ROMAD1

Trump Fatigue

Wonder if jealousy is a factor?  younger people aren't getting married at the same rate and having kids as early as generations prior.  So the older people see the younger people in their 20s and early 30s having fun rather than doing the daily grind of work/kids/activities.... they're thinking "You should be home with the kids or working all the time to support a family rather than having fun!"

Millennials are also "Thanks for leaving us with $10 trillion of debt".  "Yeah it's nice that you could attend college and work your way through back at a time when a part time job is all you needed...."  and "it's nice you got a job where after 25 years of working you got to retire at age 55 with a nice pension and health care"

This reminds me of Saturday night.... met up with some old HS friends.  We graduated in 91.  We started doing this 8 years ago after our 20 year reunion, a smaller group of us went out after, then about once a year we get together.  One of our classmates remarried and he's 52.  We're all 46/47.  We didn't think we were old.  We are older than many of our parents were when we were in school together.  

A bit like the realization not to long ago that my son is the same age as I was when we made the decision to move to the Midwest nearly 30 years ago

10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Wonder if jealousy is a factor?  younger people aren't getting married at the same rate and having kids as early as generations prior.  So the older people see the younger people in their 20s and early 30s having fun rather than doing the daily grind of work/kids/activities.... they're thinking "You should be home with the kids or working all the time to support a family rather than having fun!"

Millennials are also "Thanks for leaving us with $10 trillion of debt".  "Yeah it's nice that you could attend college and work your way through back at a time when a part time job is all you needed...."  and "it's nice you got a job where after 25 years of working you got to retire at age 55 with a nice pension and health care"

Jealousy MAY be a factor, but I doubt it gets that much attention.  I know I do not look at young kids and feel like that.  To each his own.  What bothers me is when I see younger kids trying to guilt people into trying to get things I had to work hard for.  Money, a job, school etc.  I see this in social media a lot, hardly ever in RL though FWIW.

I think 90% of peoples complaints can be directly linked back to online social medias.  

I think what we see on social media is a serious over representation of reality.... yeah shocker. like those games kids would play, eating tide pods, etc. A few do it online and then it's an epidemic?  No.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Oblong said:

This reminds me of Saturday night.... met up with some old HS friends.  We graduated in 91.  We started doing this 8 years ago after our 20 year reunion, a smaller group of us went out after, then about once a year we get together.  One of our classmates remarried and he's 52.  We're all 46/47.  We didn't think we were old.  We are older than many of our parents were when we were in school together.  

I had a co-op among my coterie this summer and she is only a year older than my son.  I am older than her parents, one of which is a co-worker.

Anyway, we old.

51 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I've read studies (and believe this from anecdotal evidence) that many millenials choose not to get married and have kids because of the financial burdens that come with having kids, buying a home, etc.

So many Millenials are graduating with crippling debt into an economy that is rigged for the top 1% and are stuck doing freelance jobs with no benefits or healthcare. Not exactly the formula you want when you are starting a family. 

• Like 1

The condom manufacturers will tell you that Millennials are much less fecund than their elders

23 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I had a co-op among my coterie this summer and she is only a year older than my son.  I am older than her parents, one of which is a co-worker.

Anyway, we old.

sprinklers?

A few years ago at parent teacher conferences the teacher's name was "Brianna" and she had to be at most 22.... cute as a buh-en too... wife kept kicking me under the table.

I taught a programming class to grad students this fall.  Most of the students are in their mid 20s.  I realized that I am about the same age or older than their parents.  That made me feel old.  

And yes they are more than attractive and I have to pretend I don't notice.  

18 hours ago, Oblong said:

I mean, that's a big part of it. We came out of school during the recession, and had zero job opportunities with all the debt of university. Then we see tons of articles written on WSJ or MarketWatch or mainstream publications that chide Millennials for not buying houses, "killing" certain industries, and as you said in another post, we also get attributed for things Gen Z does lol. You wouldn't see Millennials or even Gen Z kids act "radical" if our jobs would just give us decent benefits and pensions and regulate some of the obscene class disparity.

Going back to my original post in this thread, social media has been made much worse by (1) monetizing and harvesting of data (which is another topic for another day) and (2) older generations struggling to adapt and adjust to the changing media landscape. I think the rate of technological change is so rapid that older individuals just really struggle adapting. Think of your parents or older family members trying to learn smart phones, make Facebook profiles, etc. It doesn't come easy to them, because it's such a different world. They are victims of misinformation, and their trust in traditional media is being exploited. Cronkite is gone and in his place are clickbait fake news all over Facebook or the internet, and it's typically the baby boomers who buy into it and believe it. Much of it are opinion pieces being passed off as news, and you see this on major networks as well. If this is what constitutes keeping up, I'd rather tune out. I'll make my own decisions based on policy and debate observations and turn off when they cut to their "expert analysts".

For every boomer you show me who can't work their smart phone, I'll show you a millennial that can't change a flat tire.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Millennials can change a flat tire with a smartphone. 

Any fool can call a wrecker. 

• Like 1

BTW my wife had a flat about a week ago, since I was off she called to see if I could help. 

I miss the old jacks that fit under the bumper and the tires on a Highlander are heavy.

We got it done and made it to the tire store before they closed, replaced the tires.

And no whining

2 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Any fool can call a wrecker. 

A boomer fool will call and pay for a wrecker, a millennial will use their smartphone app for their free roadside assistance. 

2 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

How much are you paying a month for that free service

It comes with the purchase of the car. I'm paying some boomer's pension. You're welcome. 

I know how to change a flat tire but I would rather not.  I have roadside assistance provided already so why should I get dirty and deal with the hassle when I can use an app and a guy is here in a half hour and it takes him 5 minutes?  Time is money. There’s some things you outsource.  And if it’s on the road it’s safer.  I’m helping to provide a job for someone.  

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

It comes with the purchase of the car. I'm paying some boomer's pension. You're welcome. 

I don’t have a pension. Big business radio took away promised pensions about 25 years ago and turned them into 401Ks.