Sign in to follow this  
christinagi

Verlander v Greinke trade value

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I guess we will see if anyone wants to discuss it.

Earlier you claimed that "JV Doesn't care at all", Walewander followed that with the assertion "I don't think Verlander gives a ****"

SportsFreak followed that  up by stating he cares about the team first and  Leflore did in fact state that JV wants to win (and consequently) Care less if Houston gives up more for Grienke

My mention that "payroll jealousy" exists and the likelihood that it could become a factor in the future merely points out  that the assumptions all of you have made as to what JV's believes,  (if in fact completely true to begin with) might not be permanent.

So there is your context,... I supplemented what was being discussed. Surprised you never caught on to that.

1 minute ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Earlier you claimed that "JV Doesn't care at all", Walewander followed that with the assertion "I don't think Verlander gives a ****"

SportsFreak followed that  up by stating he cares about the team first and  Leflore did in fact state that JV wants to win (and consequently) Care less if Houston gives up more for Grienke

My mention that "payroll jealousy" exists and the likelihood that it could become a factor in the future merely points out  that the assumptions all of you have made on JV's behalf,  (if in fact completely true to begin with) might not be permanent.

So there is your context,... I supplemented what was being discussed. Surprised you never caught on to that.

9b4c5146e6cd2feeaa2067cb08cd098707666326

7 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

My mention that "payroll jealousy" exists and the likelihood that it could become a factor in the future merely points out  that the assumptions all of you have made on JV's behalf,  (if in fact completely true to begin with) might not be permanent.

Not sure if I follow the logic, to be honest.

I guess we will see if anyone wants to discuss it.

On 8/2/2019 at 2:00 PM, christinagi said:

If the consideration paid for an older, more expensive Greinke was greater than that paid for JV, the subtext is that Houston values Greinke more than JV. The JV I'm aware of would notice and be rankled. Maybe not publicly, but he is so competitive I think it must have crossed his mind.

First .. Zack Greinke is not older than JV.  He is, in fact, 8 months younger than JV.

Second, ..what evidence are you aware of about JV that presumes he would be rankled about any perceived, albeit unproven, trade value?

On 8/3/2019 at 11:38 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Correct.  It was based on his stutter and the first syllable of his last name, so it sounded like how he pronounced his last name.

Cuy - Cuy - Cuyler

People were just that way when it came to nicknames 100 years ago.

Signed,

Bootnose Hoffman

Image result for bootnose hoffman

I wonder if he was related to Milt Cuyler?

On 8/3/2019 at 8:15 PM, DumberAndLeaner said:

Actually, I'm fairly confident that "payroll jealousy" is widespread throughout baseball. It likely doesn't not exist right now between Verlander and Greinke, because the Astros did not make the deal with either player. Both are riding deals they made earlier, with other organizations.

But let the 'stros offer a generous extension to one but not the other, and I strongly suspect there will be a little resentment creeping into the picture.

The Astros extended JV months before trading for Greinke. It will probably be Verlander's last contract. Unless he decides to pull a Tom Brady. ☺

On 8/3/2019 at 8:15 PM, DumberAndLeaner said:

Actually, I'm fairly confident that "payroll jealousy" is widespread throughout baseball. It likely doesn't not exist right now between Verlander and Greinke, because the Astros did not make the deal with either player. Both are riding deals they made earlier, with other organizations.

But let the 'stros offer a generous extension to one but not the other, and I strongly suspect there will be a little resentment creeping into the picture.

And the OP said nothing about payroll or salaries.  It was the trade return each team received for each player. 

7 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Astros extended JV months before trading for Greinke. It will probably be Verlander's last contract. Unless he decides to pull a Tom Brady. ☺

JV's contract was set to expire after the 2019 season.  During the past off season, JV and the Astros agreed to extend their contract for 2 more years at $33m per year ..which takes JV through 2021.   JV will be age 38 during the 2021 season.

JV has publicly stated that he would like to pitch until his age 45.  Thus, it is likely that JV will play beyond 2021 ..just a matter of for which team will he play ..and for how much money.

12 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

He'll be back in the Olde English D as our closer.

Until something radically changes, this team won’t need a closer. 

I would like to think JV would come back one day but I’m not optimistic. I know not everybody can communicate well enough to be a successful teacher, but I would love to see him as a pitching coach in Detroit. I don’t know that he would ever care to coach after his playing days.