Keepleyland2

8/7 @1:10 Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers

Rosenthal DFA, Jimenez sent down. 2 more sacrificial lambs tomorrow.

1 minute ago, kdog said:

Rosenthal DFA,

didn't expect that one at all. I thought they took him on expecting him to have to work through nights like last night.

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

didn't expect that one at all. I thought they took him on expecting him to have to work through nights like last night.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised too.    Possible that he asked out?

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Honestly, what did they expect? Ride the guy out for a few months. 

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I can't find the tweet right now, but Jason Beck said it was because they needed someone who could pitch multiple innings which makes no sense to me.  

The only reason you pick up a pitcher like Rosenthal is because you hope he gain regain his former form and he was always a one inning pitcher.  

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised too.    Possible that he asked out?

Or they were talking about next year and got nowhere. If he thought he was doing well enough that a better team might pick him up he sure blew his case with that last outing!

Sooo, this didn’t come up in discussions before he was signed? 

it's probably no loss - the probability of signing him past this season was probably nil. Some team that is 'out' of it but closer to being 'in it' next season will pick him up hoping to get him to sign a new deal.

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Mind boggling. 

Check that out. And the worst part? It was against a pathetic WSox team, not a powerhouse like the Yankees. The Yankees could probably score in 36 straight innings...no, that couldn't happen, could it? ?

7 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

The #1 prospect right now is 1b/of Spencer Torkelson of ASU.

Thank You.

I knew there was someone here that would know. And reading about this guy, it almost makes it so I can't wait until next June!

Torkelson attended Casa Grande High Schoolin Petaluma, California. He played baseball, football and basketball in high school.[1]During his high school baseball career, he hit .430 with 11 home runs and 99 runs batted in(RBI). He committed to Arizona State to play college baseball.[2]

As a freshman at Arizona State, Torkelson batted .320/.440/.743 with 25 home runs and 53 RBI over 55 games. The 25 home runs led the nation, set a Pac-12 record for home runs by a freshman and also broke Barry Bonds school record for home runs by a freshman.[3][4][5] He was named the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper Freshman of the Year, National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association National Freshman Hitter of the Year and the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year.[6][7]After the season, he played for the United States collegiate national team.[8] As a sophomore, Torkelson joined Bob Horner as the only Arizona State players to hit 20 home runs for consecutive seasons.[9]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_Torkelson

7 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

On the other hand, is someone named Spencer Torkelson really going to make the Hall of Fame one day?

I think we all know the answer to that.

Let's give him his nickname now. How about...STork? SpenT? The possibilities are endless. ?

43 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Let's give him his nickname now. How about...STork? SpenT? The possibilities are endless. ?

Gotta be Spork.    

images.jpeg.9563c1f72b485e1b54ce782d9f934d49.jpeg

His HS career sounds much like mine except for the BA, HR, and RBI parts.

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

funny thing is that until this week's 4 games in 44 hrs marathon, they hadn't been using guys more than 4 outs very much. Maybe they are planning to do a lot of 'bullpen days' the rest of the way since they are basically at 3 starters and one of those - Norris doesn't pitch deep and if he did would just be pushing his innings target sooner.

TLDR

Dreaded right/right 1B profile, but mashes enough that we don't care.

Full Report

Torkelson broke Barry Bonds' freshman home run record at ASU and they're moved the fences *in* for his sophomore season, so he had another great year. He has sublime hitter's timing but only fits as a 1B, as he body comps to Yankees 1B Luke Voit. It's a tough profile, but Tork's track record and skills mirror those of Andrew Vaughn enough to think he'll go near the top of the draft.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2020-mlb-draft/summary?sort=-1,1&type=0&team=

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I can't find the tweet right now, but Jason Beck said it was because they needed someone who could pitch multiple innings which makes no sense to me.  

The only reason you pick up a pitcher like Rosenthal is because you hope he gain regain his former form and he was always a one inning pitcher.  

I think it makes sense to me that they need more pitchers to go multiple innings.  The problem is they just don't have enough right now.

Rosenthal isn't that guy, even if effective.  Neither is Jimenez.  But it seems like, with carrying 13 pitchers to begin with, they should have enough other pitchers to go multiple innings.  It seems like there should be another way to solve this issue without DFAing Rosenthal, who was a decent shot for a reclamation project.  It probably won't make much difference in the long run, but it is a curious move with Boyd pitching tonight (who you would likely take the chance at going deep into the game), and a day off coming up on Monday.

Bump Alexander down rather than Rosenthal and bring up one of the other arms already on the 40?

Rosenthal sucks. The explanation provided is just the team trying to be nice. 

Also, because rosenthal is being paid his salary by the nationals, cutting him does save the team about 200k.

Well, the pitching staff in general sucks, but they have to employ someone to throw the ball.  Maybe Dixon needs to work on something to compliment his 60 MPH curve.  I wonder if they asked Castellanos to try pitching?

On 8/7/2019 at 4:17 AM, lordstanley said:

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2011/11/05/when-al-cowens-went-crazy-on-the-baseball-diamond/

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

While still playing with the Royals in 1979, on May 8, in a game against the Rangers, Cowens was injured when a pitch by reliever Ed Farmer struck the right-handed batter in the jaw. Also in that game, Cowens’ teammate Frank White was hit by a Farmer pitch. As a result of his beaning, Cowens missed three weeks. When he returned he wore a protective mask attached to his helmet to guard his surgically repaired jaw.

More than a year later, in a Tiger uniform, Cowens finally faced Farmer again. With the Tigers facing the White Sox in Chicago (Farmer had moved on to a new team also), Cowens led off the 11th inning of a 3-3 contest. After the tall right-hander coaxed Cowens into a grounder to short, he turned to watch the play behind him. Instead of going to first base, Cowens went straight out to the mound, surprising Farmer by tackling him from behind. Both benches emptied, as did the bullpens. Cowens was ejected, of course. But in his mind, he’d exacted a level of revenge.

Cowens bizarre tactic rattled Farmer. The reliever walked Lance Parrish and allowed a run-scoring double to John Wockenfuss before being pulled from the game.

“I didn’t know what was going on,” Farmer said later about being greeted by Cowens after his grounder. “Man, I turned and just tried to get some blows in.”

Cowens was fined and suspended for seven games, but that was just baseball justice. Chicago Police issued a warrant for his arrest after filing a complaint against his “assault” on Farmer. To his credit, Farmer agreed to not press charges as long as Cowens would shake his hands.

The two did just that the next time the Tigers were back in Chicago. It put an “all’s well that ends well” ending to one of the more bizarre fights in Tiger history.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I remember watching that fight. Champ Summers kicked some serious ***.

Edited by Evil Roy Slade
Spelling

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Well, the pitching staff in general sucks, but they have to employ someone to throw the ball.  Maybe Dixon needs to work on something to compliment his 60 MPH curve.  I wonder if they asked Castellanos to try pitching?

Making him pitch would cause even more trouble for him on those fly balls to right.