Keepleyland2

8/4 @4:05 Detroit Tigers at Texas Rangers

I feel sorry for the White Sox players that have to deal with the wrath of Turnbull tomorrow.  He is going to take his frustrations of missing 3 weeks out on the White Sox batters.  I predict 7 innings of zero runs shutout baseball. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I feel sorry for the White Sox players that have to deal with the wrath of Turnbull tomorrow.  He is going to take his frustrations of missing 3 weeks out on the White Sox batters.  I predict 7 innings of zero runs shutout baseball. 

Will that count as a 7 inning complete game shut out?

I really don’t mention politics very often, however many of us praise athletes too much. I just wanted people to know about the checkered past of Mark Thurmond, Dave Dravecky and Eric Show. I don’t believe anyone else, on this message board, would have mentioned this information. The subject of the JBS and three former MLB players is now closed.

Eric Show died in a rehab center in March of 1994 after struggling with addiction for some time. I recall his struggles with alcohol and drugs. Dave Dravecky delivered the eulogy at his funeral. 

Of course, Dravecky had to endure an arm amputation after the discovery of cancer. I believe Dravecky is a Christian and is active in his faith, at least as I recall.

Interesting histories. 

7 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

I really don’t mention politics very often, however many of us praise athletes too much. I just wanted people to know about the checkered past of Mark Thurmond, Dave Dravecky and Eric Show. I don’t believe anyone else, on this message board, would have mentioned this information. The subject of the JBS and three former MLB players is now closed.

yes, I know you don't.  Just trying to nip it in the bud.

1 hour ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

If Mark Thurmond is Tiger of the day, and someone mentions that he and two of his teammates were members of the John Birch Society, I think that's OK.  A team with 3 players involved in a political movement is unique in baseball. It's certainly worth hearing more about. Things like:

• did he bring that movement with him to the Tigers?
  • What's Mark doing today?
  • Has anyone ever researched their level of involvement and their relationships with each other? 

We can hear about their baseball careers and their camaraderie around the JBS without endorsing or putting down the movement. To immediately condemn the subject is more of a political statement than allowing it to be researched.

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Looks like after a stellar start Travis Demeritte has been Tigerized. 

Legendary Lloyd wasted no time in working his magic.

15 hours ago, 1776 said:

Of course, Dravecky had to endure an arm amputation after the discovery of cancer.

And his shoulder.  I didn't realize that until looking this up just to confirm my memory:

The following season, a cancerous desmoid tumor was found in Dravecky's pitching arm. On October 7, 1988, he underwent surgery, which removed half of the deltoid muscle in his pitching arm and froze the humerus bone in an effort to eliminate all of the cancerous cells. Doctors advised Dravecky to wait until 1990 to pitch again, but Dravecky was determined to pitch in 1989.[7][8] By July 1989, he was pitching in the minors, and on August 10, he made a highly publicized return to the major leagues, pitching eight innings and defeating Cincinnati 4–3.[9] In his following start, five days later in Montreal, Dravecky pitched three no-hit innings, but in the fifth inning, he felt a tingling sensation in his arm. In the sixth inning, he started off shaky, allowing a home run to the leadoff batter and then hitting the second batter, Andrés Galarraga. Then, on his first pitch to Tim Raines, his humerus bone snapped; the sound of it breaking could be heard throughout the stadium. Dravecky collapsed on the mound. He'd suffered a clean break midway between his shoulder and elbow, ending his season.[8]

The Giants won the National League pennant in 1989 (defeating the Chicago Cubs in the NLCS in five games), and in the post-game celebration, Dravecky's arm was broken a second time when he was running out to the mound to celebrate.[10] A doctor examining Dravecky's x-rays noticed a mass in his arm, which turned out to be malignant. Dravecky's cancer had returned, ending his career. Eighteen days later, Dravecky retired from baseball with a 64–57 record with 558 strikeouts and a 3.13 ERA in 1,062⅔ innings. He won the 1989 Willie Mac Award honoring his spirit and leadership.

So, I think I recall seeing that on SportsCenter.  I had no idea that he hadn't broken it again after that.  I thought that break when pitching was the second time he had broken his arm.