Jump to content

ROMAD1

Trump Fatigue

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

[Raises hand]

The Dems are winning the Kernel Count at the iowa State Fair. First time since 2008

Obviously unscientific, but given how the fair crowd skews right, interesting nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll give Trump a pass on attacking Bill Maher, who said he wants a recession even if Americans lose their jobs and suffer economically to increase the chance Trump isn't re-elected.  It is a crappy position for Maher to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Euphdude said:

I'll give Trump a pass on attacking Bill Maher, who said he wants a recession even if Americans lose their jobs and suffer economically to increase the chance Trump isn't re-elected.  It is a crappy position for Maher to take.

I hate both jabronies and I'm rooting for mutual destruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The Dems are winning the Kernel Count at the iowa State Fair. First time since 2008

Obviously unscientific, but given how the fair crowd skews right, interesting nonetheless.

Warren had the biggest crowd size of any candidate at the fair. Interesting to see that one of the most left-leaning candidates in the race had the largest crowd size at the Iowa fair. It is one thing to draw a large crowd at one of your own events, but as you said, given that the fair crowd leans rightward, Warren having the biggest crowd is great news for her.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2019/08/10/elizabeth-warren-election-2020-iowa-state-fair-register-soapbox-caucus-wealth-tax-corruption-loan/1881764001/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, pfife said:

I hate both jabronies and I'm rooting for mutual destruction.

I don't know how Maher is still on. Just thinking about him makes me feel dumber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't know how Maher is still on. Just thinking about him makes me feel dumber.

He's on once a week on a premium cable channel.  That makes him pretty niche.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't know how Maher is still on. Just thinking about him makes me feel dumber.

I watch him sometimes if he has good guests on.... I watched this week for Tom Nichols (not the Mooch).

But he's pretty much always the worst part of the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a very much a-religious person (not anti-religious, it's just not a part of my life) - I can't stand the way he talks down about religious people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm a very much a-religious person (not anti-religious, it's just not a part of my life) - I can't stand the way he talks down about religious people.

I'm really bothered by just show he talks about people in flyover country in general, although he focused more on religious people pre-Trump.

I'd add that I think he shows a lot of cognitive dissonance when he frets about the Democrats going too far to the left and not doing enough to appeal to Middle America while simultaneously talking down to people in Middle America and acting as if everyone out here are a bunch of rubes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

[Raises hand]

TBF, it wouldn't be all too difficult to find one of these in every Trump state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

TBF, it wouldn't be all too difficult to find one of these in every Trump state.

Yeah...I can imagine the same "obama/trump voter" also exists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Yeah...I can imagine the same "obama/trump voter" also exists. 

I still don't get that. Why would someone inclined to vote for Trump have voted for Obama? Their stated positions coming into their respective elections were nearly polar opposite. Did they have the idea of voting that way just because they thought that would throw the country into entertaining chaos or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I still don't get that. Why would someone inclined to vote for Trump have voted for Obama? Their stated positions coming into their respective elections were nearly polar opposite. Did they have the idea of voting that way just because they thought that would throw the country into entertaining chaos or something?

i wouldn't have voted for Obama prior to Jan 2017.  I had my grievances with his administration.  Most of my professional grievances as it happens were about the Hillary-period State Department.   But after this...after all this garbage.  That all feels very trivial. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I still don't get that. Why would someone inclined to vote for Trump have voted for Obama? Their stated positions coming into their respective elections were nearly polar opposite. Did they have the idea of voting that way just because they thought that would throw the country into entertaining chaos or something?

I can understand that there is "just change stuff" voter who is so tired or frustrated with the status quo and poorly enough studied in policy details, that they can be swayed by whoever is most nouveau on the scene whether they are likely to produce a positive change or not, then sours on and moves to the next out of the box candidate when their unrealistic expectations are not met.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd argue that Obama voters turned Trump voters consist primarily of low-information individuals.  Obama and Trump are stark contrasts of one another, and those who voted for both are not doing so based on ideology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I can understand that there is "just change stuff" voter who is so tired or frustrated with the status quo and poorly enough studied in policy details, that they can be swayed by whoever is most nouveau on the scene whether they are likely to produce a positive change or not, then sours on and moves to the next out of the box candidate when their unrealistic expectations are not met.

i guess the $64 question in this case would be, do they have any idea what kind of change they want? Or do they want "change" because any change to anything is preferable to no change to anything? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an interesting exchange with a Trump supporter who was a two time Obama supporter. This woman own a pretty successful business. They own an $800,000 home in Michigan plus a second home in Florida. Own a brand new BMW, boat etc. It's more about status with them. Send they're kids off to college and pay for an apartment off campus and yet the kids qualified, and used, food stamps. She talked about how she couldn't vote for Hillary because Hillary didn't divorce Bill after his affairs. Clearly doesn't matter all of Trump affairs. She then said will Hillary cry if the US is attacked. I advised her of other female leaders such as Angela Merkel and Margaret Thatcher. Doesn't know who these people are. We then discussed Hillary's education and bizarrely she would say how do you know she graduated? This is her defense on everything because when she would ask about false stories about Obama being born in Kenya, I would advise that is not true. Even though there are transcripts and video of Hillary in college, she doesn't seem to believe it. I don't know how people like this are allowed to vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really tied to Trump, but your synopsis reminded me of an article about how there are a sub-set of wealthy people who essentially are either putting their child up in an apartment or boarding school, then have the child change their address legally and file for emancipation per the new address both so that they will be eligible for financial aid for college and they can claim hardship on their college application.

 

**** these people.  Seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's why they're millionaires and we're not.

Being born into wealth is 99% of the battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

Being born into wealth is 99% of the battle.

That and knowing how to bull****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you weren't born into wealth, you're a dumb ***!!!  What a crucial mistake!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...