six-hopper

We're Number 30! Version 2.0

3 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

The Tigers now have the worst record in Major League Baseball.

Woo hoo!

Looks like Baltimore is a 1/2 game worse than the Tigers still in the win/loss column. Same percentage though.

32 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Looks like Baltimore is a 1/2 game worse than the Tigers still in the win/loss column. Same percentage though.

Orioles' Winning Percentage:  .3093

Tigers':  .3085

We're Number 30!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 2:13 PM, 1776 said:

All Baltimore has to do is win tonight and then the they will be tied as far as the number of games back.  The problem lies in that Baltimore would have played four more games than the Tigers and each game counts as 1/2 game.  If they win tonight, they would be 2-2 in those four games and thus tied with the Tigers, despite having a better winning percentage.  If Baltimore losses tonight, they will be a full game back of the Tigers. 

Whatever. If you’re losing you may as we’ll lose all of them. It literally does not matter.

set all the records. Get all the #1 picks.

10 hours ago, thefunk said:

Whatever. If you’re losing you may as we’ll lose all of them. It literally does not matter.

set all the records. Get all the #1 picks.

Yeah, I think if a team is going to commit to tanking for a rebuild, losing as much as possible for the best draft pick positioning is ideal to accelerate the rebuild.  The Tigers are painful to watch, but I'm OK with it as long as they draft well.

Has Al Avila hit Randy Smith territory yet? I mean, Smith couldn't draft worth a lick and virtually every prospect he picked was a bust, so I guess the jury is technically still out there. But Avila and this current squad have got to be getting close.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Has Al Avila hit Randy Smith territory yet? I mean, Smith couldn't draft worth a lick and virtually every prospect he picked was a bust, so I guess the jury is technically still out there. But Avila and this current squad have got to be getting close.

Randy Smith's #1 picks included:

1996 - Seth Greisinger

1997 - Matt Anderson

1998 - Jeff Weaver

1999 - Eric Munson

2000 - Matt Wheatland

2001 - Kenny Baugh

The best player selected was Jeff Weaver, and he was drafted later than the other players.  The draft is still a crapshoot.

The Tigers are now a full game back of Baltimore.  Use whatever metric you want, the Tigers are the worst team in baseball.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

The Tigers are now a full game back of Baltimore.  Use whatever metric you want, the Tigers are the worst team in baseball.  

AND we are paying Houston to roster Justin Verlander......How cool are we?

1 minute ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

AND we are paying Houston to roster Justin Verlander......How cool are we?

You're a witness to a master class in tanking.

47 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

You're a witness to a master class in tanking.

At this other forum that I frequent, the "brain trust" there tells me no team  intentionally "tanks" because the  players want to do well to advance their value for their next contract, so they would not "tank" even if expressly ordered to.

Personally I don't believe that "tanking" is that complicated. If the Tigers happen to hold a lead late in the game, just put Joe Jimenez in the game and things will take care of themselves. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 2:13 PM, 1776 said:

It's quite amusing, normally I hate west coast roadtrips because I  hate the suspense of waiting  late to see each games outcome....this year I don't even bother watching the  games here or out west.   Who cares?  It might take another 2006 like season to even get me interested in following them again.

Wow, now 2 full games behind Baltimore, and that's not counting the incomplete Oakland game. Actually tied in the loss column with Baltimore having 4 more wins. KC is still 3rd worst, a full 6 games ahead of Det. I didn't watch many games in '03 so it's safe to say this is the worst Tigers team I have ever watched play. For some reason I keep watching.

We're on pace to essentially equal our run differential from 2003(-334 in 03 and -332 this year) and things should theoretically get worse from here assuming Castellanos, Boyd and Greene are dealt.    

Orioles are now 3 games ahead of Det. Avila is a happy camper

6 hours ago, leflore said:

Orioles are now 3 games ahead of Det. Avila is a happy camper

Let's give him another extension. 

On 7/27/2019 at 5:51 AM, RandyMarsh said:

We're on pace to essentially equal our run differential from 2003(-334 in 03 and -332 this year) and things should theoretically get worse from here assuming Castellanos, Boyd and Greene are dealt.    

This is the best part. We still have are best players and this is still happening. How can we root for a team specifically constructed to lose?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

This is the best part. We still have are best players and this is still happening. How can we root for a team specifically constructed to lose?

Excellent question. I rarely tune in to games anymore. The game results are a foregone conclusion before the first pitch. I check the scores along though. I don’t have any confidence in Avila. That kills the optimist in me. When he stated recently that the Tigers probably were the fourth best team in analytics I almost laughed. If another couple of teams said that about the Tigers I might be willing to listen. Coming from Avila gives me pause. To date, he’s not proven anything at all except he is part of a train wreck with no end in sight.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

A train wreck that is that long is almost oddly impressive.

This reminds me of an article where Bill James laid out that the White Sox did not have a quality 3B from when Willie Kamm retired (1930, give or take) until they acquired Robin Ventura.  For a frame of reference, they couldn't come up with a Brandon Inge level player in that 60 year stretch.

They basically tried kids who ended up sucking, cycled through retreads, traded for guys who basically either got hurt or started their (precipitous) decline right as the Sox acquired them or just were 'name' players who weren't nearly as good as their publicity.

His basic premise was you would think a team would stumble into a quality player even by accident (like the Tigers did Brandon Inge), over that long a period of time, but it didn't happen and he suggested that was impressive in its own way.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

His basic premise was you would think a team would stumble into a quality player even by accident (like the Tigers did Brandon Inge),

I'm not certain I agree with what this statement implies.