Keepleyland2

8/7 @1:10 Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers

Of the eight guys with the surname Farmer who have played in MLB, Ed was the longest-serving with 13 seasons. Buck is 2nd with 6, active Kyle is 3rd with 3.

Farmer was also dangerous. I believe in one week, he destroyed Al Cowens' jaw and broke another player's?? arm in 79'.

2 hours ago, Champ79' said:

Farmer was also dangerous. I believe in one week, he destroyed Al Cowens' jaw and broke another player's?? arm in 79'.

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2011/11/05/when-al-cowens-went-crazy-on-the-baseball-diamond/

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

While still playing with the Royals in 1979, on May 8, in a game against the Rangers, Cowens was injured when a pitch by reliever Ed Farmer struck the right-handed batter in the jaw. Also in that game, Cowens’ teammate Frank White was hit by a Farmer pitch. As a result of his beaning, Cowens missed three weeks. When he returned he wore a protective mask attached to his helmet to guard his surgically repaired jaw.

More than a year later, in a Tiger uniform, Cowens finally faced Farmer again. With the Tigers facing the White Sox in Chicago (Farmer had moved on to a new team also), Cowens led off the 11th inning of a 3-3 contest. After the tall right-hander coaxed Cowens into a grounder to short, he turned to watch the play behind him. Instead of going to first base, Cowens went straight out to the mound, surprising Farmer by tackling him from behind. Both benches emptied, as did the bullpens. Cowens was ejected, of course. But in his mind, he’d exacted a level of revenge.

Cowens bizarre tactic rattled Farmer. The reliever walked Lance Parrish and allowed a run-scoring double to John Wockenfuss before being pulled from the game.

“I didn’t know what was going on,” Farmer said later about being greeted by Cowens after his grounder. “Man, I turned and just tried to get some blows in.”

Cowens was fined and suspended for seven games, but that was just baseball justice. Chicago Police issued a warrant for his arrest after filing a complaint against his “assault” on Farmer. To his credit, Farmer agreed to not press charges as long as Cowens would shake his hands.

The two did just that the next time the Tigers were back in Chicago. It put an “all’s well that ends well” ending to one of the more bizarre fights in Tiger history.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

you don't catch fire until you are 45 games under .500....that's what I've always heard.

The Tigers have a 3.5 cushion on the Orioles for the 1st overall pick next season, so they can probably afford to play their A lineup today.

23 minutes ago, Casimir said:

The Tigers have a 3.5 cushion on the Orioles for the 1st overall pick next season, so they can probably afford to play their A lineup today.

wait....there's a B lineup?

god help us all.

• Haha 1

It's going to be fun 15 years from now to look back on some of the names in our lineups.  

Rogers will be well on his way to Cooperstown so we'll know who he is but some of the rest we will probably have completely forgotten ever played in the Majors. 

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

It's going to be fun 15 years from now to look back on some of the names in our lineups.  

Rogers will be well on his way to Cooperstown so we'll know who he is but some of the rest we will probably have completely forgotten ever played in the Majors. 

What?  No one has forgotten Eric Eckenstahler, Gary Knotts, Chris Mears or Ernie Young.

49 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I call them answers to future trivia questions.

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

But who is the #1 pick? Is there a "can't miss" player out there ready for the draft next June?

it'll be like asking who was in the braves starting rotation before maddux, glavine, and smoltz.  no one will care when youre talking about three - or five - hall of famers.

19 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But who is the #1 pick? Is there a "can't miss" player out there ready for the draft next June?

Oh, I don't know, that's not my bag.  Someone like @cruzer1 or @Edman85 would be good for that question.