84 Lives!!!

2020 MLB Draft

I swear that Cabrera contract feels never ending, it feels like we owed him a guaranteed 4 years 2 or 3 seasons ago.  I can't believe we still owe him a guarantee of 134 million.   

If Miggy gets in shape but still fails, I don't think we can hold his poor performance against him because he legitimately tried to bounce back.  It's the Ilitch family 's fault that they owe him $$$$

Very interesting choice coming up in this draft. I tend to be anti taking the 1B, but Torkelsons bat is special and we have nothing like his power in our system. Hancock is an easy projection for Avila and co with the Mize comps. We also have nothing like Martin's contact skills plus defensive hands in the system though either, and I do love college 3Bs. 

I'm a Martin lean as of today, with Torkelson slightly over Hancock due to our pitching depth. 

They should take Hancock. Pitching is still the  most important ingredient to winning and it only went up in value this off season and is the only position that the Tiger organization has a proven record of development. They should stick to what they do best. Just trade and buy hitters after they have a proven track record. 

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Very interesting choice coming up in this draft. I tend to be anti taking the 1B, but Torkelsons bat is special and we have nothing like his power in our system. Hancock is an easy projection for Avila and co with the Mize comps. We also have nothing like Martin's contact skills plus defensive hands in the system though either, and I do love college 3Bs. 

I'm a Martin lean as of today, with Torkelson slightly over Hancock due to our pitching depth. 

I think if the draft was today you would have to take Tork. Martin is great, too, but it seems like a lot of his hype is based on projecting his ability to handle SS well and also realizing power that hasn’t arrived yet. Hancock is fine but pitchers and so unpredictable, I think you really want to see how they do as a junior. 

• Like 1

Finding 1B with power is much easier than a middle infielder with moderate power/high OBP.  I’d go Moneyball with this draft, all things equal.

Also, where have we demonstrated an ability to develop pitchers?  Verlander and Porcello have been the only two over the last 10 years, and neither required much development time in minors.  

BPA regardless of position.  Come June if that's Hancock, take him.  The abysmal state of the org position player talent/depth should not factor, IMO, at 1-1.

From Jan-Jun, it seems like pitching shifts (ex. Singer, Faedo) a little more than hitting (ex. Bart, Madrigal, Rutschman), so we'll see.  Either way, the Tigers should have some good options.

6 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

If Miggy gets in shape but still fails, I don't think we can hold his poor performance against him because he legitimately tried to bounce back.  It's the Ilitch family 's fault that they owe him $$$$

I'll never blame a player for taking the money offered. 

12 minutes ago, Los Gatos said:

BPA regardless of position.  Come June if that's Hancock, take him.  The abysmal state of the org position player talent/depth should not factor, IMO, at 1-1.

From Jan-Jun, it seems like pitching shifts (ex. Singer, Faedo) a little more than hitting (ex. Bart, Madrigal, Rutschman), so we'll see.  Either way, the Tigers should have some good options.

I agree, BPA. But if there are players deemed to be equal in talent I would go with the bat.

i agree on the bpa idea assuming that one player breaks out and separates himself from the others.  seems to me like the difference between 1 and 2 is often negligible.

Yep, having 2-3 equals to choose from would be both a blessing and a curse in a way, but it will probably come down to that.  If all is truly equal, for the Tigers I'd go hitter, too.  What I meant was if Hancock does separate himself as BPA, that would be my pick despite org needs.  If the draft was today, I wouldn't bark about any of those 3; they all seem very legit.

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I swear that Cabrera contract feels never ending, it feels like we owed him a guaranteed 4 years 2 or 3 seasons ago.  I can't believe we still owe him a guarantee of 134 million.   

He'll earn it.  Word is that he'll come to Spring Training in the best shape of his life.

2020: $30 million
2021: $30 million
2022: $32 million
2023: $32 million
2024: $30 million vesting option
2025: $30 million vesting option

16 hours ago, leflore said:

I'll never blame a player for taking the money offered. 

I don't think anyone should blame him for taking the contract.  Every contract has risk involved.  What has happened with Cabrera's health is not a completely surprising turn of events.

The problem with the contract was the timing of it, wasn't he still 2 years from FA?   There was really no reason to offer it to him when we did.  If he puts up another great season the following year, great, it's not gonna make him worth anymore, I mean by that point he was already viewed as the best hitter in baseball for several years another great season isn't going to change anything in regards to his stock.  

They could've just as easily waited a season or maybe even 2(if it took paying a little more being in a bidding war so be it) before offering him that extension.   

The only reason I can think of is that Mike knew he wasn't long for this world and wanted to make sure Cabrera was signed as a Tiger "for life" before he passed.    I really don't see any other logic in the decision.  

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The problem with the contract was the timing of it, wasn't he still 2 years from FA?   There was really no reason to offer it to him when we did.  

If they didn't they would have been neogiating the offseason before he became a free agent. Usually when players get that close they take it to FA. The Tigers didn't want to risk it. It wasn't like they weren't gonna offer him 250 million even in he got hurt in that 2 years to go year. 

It's pretty typical to sign extensions, whether its coaches or players, in any sport in that second to last year. There is a benefit for team building and for continuity and it eliminates that lame duck year where anything can happen so there is benefit for both sides. 

Miggy was coming off the two MVPs, was the best player in the game and needed to become the highest paid. The contract itself wasn't bad. We knew the last few years weren't gonna be great. Problem was we figured we would still get an all-star level hitter for the first few years and we did not. 

14 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

If they didn't they would have been neogiating the offseason before he became a free agent. Usually when players get that close they take it to FA. The Tigers didn't want to risk it. It wasn't like they weren't gonna offer him 250 million even in he got hurt in that 2 years to go year. 

It's pretty typical to sign extensions, whether its coaches or players, in any sport in that second to last year. There is a benefit for team building and for continuity and it eliminates that lame duck year where anything can happen so there is benefit for both sides. 

Miggy was coming off the two MVPs, was the best player in the game and needed to become the highest paid. The contract itself wasn't bad. We knew the last few years weren't gonna be great. Problem was we figured we would still get an all-star level hitter for the first few years and we did not. 

given cabrera's body type, injury history, and fitness, the only explanation that makes sense is illitch wanting him to be a tiger for life.

any other reason leads one to believe the tigers were idiots.

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

given cabrera's body type, injury history, and fitness, the only explanation that makes sense is illitch wanting him to be a tiger for life.

any other reason leads one to believe the tigers were idiots.

See this is how I can tell you are using revisionist hindsight. 

Injury history? Before he signed the extension the fewest number of games he played in a season was 148. 

He had no injury history. 

2 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

See this is how I can tell you are using revisionist hindsight. 

Injury history? Before he signed the extension the fewest number of games he played in a season was 148. 

He had no injury history. 

nope.  in 2013 he played through injury.  his being injured was a huge factor in why they lost to boston (that and leyland's idiotic bullpen decisions).

and i see you decided not to mention his body type or his fitness regime.

signing him to that extension was foolhardy.  

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

nope.  in 2013 he played through injury.  his being injured was a huge factor in why they lost to boston (that and leyland's idiotic bullpen decisions).

and i see you decided not to mention his body type or his fitness regime.

signing him to that extension was foolhardy.  

I didn't mention his body type or fitness regime because they are irrelevant as he had never been hurt. They hadn't played a part. To think they would would just be conjecture based on 0 evidence. 

In fairness to Miggy, wasn’t his first injury non-baseball?  I thought it happened when he allegedly tried to separate Prince and Avisail from killing each other.

49 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I didn't mention his body type or fitness regime because they are irrelevant as he had never been hurt. They hadn't played a part. To think they would would just be conjecture based on 0 evidence. 

You're wrong because he had been hurt in 2013, which you seem to be ignoring.  You're also wrong that body type and how you take care of yourself as you age means nothing.  I mean, Prince Fielder had never been hurt and had played 162 games a year when the Tigers signed him to a 9 year deal.  Who could have imagined he wouldn't play 162 games for the next nine years?

If an organization isn't considering these things, then it's a stupid organization.  I don't think Dombrowski and the people who run/ran the Tigers are stupid.  Instead, I think a sentimental owner wanted to take care of a great player.  I don't see how that is a controversial opinion and why you have such an issue with it.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

If an organization isn't considering these things, then it's a stupid organization.  I don't think Dombrowski and the people who run/ran the Tigers are stupid.  Instead, I think a sentimental owner wanted to take care of a great player.  I don't see how that is a controversial opinion and why you have such an issue with it.

There obviously were growing tensions between Dombrowski and M Ilitch. Seems disagreements over the direction of the team would have been the obvious driver for that.