Sign in to follow this  
Tenacious D

The Baseball Card thread

I think a lot of us are from the era when collecting baseball cards was done for fun, not profit.  The hobby took an ugly turn in the late 80’s/early 90’s, with many card shops going out of business.  I collected mostly from 1975-1982, but have cards from other years, as well.  I started collecting autographed cards a few years back with my boys.  They’ve since lost interest, but I’m hooked.

if you were a collector like I was/am, please share your favorite cards here. Hopefully it will generate some positive feelings amidst this crappy rebuild we’re having to endure.

This is the card that got it started for me, though not my favorite card:

19845B49-7872-43B3-A9D3-DEAC2541C3FB.jpeg

• Like 1

This is my all-time favorite card—an alt Alan Trammell rookie card that was part of a special team set giveaway from Burger King.  Here is Trammell’s official Topps rookie card, followed by the Burger King single rookie card:

7F87C1D3-AC00-411C-83D2-248577733BED.jpeg

C7A1A1FF-D817-44DE-A9B7-21E330A91D51.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, LooseGoose said:

UL has no tooth pick.   Fake card.  😉

So true.  That card used to **** me off, because he had to share it with Paul Molitor, who might have eclipsed in popularity (and performance).  Wonder how many Topps rookie cards contain two or more HOFers?

Been collecting since 1972. Still an avid collector and only buy cards pre '75. As a collector I'm not stuck on condition and mostly buy mid-grade cards. Have a couple 1954 Kaline rookies, '33 goudey Cochrane and Gehringer cards, 1941 play ball Gehringer and Greenberg, a t206 Cobb and many others. But my favorite is the 1953 topps Satchel Paige of which I have a few. Imagine the stats he would have had, had he been able to play mlb in his prime. He was a rookie at age 41. Little know odd fact - in 1965 at age 58 Paige came back to pitch one game and pitched 3 scoreless innings giving up one hit.

Wow that's a great card! I've always wanted that card and Seaver's rookie

I have the rest of the Tigers Burger King set as well.

img288.jpg

img289.jpg

16 hours ago, leflore said:

Been collecting since 1972. Still an avid collector and only buy cards pre '75. As a collector I'm not stuck on condition and mostly buy mid-grade cards. Have a couple 1954 Kaline rookies, '33 goudey Cochrane and Gehringer cards, 1941 play ball Gehringer and Greenberg, a t206 Cobb and many others. But my favorite is the 1953 topps Satchel Paige of which I have a few. Imagine the stats he would have had, had he been able to play mlb in his prime. He was a rookie at age 41. Little know odd fact - in 1965 at age 58 Paige came back to pitch one game and pitched 3 scoreless innings giving up one hit.

Nice!!! All premium cards!

I've collected I guess, what could be called more along the lines of "oddities".

A lot of "premiums" such as a 1934 Butterfinger premium (about 8" x 10"... good for picture framing) of Mickey Cochrane, several Goudey premiums (1936, 1939) of Greenberg, Gehringer, DiMaggio, Rudy York, Goose Goslin, 1935 Tigers Championship team photo (I think that's an R-311), an R-312 Cochrane, a 1935 Wheaties cereal box back panel of Cochrane (I framed that with a 1935 World Series Navin Field Game #2 ticket...). Oddball stuff like that...

I also have a 1954 Red Heart Dog Food rookie card (and a 1954 Topps rookie card) of Harvey Kuenn. 

I haven't chased the premium cards though, like the Kaline rookie or the T-206 Cobb... might do that some day...

I attached photos of the 1939 Goudey Premiums of DiMaggio (B - larger size, ~5 x 7) and Gehringer (A - smaller... 4 x 6). Cool cards.

s-l1606.jpg

s-l1607.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

I started when I was a kid in 84, I didn't really care that much about MLB baseball at the time.  I just played a lot.  In the early 2000's I bought a lot of Barry Bonds rookie cards (during the roid scandal) on the cheap, hoping they would increase in price once people stopped caring about it, but the cards were probably so mass-produced, I doubt if they are going to fetch a profit ever.  (I have about 500 different Bonds rookies).

The best card ever:

51nb-xWFh-L.jpg

I also remember buying a box of 1989 Donruss cards trying to get a Gregg Jefferies rookie card (he was hot at the time) and ended up with 1 of them, but I ended up with about 20 of this guy (without the autograph).

Picture 1 of 1

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Those are very cool.

Happy 77th birthday to Mickey Stanley

9D180D2E-1295-4DC9-ACDD-15F01473070D.jpeg

Mickey looks like he is wanting to kick someone's *** in that picture (or else he was annoyed he had to pose for a picture).

On 7/19/2019 at 11:50 PM, Tenacious D said:

19845B49-7872-43B3-A9D3-DEAC2541C3FB.jpeg

That is my all time favorite card and it is prominently displayed in my man cave.

2nd place is this:

1974RookiesKiss.jpg

• Like 2