ROMAD1

Trump Fatigue

I don't know the origins of "Ok, boomer" but it's probably similar to the "Ok, Karen" memes about older women who lecture younger women.  

18 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I don't know the origins of "Ok, boomer" but it's probably similar to the "Ok, Karen" memes about older women who lecture younger women.  

It's a newer phenomenom intended to dismiss the "back in my day" comments of baby boomers and older people in general.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

It's a newer phenomenom intended to dismiss the "back in my day" comments of baby boomers and older people in general.

Gen x which never had any power because of Boomer and Millenial demographic dominance just roll our eyes at all this.  

screw Millennial 

23 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Gen x which never had any power because of Boomer and Millenial demographic dominance just roll our eyes at all this.  

Yup.  We Gen Xers are part of what's becoming a forgotten generation.

23 minutes ago, Oblong said:

ah.... the fox news driven boomer rage machine.  I get it.  

Boomers are Fox's target audience.  It makes sense the network plays to the fears of its demographics to generate revenue.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I really don't get the millennial hate.

Old people bitching about young people is something I grew up with.  The Internet has made it more obvious.

48 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I’m just jealous of their stuff

If you listen to the boomers rage you'd think all millennials have green hair and waiting for sex changes and hate plastic straws.

I love it when my soon to be 19 year old son goes up against the boomers at family gatherings.  That kid can hold his own with anyone. It aggravates them and they revert to the "respect your elders" card... "You brought it up, not me!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Apparently Millennial lack patience. They just get antsy after waiting three years for the script to flip.

7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

It aggravates them and they revert to the "respect your elders" card

"Respect your elders" in today's climate = "conform to my views of the world".

Maybe it is my field, but to the extent I work with millennials, or coached them, I have not seen the behaviors attributed to them.  Like at all.  Honestly, if anything, they are less whiny than I recall my classmates being.

So I guess I don't know where the stereotypes originate?  Social media influencers and the like?

I am also convinced the quality of education is much better than what I received, and everyone I have met who have b****ed about the 'common core' sucked at math, so, yeah.

40 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

19 year olds are millennial? I don't really feel I have much in common generational wise with a 19 year old.

No they're not but to the older people anyone under 40 is a millennial.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Maybe it is my field, but to the extent I work with millennials, or coached them, I have not seen the behaviors attributed to them.  Like at all.  Honestly, if anything, they are less whiny than I recall my classmates being.

So I guess I don't know where the stereotypes originate?  Social media influencers and the like?

Yep.

The younger generation are smarter and kinder than we ever were.

7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Yep.

The younger generation are smarter and kinder than we ever were.

IMO - I don't think today's young are likely any different. I think the bigger difference is just that people change as they age. The old always fail to recognize themselves in the young but it's more because they have changed than that the young have changed.

The boomers demanded their entitlements from the 'greatest' generation but now largely take them for granted, just like their parents once did. The difference is that their parents had at  least done a lot more in the world to earn their self satisfaction. 

I feel like Br'er Rabbit because they give me all these kids to mentor, often after they 'failed' under some other older engineer who 'can't work with 'em.'

Literally every time, these kids have more tools than a g-damned hardware store and ask questions.  Good questions.  Questions bore solely out of lack of experience.  They ask them respectfully.

So this is what I do.  Be sure to write this down.  This apparently passes for managerial excellence and is far too complex to be commonly applied.

I answer their questions to the best of my ability (also admit if I don't know the answer) and give them autonomy to do their job.  Step in periodically to assist when it is necessary, which honestly isn't often.  Praise when appropriate, point out areas for improvement when necessary in a respectful manner.  Receive quality work. 

I get credit for their work and the organization thinks I'm some kind of mentoring savant.

The problem ain't the kids, its the older engineers.  Sometimes feels like I am the only one that sees it.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Old people bitching about young people is something I grew up with.  The Internet has made it more obvious.

Old people bitching about young people is a human condition and will continue for the foreseeable future.  (I almost said forever, but I think at SOME point we will figure it out....in maybe 1000 years or something)

22 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

IMO - I don't think today's young are likely any different. I think the bigger difference is just that people change as they age. The old always fail to recognize themselves in the young but it's more because they have changed than that the young have changed.

The boomers demanded their entitlements from the 'greatest' generation but now largely take them for granted, just like their parents once did. The difference is that their parents had at  least done a lot more in the world to earn their self satisfaction. 

I am not sure if they fail to see themselves in the young, but maybe that they do not WANT to see themselves in the young.  I think they see it.  I also think they realize the error of their ways and the reaction to that is to try and dissuade that behavior in the younger generation.  Unfortunately it seems to manifest itself in more "do what I say" type of responses as opposed to a more prolonged thought out response like "This is the reason I think you are incorrect......."

I think it may be as simple as they grew up in a world that you deferred to the elderly largely or wholly unquestioningly and now the same deference is not extended to them.

Plus the trope of things are not as good as they once were is repeated so much that people believe it and repeat it themselves.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I feel like Br'er Rabbit because they give me all these kids to mentor, often after the 'failed' under some other older engineer who 'can't work with 'em.'

Literally every time, these kids have more tools than a g-damned hardware store and ask questions.  Good questions.  Questions bore solely out of lack of experience.  They ask them respectfully.

So this is what I do.  Be sure to write this down.  It apparently passes for managerial excellence and is far too complex to be commonly applied.

I answer their questions to the best of my ability (also admit if I don't know the answer) and give them autonomy to do their job.  Step in periodically to assist when it is necessary, which honestly isn't often.  Praise when appropriate, point out areas for improvement when necessary in a respectful manner.  Receive quality work. 

Organization thinks I'm some sort of mentoring savant and I get credit for their work.

The problem ain't the kids, its the older engineers.  Sometimes feels like I am the only one that sees it.

At this point in my career, I've been on both sides of this equation above (mostly on the "mentee" side.... starting to see more "mentor" opportunities as we hire younger folks), and a lot of it comes down to patience. And the older engineers tend to have less of it than the younger engineers from my experience, although it may be different in other offices/environments.

39 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think it may be as simple as they grew up in a world that you deferred to the elderly largely or wholly unquestioningly and now the same deference is not extended to them.

Plus the trope of things are not as good as they once were is repeated so much that people believe it and repeat it themselves.

IDK Biggs. Maybe the early Boomers were defferential, but I believe the term 'generation gap' gained a lot of currency in my adolescent and college days. If you remember,  Daltry sang us that we'd rather be dead than old - which was considered '30' at the time xD