Sign in to follow this  
christinagi

Verlander v Greinke trade value

I strongly disagree. JV wants to win. He could care less if Houston gave up more for Grienke, which I believe they did not

Why would JV presume that he is valued less if he was able to be acquired for less?  If true (I don't even know as that this has been established), all it would imply is:

a. the Tigers valued Verlander less than Arizona valued Greinke *and*

b. Houston valued each player more than their former teams.

There are no other logically sound conclusions that could be drawn from the trades beyond that.

And this ignores the fact the market dictates value far more than what an individual team wants or likes, a fact I am sure Verlander is well aware of.  He isn't a some tween drama queen.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

I would bet that Arizona fans are freaking out about the package of **** that they got for Greinke.

Fire Hazen!!

7 hours ago, christinagi said:

If the consideration paid for an older, more expensive Greinke was greater than that paid for JV, the subtext is that Houston values Greinke more than JV. The JV I'm aware of would notice and be rankled. Maybe not publicly, but he is so competitive I think it must have crossed his mind.

Sure. I can see that. This is the same Ver who got to start opening day even though it was Max who had just won the Cy Young.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Cuyker%20Kiki%20Plaque%2028_NBL_0.png?itok=3PwpOcTU

Named to what All Star team in 1925?

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd guess Sporting News post season journalist named team or something.

It's funny because he was on the actual 1934 All-Star team.

10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd guess Sporting News post season journalist named team or something.

As usual Mr Biggs was right....

Glenn Wright Last of the 1925 All Stars

When The Sporting News began selecting its annual All-Star Team in 1925, Wright filled the shortstop berth. The other members of this first major league team were lB Jim Bottomley, 2B Rogers Hornsby, 3B Pie Traynor, outfielders Kiki Cuyler, Max Carey, and Goose Goslin, catcher Mickey Cochrane, and pitchers Walter Johnson, Ed Rommel, and Dazzy Vance. Wright is the only survivor of that great aggregation.

....and Harrisville's own Kiki Cuyler is the closest "up north" has to an all time baseball great.

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Just learned today that in his case Kiki was pronounced as rhyming with sky sky.

True. 

He retired as player in 1938 ..was not voted into HoF until 1968 by Veterans Committee.

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Just learned today that in his case Kiki was pronounced as rhyming with sky sky.

I guess that makes sense in that his last name is Cuyler (Kie - ler). So... Kie Kie Kie - ler.

I still prefer kee-kee. Kee-Kee Kie - ler has a better sound to it?

I didn't know he was a Michigander...

11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

One article that I read said that he had a stutter and when he said his last name it sometimes started out Cuy-Cuy . . . ; and that led to his nickname.

There was a bar in Harrisville called Ki Cuyler's that opened after he died.  It burned down last year.  One source says that the building was actually his home.  I used to go to Harrisville quite a bit, and spent some time in that bar. 

Correct.  It was based on his stutter and the first syllable of his last name, so it sounded like how he pronounced his last name.

Cuy - Cuy - Cuyler

People were just that way when it came to nicknames 100 years ago.

Signed,

Bootnose Hoffman

Image result for bootnose hoffman

• Like 1

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

One article that I read said that he had a stutter and when he said his last name it sometimes started out Cuy-Cuy . . . ; and that led to his nickname.

There was a bar in Harrisville called Ki Cuyler's that opened after he died.  It burned down last year.  One source says that the building was actually his home.  I used to go to Harrisville quite a bit, and spent some time in that bar. 

Ki Cuylers burned down? That sucks. I went to Harrisville for vacation every year with my family as a kid. Took my wife there ten years ago and went to Cuyler's. Their prime rib was surprisingly good.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Signed,

Bootnose Hoffman

Image result for bootnose hoffman

That was funny...

43 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

That was funny...

Biggs delivers at times.   He wants the points lead.

Actually, I'm fairly confident that "payroll jealousy" is widespread throughout baseball. It likely doesn't not exist right now between Verlander and Greinke, because the Astros did not make the deal with either player. Both are riding deals they made earlier, with other organizations.

But let the 'stros offer a generous extension to one but not the other, and I strongly suspect there will be a little resentment creeping into the picture.

Justin Verlander already signed an extension with the Astros ..to the tune of a 2-year extension for  $66 million that will keep him an Astro for seasons 2020 and 2021.

1 hour ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Actually, I'm fairly confident that "payroll jealousy" is widespread throughout baseball. It likely doesn't not exist right now between Verlander and Greinke, because the Astros did not make the deal with either player. Both are riding deals they made earlier, with other organizations.

But let the 'stros offer a generous extension to one but not the other, and I strongly suspect there will be a little resentment creeping into the picture.

Payroll jealousy wasn't what was being discussed.

One line of thinking advanced in this thread stated that the desire to win would out weigh any resentment that might come from a disparity in compensation. That may be true now, but I believe that could change. Drama queens can be fickle.