Sign in to follow this  
Keepleyland2

8/2 @8:05 Detroit Tigers at Texas Rangers

I do remember him.  It's Greene.  I thought he was going to be good because he had a good baseball name.  

I am looking forward to Travis Demeritte’s debut.  I have high hopes. I understand he can slam a revolving door, kill two stones with one bird, and that when monsters go to sleep they look under their beds to see if he’s there. 

47 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I do remember him.  It's Greene.  I thought he was going to be good because he had a good baseball name.  

Better yet, it's Altar Greene. 

He hit 32 minor league home runs at age 23, 15 the next year in half a season at Triple A, and had a cup of coffee with the Tigers at the end of that year (1979). Next year, 1980, he splits at Triple A between the Tigers and the Cardinals, hits some more home runs, and then poof!  Gone.  That's the end of his career at the age of 25 as far as MLB is concerned.  He then played 7 more years in Mexico.  What the heck happened?

Who is your all time favourite Texas Ranger?  Mine is Ferguson Jenkins.  Or if you count the second coming of the Washington Senators, Frank Howard.

Altar, as in, allstar.  I thought Bruce Robbins in Mike Chris would be good too, but that's because I was 16 and thought every Tiger rookie would be good.

513cE9ETOVL._SX385_.jpg

He was traded with John Martin to the Cardinals for Jim Lentine in June, 1980. I am not sure what happened to Greene.   I remember it was pretty common for MLB players to end up in the Mexican League.   As you have mentioned before, the Mexican League stats were regularly listed in TSN.   

16 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Who is your all time favourite Texas Ranger?  Mine is Ferguson Jenkins.  Or if you count the second coming of the Washington Senators, Frank Howard.

Probably go with Kenny Roger's and Pudge because of their Tigers connection. 

As a kid I was an Al Oliver fan. Dude could rake 

44 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Altar, as in, allstar.  I thought Bruce Robbins in Mike Chris would be good too, but that's because I was 16 and thought every Tiger rookie would be good.

513cE9ETOVL._SX385_.jpg

To be fair to 16-year old Lee, it does say it right there. Future Stars. 

Nelson Cruz is my least favorite Texas Ranger. When I awake in the middle of the night I look under my bed to see if Nelson Cruz is there, to discover what new team he is on, and to bemoan how he is punishing my team. He’s a Tiger Killer if there ever was one  

I can’t find Greene’s stats in baseball-reference or baseballcube for the Mexican League. I remember how TSN used to cover the Mexican League. I remember also how they even provided box scores for MLB spring training games.  That publication and their various stat books were a big part of my childhood. 

• Like 1

I remember how Jeff Burroughs won the MVP in 1974 without particularly fantastic stats but without looking it up it must’ve been a weak year for hitting or something. 

My favorite Texas Ranger is the late Jim Bibby. Very nice gentleman. We’re from the same town in N.C. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

e429e726266ef389b2892b6f319a7904.jpg

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I can’t find Greene’s stats in baseball-reference or baseballcube for the Mexican League. I remember how TSN used to cover the Mexican League. I remember also how they even provided box scores for MLB spring training games.  That publication and their various stat books were a big part of my childhood. 

For some reason the Mexican League stats aren’t there I did find this from another site shortly after he died

In 1986, Al Greene of the Monclova Steelers set the Mexican League walk record when he drew 152 to lead the league - 24 more than runner-up Nick Castaneda. Greene hit .336 with 39 homers, 127 runs and 122 RBI. His .524 OBP was third behind Willie Aikens and Castaneda, and he was third behind the same two (in different order) in runs. Prior to Greene's 1986 season, the record holder was... Al Greene, who drew 133 bases on balls in 1984, breaking Joe Pactwa's record of 132 from 1977.

Overall, Greene hit .303/~.471/.546 in 7 years in Mexico (1981-1987) with 4 seasons of 25+ homers and 4 .300 seasons. He led the Liga in walks 4 times and was runner-up on two other occasions. Greene had more walks in 7 years in the Mexican League than Frank Estrada had in 26 seasons there.

https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/american-league/detroit-tigers/83540-al-greene-former-tigers-player-passes-away

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

For some reason the Mexican League stats aren’t there I did find this from another site shortly after he died

https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/american-league/detroit-tigers/83540-al-greene-former-tigers-player-passes-away

Thank you for posting this. This is exactly what I was looking for. I used to enjoy perusing Mexican League statistics in TSN to find excitingly inflated numbers like this. Sort of in par with looking up Dick Stewart’s 66 homers at Roswell in 1956, which was something that was out of this world. Oh, I made a funny. 

9 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I'd go with you on the late model crafty veteran version of Fergie Jenkins.  

fergie_jenkins_autograph.jpg

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

My favorite Texas Ranger is the late Jim Bibby. Very nice gentleman. We’re from the same town in N.C. 

Jim Bibby was one of those guys who could hold 4 or 5 baseballs in one hand.  He was a good basketball player, like his little brother Henry.

11 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

no hesitation:

Richie Zisk.jpeg