday, what would have happened if we had social media in 1987 when the Tigers traded Smoltz for Alexander.  I made that my trade of the day post on twitter yesterday and some guy got all worked up about it.  He accused me of loving Avila because I supported the Alexander trade.  It made no sense at all.  

It was an interesting trade because it served the Tigers short-term purpose just as intended, but then Smoltz went on the have a Hall of Fame career.  There are so many questions though.  Would have developed the same way in the Tigers system?  Would  the terrible Tigers of that era won anything if he did develop?  If he was traded, would Randy Smith have gotten a good return?  My feeling is the trade helped the Tigers win the most memorable division race of my my time and rest is a big unknown.  I also understand if someone feels it was a terrible trade though.  

I don't know how the Tigers don't make that trade again without knowing how the future actually played out.  Smoltz was a 22nd round pick that was struggling in AA after a decent season in A.  I suspect he doesn't develop the same way with the Tigers, but we will never know for sure.

No way of predicting a HOF career. I too am for that trade at the time it took place. And I've watched the last inning of 1987 game 162 on YouTube a million times.

2 minutes ago, leflore said:

No way of predicting a HOF career. I too am for that trade at the time it took place. And I've watched the last inning of 1987 game 162 on YouTube a million times.

The top of the 9th was so visually appealing.  Packed stands of course, what seems to be perfect cool autumn weather, a lefty on the mound. 

And now the Saturday Game 161 that I've been seeking forever is on YouTube in its entirety. I had only ever watched it on a b&w TV with bad reception at my grandma's house in rural Ontario where I had traveled for a weekend as a getaway from my University of Toronto dorm.

4 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

And now the Saturday Game 161 that I've been seeking forever is on YouTube in its entirety. I had only ever watched it on a b&w TV with bad reception at my grandma's house in rural Ontario where I had traveled for a weekend as a getaway from my University of Toronto dorm.

Wow, Jim Flanagan went 11 innings in game 161.  He actually outpitched Hall of Famer Jack Morris in that game.

image.png.ddc5f6816234071ab4b0dcc66e1c3e8c.png

14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The top of the 9th was so visually appealing.  Packed stands of course, what seems to be perfect cool autumn weather, a lefty on the mound. 

The whole final weekend is one of my top five baseball memories.  

23 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Very few fans knew who Smoltz was in 1987 to even get worked up about.

Fans didn't really know any of the minor leaguers back then.  I was thinking that in today's environment people would know more or at least think they know more.  

I remember watching the Friday night game on a satellite feed in a bar in that same rural Ontario town. The Tigers turned 5 DPs I think. And on a couple of them Trammell or Whitaker didn't touch the bag, just did the common sweep of the foot above the plane of the bag instead.  I remember Jays fans in the bar losing their minds over that and me laughing hysterically.

38 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Easily mine too.   12 of us were up by Curran at our deer camp, it was our annual preseason trip to prepare blinds for rifle season, drink beer, maybe bow hunt a little and drink a lot.  Just the possibility of winning after Gibby's bear trap comment made the whole thing great.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I don't know how the Tigers don't make that trade again without knowing how the future actually played out.  

The extremely rare triple negative! I don't even know how anyone can't understand how that's not confusing!

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

For Tiger fans, it didn't get any better than that. Every game was like the Super Bowl. And every game turned out in our favor. From that high to the low of losing in the playoffs to the Twins? Talk about extremes. It was like a roller coaster to nowhere....

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

From that high to the low of losing in the playoffs to the Twins? Talk about extremes. It was like a roller coaster to nowhere....

An 85-win team getting home dome advantage over a 98-win team.

2 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

The extremely rare triple negative! I don't even know how anyone can't understand how that's not confusing!

I stuck the landing on it, too.

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Didn't Simon hit someone in the head with his bat?

He played whack a mole with some weenies.

7 hours ago, Oblong said:

People bitched ins 2003 when we traded Randall Simon and Juan Acevedo.... "Our closer and best hitter....."

No, the uproar was in 2002 when we traded Jeff Weaver...

Boyd goes to sleep on Mallex Smith at 1st and it cost him a run. Then uncorks a WP. Could be his mind is somewhere else tonight? 🤔