RedRamage

Writer predicts NFL worst record for Lions

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We're talking about the Lions, my friend.............

youre not talking william clay ford, my friend.

15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

youre not talking william clay ford, my friend.

They'll tell Marth Vader they need another year to round their system into shape and to finish building the roster with THEIR people..........and it will work. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They'll tell Marth Vader they need another year to round their system into shape and to finish building the roster with THEIR people..........and it will work. 

Quinn was extended through 2022. That's how long they'll wait. This IS the Lions

The Lions have the 3rd best defense in their division, behind Minnesota and Chicago. And take a good look at the Lions schedule. Maybe 5 wins, maybe 3 wins. Anything over that would be amazing.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, jb84 said:

Not a big believer in the culture thing. Good teams have good players and coaches that win. But, hope they can find something that can lead to post season play

I think there's something to be said about culture of a team.  Of course it's only *part* of the picture, but I think it is a real part.  I've worked in situations where various employees/departments were adversarial towards each other.  In these situations work suffers for everyone.  People worry a lot more about whats going on with others and if they make a mistake how the "enemy" will react to it.

Again, is part of the picture.  A very talented team with a bad culture will still likely win over a very untalented team with a great culture.  But more evenly matched talent teams will swing towards the one with the better culture.

On 8/10/2019 at 6:44 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

It may work.  We really don't know how Martha will deal with this vs. WCF.  She may be willing to extend them another year, she may not... we don't know.

Generally speaking I would want to give a coach, especially a rookie coach, time to get things in order.  I would generally want to give the coach at least three years.  BUT... this is a little different situation because Quinn has been here for a longer period now and Patricia was his personal pick.  Given this its hard to separate the two.  

So if the Lions regress again... if they do worse than last year, then I would look at replacing Quinn and Patricia even though it would only be Patricia's 2nd year.

Will Martha?  I don't know.
Would WCF? No... he would give them another year for sure... and the Lions would probably improve over this year, which would make WCF extend them another 5 years thinking they are on the up-swing.

12 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I think there's something to be said about culture of a team.  Of course it's only *part* of the picture, but I think it is a real part.  I've worked in situations where various employees/departments were adversarial towards each other.  In these situations work suffers for everyone.  People worry a lot more about whats going on with others and if they make a mistake how the "enemy" will react to it.

Again, is part of the picture.  A very talented team with a bad culture will still likely win over a very untalented team with a great culture.  But more evenly matched talent teams will swing towards the one with the better culture.

Chicken or egg thing. Good teams win and develop a culture/swagger. 

8 hours ago, jb84 said:

Chicken or egg thing. Good teams win and develop a culture/swagger. 

In part, yes.  The other cliche is that winning cures everything and there's true to that.  Like a lot of things in life it isn't black and white.  A team that has some culture issues can still win and that winning can mask the culture issues.  But mediocre team with a great locker room can also mask some talent issues.

19 hours ago, number20 said:

Some of this is quite prophetical

Yeah, I was thinking about this article as the season wrapped up. This guy had it right.

On 7/22/2019 at 11:26 AM, Buddha said:

the only way they go 3-13 is if stafford gets hurt.

boom.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Yeah, I was thinking about this article as the season wrapped up. This guy had it right.

Yeah but... only due to a large number of injuries including the Stafford.  Now, that's not to say that I think the Lions would have been 13-3 without any of the key injuries, but I think they would have been more in the 8-8 range.

On 8/13/2019 at 2:48 PM, Sports_Freak said:

The Lions have the 3rd best defense in their division, behind Minnesota and Chicago. And take a good look at the Lions schedule. Maybe 5 wins, maybe 3 wins. Anything over that would be amazing.

I really underestimated Green Bay. I had no idea they would play so well. The Lions? I hit that number pretty close, sad to say.

i dont think green bay played all that well.  i think they played ok and got really lucky.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:38 PM, Sports_Freak said:

I really underestimated Green Bay. I had no idea they would play so well. The Lions? I hit that number pretty close, sad to say.

Congrats on being right by making a dumb guess. This was no 12-win team to be certain, but it took a whole lot of bad luck and tanking the rest of the way to get to only winning 3 games. 

3 minutes ago, Yoda said:

This was no 12-win team to be certain, but it took a whole lot of bad luck.....

this is the lions we are talking about? Right?

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

this is the lions we are talking about? Right?

Fair point! 

On 1/2/2020 at 5:42 PM, Buddha said:

i dont think green bay played all that well.  i think they played ok and got really lucky.

I feel the same.  Granted I've only watched about 4 of their games but from what I saw they didn't impress me that much, certainly not as good as their record.   I feel if the Lions had a little bit more luck and Stafford didn't get injured(which resulted in them essentially mailing in the 2nd half of the season) I think they could've finished with 12-13 wins like the Packers.   

And for the record I say that not cause I think the Lions are/were this great team I say that cause that is how the NFL works,  with the right luck and QB play even average teams can win 12 games some seasons.  

On 1/4/2020 at 2:38 PM, RandyMarsh said:

I feel if the Lions had a little bit more luck and Stafford didn't get injured(which resulted in them essentially mailing in the 2nd half of the season) I think they could've finished with 12-13 wins like the Packers.   

The Lions were 3-4-1 when Stafford went down. Even if they would have gone 8-0 with a healthy Stafford,  simple math says 11 wins max. Where did you find the extra 1 or 2 wins? While I agree we could have won a few more games with Stafford, we still had close to the worst defense in the NFL. But yeah, let's just blame injuries for not having HFA throughout the playoffs. /s

He also said a little more luck.

Tying Arizona and losing to KC given were remarkably unlucky even with all of the ****ery in those games they managed.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He also said a little more luck.

Tying Arizona and losing to KC given were remarkably unlucky even with all of the ****ery in those games they managed.

Yeah, a little luck. With the Lions history with luck, we all expected it. With a little luck, we could have been 16-0 and had HFA throughout the playoffs. But let's just blame injuries. Not the inability of our FO to acquire enough talent to give us depth to overcome injuries. Or our terrible coaching that blew 4th quarter leads in almost every loss.  Yes, bad luck and injuries. The Lions story for the last 60 years.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Strawmen make for a great argument.

Yeah, distorting the facts. The Lions won 11 games in 1991. Almost 30 years ago. But...if we had a bit of good luck in 2019, we could have won 12 or 13 games. OK, I'll buy it. We won't blame the coaching or front office, just bad luck. And injuries. And Jupiter crossing the path of Mars. And voodoo. Lmao...lame excuses for a lame organization. 

Come on.  We all know they suck and we all know their history.  We are all frustrated by it.

Nobody is saying they are great because they aren't, either now or in my lifetime.

The only point being made is the difference in having a QB the caliber of Stafford for an entire season paired with having some things fall your way can add up to a big season to season improvement.  That is all.  Nothing more.

49 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, distorting the facts. The Lions won 11 games in 1991. Almost 30 years ago. But...if we had a bit of good luck in 2019, we could have won 12 or 13 games. OK, I'll buy it. We won't blame the coaching or front office, just bad luck. And injuries. And Jupiter crossing the path of Mars. And voodoo. Lmao...lame excuses for a lame organization. 

They won 12 games in 1991 and 11 games in 2014. At least be accurate.