Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Writer predicts NFL worst record for Lions

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019/7/22/20703515/2019-nfl-predictions-detroit-lions-worst-record-usa-today

The short version: Predicts Lions to have a 3-13 record, tied for worst in the NFL in 2019 with the Cardinals, Redskins, Dolphins, and Bengals.

Now personally I think that's low.  But I can't fault him for the prediction.  The Lions looked bad last year with a rookie coach and a QB who seemed to regress substantially.  Given the Lions history I would have not faith in them if I was a national guy until they proved it.

I tend to think that they will improve this year vs. last given some off season upgrades, a hopefully healthy roster, and another year of experience until Patricia's belt.  But the Lions have to go out there and prove it.  Until then, I can't complain that a national writer doesn't see any life in Detroit.

Not sure about 3-13, but I do think they finish in the basement of the North with a losing record again. I'm not nursing any doubt about that. 3-13 wouldn't surprise me though. Nothing surprises me with the Lions

the only way they go 3-13 is if stafford gets hurt.

As someone who is full of out there (or ridiculous) takes about the Lions,  in particular Stafford, 3-13 is just crazy talk. I dislike Stafford and I am growing to dislike Patricia, but the team as a whole and Stafford at QB have enough talent to get them far beyond 3-13. 3-13 is Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Bucs, New York Giants territory and we are better than those teams I believe. Stafford is (or should absolutely be) a far better QB than Rosen, Winston, and rookie Daniel Jones.

I actually like a lot of the moves the Lions made in the off-season with Flowers, Coleman, James signings and bringing in Bevell as the new OC. Specific to Bevell and James, I think between scheme and blocking ability, our running game should be much improved, which should ultimately take the pressure off of Stafford and make him better than last years tire fire. I think, barring injuries, that we finally have a potential 1,000 yard, 6-8 TD rusher in Kerryon Johnson carrying the load in the backfield. Stafford should be throwing the ball less and get more time in the pocket when he does throw it. We know too that Cooter was a terrible playcaller with ludicrous route combinations for his receivers, a poor blocking scheme (err maybe all Ron Prince's fault) and predictable playcalls overall. Bevell should be a big upgrade over the previous OC and this offense should be better than last year.

All that said, I don't expect this current squad to be a good playoff team either. Unfortunately, only two teams will make it out of the NFC North (Green Bay and Minnesota) and I don't believe the Lions are one of them. 8-8 is a typical prediction for the Lions and it sound about right this year too. 3-13 is way off the mark though. If they were to be that bad, I'd expect the entire front office and coaching staff to be cleared out before season's end.

I'm one to usually be very pessimistic about the Lions going into a season but I'm not understanding the doom and gloom this season. Assuming that they remain relatively healthy and Slay/Harrison don't miss any time, I see big improvements on the D-Line, running game, tight end and corner.

The O-Line scares me a bit, linebacker is weak and you never know what you'll get with Stafford but I see this as a significantly improved team on paper (I'm particularly bullish on Flowers and potential growth of KJ and Golladay on offense). Whether or not this translates to wins is another question but at the very least, this team is headed in the right direction. 3 or even 5 wins is crazy talk barring devastating injury. I see a 7-10 win team. Division is tough though so it might be a case of them being better than their final record shows.

Until the first 3 and out of the season then the new OC will immediately be put on the hot seat. 

I don't think they'll be that bad. 

But a few things to consider.   I think Minnesota is overrated.  I like Kirk Cousins, but he is Staffrod II - Good, but hasn't won anything of note.  

I think the Packers are one Aaron Rodgers injury away from being a 6-10 team again, and he's been getting beat up a bit the last few years.  

The Lions are very hard to peg.   The defense should be pretty good.  Snacks made everyone better.  Flowers should help that D-Line, which in turn helps the LBs,  who looked a lot better in the 2nd half (Snacks Effect).   If Jahlani Tavai is as good as the Lions think he is, then it helps everyone.  But it could also be that he was a serious reach.   I think the team got good value with the Safety and CB they got in the draft.   Loved Glover Quin, but he was done last year.    

On the offense, I just have a feeling that last year Patricia was kind of forced to keep Jim Bob Cooter and then he stifled what Cooter could do (there's a dirty joke in there somewhere).   I think Stafford & Cooter clashed last year and the offense was never in sync and that might have been Patricia's play in a way.   Hockenson and Jesse James are huge factors here.   New OC, legit TE and a healthier O-Line could make a huge difference......................Or maybe Stafford just has dropped off a bit.   

I could see them being 10-6 or 5-11.    But isn't that really the NFL?   32 teams, and probably 23 or 24 of them are 8-8 teams with a few lucky breaks, turnovers or injuries taking them in either direction.   There are only a handful of really good teams (Kansas City, 2 LA teams, New Orleans, New England) and a few really bad ones (Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, Giants, Miami).  Everyone else could go either way 

I still have them at 6-10 or 7-9  with Patricia/Quinn getting a third year together.  

Still think 7-9 and the opener in Arizona will tell a lot. But, if the predicted 3-13 happens and it hastens the demise of Quinn and Patricia, it is all for the good.

I don't think the Lions will bad or good...just a classic middling leos team.

13 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

12-4.  Stafford will be in MVP talk. 

boom!  there he is!

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

boom!  there he is!

I’m getting that buzz man. 

Been busy as all heck, but will be settled by football season.  Moving to Bemidji in 3 days.  Also, who knew little children would eat up all of your time?

All I know, is we are gonna whoop arizona. No JBC specials.  It’s over my friends.  

On 7/23/2019 at 7:02 AM, jb84 said:

Still think 7-9 and the opener in Arizona will tell a lot. But, if the predicted 3-13 happens and it hastens the demise of Quinn and Patricia, it is all for the good.

One game never tells a lot, tbh. 

I would expect the Lions to handle the Cardinals rather easily. The Cardinals have nothing on either line and Murray should be running for his life.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:02 AM, jb84 said:

Not sure 3-13 gets them fired.   

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not sure 3-13 gets them fired.   

3-13 definitely gets them fired.

On 8/9/2019 at 6:54 AM, kdog said:

I would expect the Lions to handle the Cardinals rather easily. The Cardinals have nothing on either line and Murray should be running for his life.

Like the Jets opener last season?

Well I think the team culture is in a much better place in year 2. Last year training camp broke their spirit for week 1. I expect that won't be the case.

Not a big believer in the culture thing. Good teams have good players and coaches that win. But, hope they can find something that can lead to post season play

I think they have some better players this year and should beat the Cardinals.  If they don't, they could be looking 0-4 square in the face.