84 Lives!!!

2020 MLB Draft

Miguel Cabrera is signed through his age 40.  Then, depending upon whether he is in top ten of MVP voting in 2023 (at age 40) ..a vesting option kicks in for year 2024.  Similarly, if in the top ten of MVP voting in 2024 (age 41)..another vesting option kicks in for 2025.  

It would be safe to project that Miggy will not realize either of those vesting options.

• Like 1

I like Austin cause he looks like a true lead off (or 2nd) hitter, which we are completely devoid of.  As is many MLB team. 

A lot can happen in the next 6 months, but if the draft were today, I too would go with Austin. Seems like the best all around prospect right now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I like Austin cause he looks like a true lead off (or 2nd) hitter, which we are completely devoid of.  As is many MLB team. 

I'm always bummed out when you read the comps on these guys' prospect pages though. "He looks as good as Danby Swanson!". Then you look up Danby and he is a 1 war player....:dead:

26 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'm always bummed out when you read the comps on these guys' prospect pages though. "He looks as good as Danby Swanson!". Then you look up Danby and he is a 1 war player....:dead:

I used to like the Sparky Anderson comps.  

47 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That is a concern.  Let’s hope he separates himself next season.

7 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I used to like the Sparky Anderson comps.  

Was it Chris Pittaro who was the next Mickey Mantle?  I forget...

4 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Was it Chris Pittaro who was the next Mickey Mantle?  I forget...

Kirk Gibson was the next Mickey Mantle

Barbaro Garbey was the next Roberto Clemente

Carl Willis was the next Rollie Fingers

Chris Pitarro was the best rookie he saw in 15 years. 

The great thing was that I always sort of believed him.  He was a tremendous salesman.   

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

There's nothing that Torey Lovullo can't do.  

If you don’t like Torey Lovullo, you don’t like ice cream.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:04 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Isn't Miguel signed until he is 42 or something?

image.thumb.png.d664f39ee4065bd65b1c62d3e6217510.png

I can't see those vesting options kicking in.  But I'of been wrong before.

On 12/23/2019 at 1:32 PM, Charles Liston said:

I want the guy who isn't a dh.

Agree. A lumbering first baseman — in college no less — who will maybe be as good as Dave Kingman, if we’re lucky.

Of course, Austin Martin, is a “pure hitter“ who is versatile and will perhaps be a moderately good defender who will be perfect for Comerica Park and hit the ball in the gaps which is the very embodiment of exciting “real baseball” even though his stat line may most likely disappoint. 

If our team were the Astros — minus the naked misogyny and the cheating — I might be more optimistic about either of these two choices but we’re not and I’m not. Fortunately I don’t know anything and the only thing I’m really good at is complaining. 

Is Torkelson "lumbering"?  I've read at least one report that says he has the athleticism to play 3rd or perhaps a corner  OF

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

So the options don't kick in.

You honestly think there is a chance in **** this team would sign him beyond age 40?

19 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

If you don’t like Torey Lovullo, you don’t like ice cream.

That was Dave Rucker.  

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

Is Torkelson "lumbering"?  I've read at least one report that says he has the athleticism to play 3rd or perhaps a corner  OF

I've seen video. He looks pretty quick. Thick, but definitely not lumbering.

Idaho's characterization is off-base.

10 hours ago, Casimir said:

if those vesting options are even remotely in play to kick in, the tigers will be able to trade miggy for some prospects.

8 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I think it said it they would 'try' him at 3rd or the OF this season, as in he has yet to do anything in either place. 20 is a little later than I would like to see a guy taking on a skill fielding position from scratch - but he can certainly boost his draft status even higher if he does show he can play 3b this spring.

10 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I've seen video. He looks pretty quick. Thick, but definitely not lumbering.

Idaho's characterization is off-base.

I did say that I don’t know anything so there’s always that. I am happy to be off base in this case. I hope I am. But some of the stuff I’ve read has led me to believe that he is playing first base for a reason. Castellanos for instance “looks like a ballplayer“ but he hasn’t fielded like one. Didn’t he play shortstop in high school or something? I know he wasn’t at first base.

Torkelson could be mostly a pure hitter, period. Guys like this can be exciting to watch. If he keeps developing as a hitter he could be tremendous. 

I'm not saying he's a Gold-Glover either... Just... when I see him, he looks competent. Not great range, but hustles. If he can pick it (outta the dirt, etc...); then I don't mind it if he stays at 1st. So long as the bat is lethal...

With a capital "L".

If they try to stick him at 3rd... he's got to be more than competent... have range... and glove...

Which puts me back at 1st with him. I'd rather have Aurelio Rodriguez at 3rd than another Castellanos is what I'm saying...

13 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You honestly think there is a chance in **** this team would sign him beyond age 40?

I've been cutting down on my drinking.

9 hours ago, Buddha said:

if those vesting options are even remotely in play to kick in, the tigers will be able to trade miggy for some prospects.

No they won't.  If that happens, the apocalypse will have hit and we'll all be dead.  Except for Keith Richards.

• Like 1