Keepleyland2

8/9 @7:10 Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

3 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

The fan who scooped up the ball with his hat needs to sleep with the fishes tonight. 

I like Gibson's idea - make the kid run a lap on the concourse.

Tigers have won back-to-back games for the first time since the end of May, and back-to-back at home for the first time since April 6-7.

• Like 1

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

1st time they have won 3/4 since the end of May.

The Jake Rogers effect

I was watching the fireworks live on Facebook and then it just stopped even before it was over from what I can tell

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

I was watching the fireworks live on Facebook and then it just stopped even before it was over from what I can tell

Or maybe it was just over.  I guess it’s a lot to expect it to be longer than eight minutes 

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

The Tigers have just won back to back games at home, don't want to spoil the fans by treating them to a lengthy fireworks display as well.

“Three wins in their last five games for a .600 percentage. Put that in your syringe, find a usable vein, and flip on the Stones baby. This team is back.” —  Keith Richards at Comerica Park tonight.

0F4D03E3-A175-4A1E-8CD6-6FABF4DEA6F2.thumb.png.f1a9ac8b609ebc244ffd57e4bcdbadc5.png

• Like 1

Tonight was a perfect night at the park. One of those “this is why we do it” games. And they won. 

• Like 3

Bring Edwin back next year. 

Boyd-Jackson-Mize-Manning-Turnbull

dayum, that’s a .500 ball club.

Hey, we moved up a place in the AL Central standings as well. Minnesota and Cleveland are now tied for 1st, so that means Chicago is 2nd and KC is 3rd and the Tigers are 4th.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Hey, we moved up a place in the AL Central standings as well. Minnesota and Cleveland are now tied for 1st, so that means Chicago is 2nd and KC is 3rd and the Tigers are 4th.

The turnaround could ruin the tank~!

11 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I like Rogers.  Catcher position, solved.  Good defender, 25 home runs from the 8 spot in the batting order.  You can win with that. 

I also like Reyes, and Jones is starting to win me over.  So, I can't remember the last time I liked 3 young players on the tigers and thought that they might be starters for the next 7 years.  And I like Demeritte, walks and power. 

Edwin loves him some Jake.

Jackson was pitching in his 403rd big-league game. His battery mate was 24-year-old Jake Rogers, playing in his ninth big-league game and had never caught Jackson before.

You’d never know it. They worked smoothly, Jackson expertly mixing three different fastballs (four-seam, cutter and two-seam) with a sweeping slider.

"Jake, man, he did a great job," Jackson said. "I'm tough to catch, especially him never catching me before. But he's a special kid. There's a reason he's the future here."

Rogers did his part with the bat, too, highlighting a 12-hit attack with his third home run — a high-arching drive that curled around the foul pole in left in the sixth inning.

"That was fun," Rogers said of catching Jackson. "He had a good idea before the game and I gave him my game plan and they were pretty close. We just went after them. He was locating everything well. He's fun to catch."

'Fantastic' Edwin Jackson helps Tigers topple Royals in triumphant return

I have to admit I like Rogers saying he gave Jackson his game plan.

12 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

the Tiger coaches seem to have fixed Jackson.

Praise be to Lloyd.

12 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

So is Reyes taking Stewart's job?

I think Reyes is coming along fine considering where he was playing when he was drafted by the Tigers and his relative game inactivity last season.  He'd be another guy that I wouldn't be surprised to be a part of the next playoff team as a complimentary type or even as a starter.

12 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I like Rogers.  Catcher position, solved.  Good defender, 25 home runs from the 8 spot in the batting order.  You can win with that. 

I also like Reyes, and Jones is starting to win me over.  So, I can't remember the last time I liked 3 young players on the tigers and thought that they might be starters for the next 7 years.  And I like Demeritte, walks and power. 

I'd be fine with an OF of Jones in CF with Demeritte and Reyes alongside next season.  Jones has been better with the bat than I thought he'd be, but I can live with a weaker bat from CF if that CF plays defense like Jones does.  I know Demeritte looks shaky in the OF so far, but this is only his second season in the OF, and I think he deserves a bit of a leash.  It looks like he has the potential to have some good range and it looks like he has a pretty good arm and his revised hitting approach in AAA this season yielded some good numbers.  We got time to see how he develops.  And I think we are seeing Reyes blossom.

Rogers looks like a catcher.  Where else on the ball diamond could he play?  Bullpen catcher.  That's it.

The light at the end of the tunnel might not be an oncoming train after all?

12 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I hope so.  He's got the possibility of being a better all around ballplayer.    Stewart still looked overmatched - but in fairness so did Reyes last year.

Stewie might want to invest in a 1Bdude's glove and some serious offseason lessons.

32 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I think Reyes is coming along fine considering where he was playing when he was drafted by the Tigers and his relative game inactivity last season.  He'd be another guy that I wouldn't be surprised to be a part of the next playoff team as a complimentary type or even as a starter.

Reyes doesn't look like he's going to be any kind of all-star, but he runs and fields. Stewart is still under 500 MLB PA so it's early to talk of giving up on him but he has 1 HR in his last 108 AB. With his other limitations he has to hit the long ball to be of positive value.

31 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Rogers looks like a catcher. 

in his 9 games Rogers as 1 PB and the staff has 2 WP. In Hick's 51 games, 2 PB and 26 WP.  That's more than a 50% reduction.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Reyes doesn't look like he's going to be any kind of all-star, but he runs and fields. Stewart is still under 500 MLB PA so it's early to talk of giving up on him but he has 1 HR in his last 108 AB. With his other limitations he has to hit the long ball to be of positive value.

I don't think Reyes is an all star either.  But I think this team needs high floor guys as well as high ceiling guys.  I think Reyes could be that, and if he can be versatile enough among the three OF spots and have a starter's bat from both sides of the plate, that'd be just fine with me.

Might we finally see an actual OF defensive alignment that fits the spacious confines of Montcalm & Witherall?