Keepleyland2

7/24 @1:10 Philadelphia Phillies vs Detroit Tigers

19 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Eugenio Suarez was a .5 war player his 1st year...now he's consistently in that 3.5 to 4.5 range.  Give Stewart a chance to develop

Stewart is already behind Suarez's development curve. By the time Suarez had as many PA as Stewart has now he was playing at a 1.3 WAR/yr rate and he was two yrs younger. At Stewart's current age, Suarez had a 3.7 WAR season.

Not to throw shade at the young man in particular but a player not showing more in his 25 yr old season is, like Biggs noted, probably less than a 50% proposition.

There is no reason to give up on him but that is primarily because the system is so barren there is no one pushing him.

On a related note, James McCann is hitting <200 in July.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Stewart is already behind Suarez's development curve. By the time Suarez had as many PA as Stewart has now he was playing at a 1.3 WAR/yr rate and he was two yrs younger. At Stewart's current age, Suarez had a 3.7 WAR season.

Not to throw shade at the young man in particular but a player not showing more in his 25 yr old season is, like Biggs noted, probably less than a 50% proposition.

There is no reason to give up on him but that is primarily because the system is so barren there is no one pushing him.

that's "all star james mccann" to you.

try not to let biggs forget it.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

do you think the same way about candelario?

Zimm now at an impressive 7.67 ERA. Amazing they keep bringing him back season after season.

2 hours ago, kdog said:

The only hitting situation where the Tigers aren't worst in the AL is runners on(13th). Otherwise, they are last in the AL(OPS) in the following situations:

None On

RISP

RISP 2 out

Bases Loaded

Do the Tigers have enough plate appearances with RISP to qualify for the league leaderboards?

The other problem with Stewart is the word is already out and obvious that no one in the league respects Stewarts throwing arm.  Runners are tagging up on him regardless of how deep the fly ball is.  It has already been shown to be a large weakness for the team.

He isnt going to regularly DH until Miggy is gone, so unless he is hits at an all-star level, he both wont be a part of a future winner, and he wont have any trade value.   He has a lot of development to do in the next year and a half if he is gonna stick here....even in a rebuild.

Jeimer at least has defensive options at 1st and 3rd with no one banging on the door to replace him.  

7 minutes ago, jb84 said:

Zimm now at an impressive 7.67 ERA. Amazing they keep bringing him back season after season.

Has any team ever released a guy making $20 million plus a year?  I kind of doubt it.  The fact that the Tigers are not making an attempt to be the first (or one of the very few) says something more about the way this game works as a business than about the Tigers. 

Just now, IdahoBert said:

Has any team ever released a guy making $20 million plus a year?  I kind of doubt it.  The fact that the Tigers are not making an attempt to be the first (or one of the very few) says something more about the way this game works as a business than about the Tigers. 

Who would replace him in the rotation? Carpenter or Reininger? Weirdly, Zimm might be the best in house option we have for that spot...

Just now, TallBaby said:

Who would replace him in the rotation? Carpenter or Reininger? Weirdly, Zimm might be the best in house option we have for that spot...

The thing is when somebody says you need to cut Cabrera or cut Zimmerman my first feeling is “blank yeah!”

But I don’t think the business side of the game  works like that. And then I feel sad. 

6 minutes ago, TallBaby said:

Shane Halter and Don Kelly are available . . .

Zimmermann isn't likely to get cut until there isn't a spot for him.  He isn't blocking anyone right now.  He likely won't be blocking anyone for the duration of his contract.

37 minutes ago, Buddha said:

do you think the same way about candelario?

Jiemer was 2 WAR in his 24 yr old season will probably equal that again this season despite being sent down, and as noted, is bringing increasing defensive value. But that said, no -  I'm not expecting him to turn into Beltre at this point either.

5 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

The thing is when somebody says you need to cut Cabrera or cut Zimmerman my first feeling is “blank yeah!”

But I don’t think the business side of the game  works like that. And then I feel sad. 

Yeah, being a real life GM is a lot different than playing one on a video game.  The best outcome will end up just having Zimm go on the DL for the extent of his contract with "fatigue".  Otherwise we are just going to sit through this one like we did with V-Mart and will do with Miggy.

is zimmerman the worst free agent pitcher the tigers have ever signed?

worse than tim belcher or mike moore?

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Pelfrey deserves a spot in that rotation.

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I don’t know but it’s the duration of his badness and the cost the that’s the problem.   

The following is Al Avila’s take on signing Zimmermann at the time he was introduced to the press in Detroit.

This is one area where -- when our scouts were here and we had the year-end meetings and the names were on the board -- Jordan was our top target," Avila said. "This is really a dream come true. In this situation, I don't know if it's rare or not. He was No. 1 on everyone's list. It's pretty reassuring.”

This is the same GM that is responsible for the rebuild. ?

8 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The following is Al Avila’s take on signing Zimmermann at the time he was introduced to the press in Detroit.

This is one area where -- when our scouts were here and we had the year-end meetings and the names were on the board -- Jordan was our top target," Avila said. "This is really a dream come true. In this situation, I don't know if it's rare or not. He was No. 1 on everyone's list. It's pretty reassuring.”

This is the same GM that is responsible for the rebuild. ?

At least he is not the guy who was overseeing 2 decades of barren amateur drafts

In fairness, he was a really good pitcher up until he signed with us and got hurt.  Its not like Avila shelled out that kind of cash for a league average starter at that point.  His tenure with us has just been a classic example of why teams are shying away from big free agent contracts.

• Like 1

I just realized we have a 10-Game road trip against west division teams.  When the Tigers go west it’s never a good thing. Even when they themselves are a good team.  

Under these circumstances I think 2-8 or 1-9 are the best we can hope for. Win at least one game.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

When DOES his contract end?

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

is that a threat or a promise?

Don't worry I won't go all Charlton Heston on him.

1 hour ago, TallBaby said:

Jeimer at least has defensive options at 1st and 3rd with no one banging on the door to replace him.  

Dawel Lugo says hello.

2 hours ago, TallBaby said:

Alexander.