84 Lives!!!

2020 MLB Draft

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He doesn't have the good face.

He looks like he belongs in the 1972 All Star team photo.

He looks old already.  I think we just got screwed on a phony birth certificate.  He's 28 already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would never have imagined Dingler being available. 

Judging by his twitter handle he also goes by "Spenny", that sounds like a scrappy middle infielder, not a power hitting corner infielder.   Somebody better smarten him up to that and have him change it.  

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Judging by his twitter handle he also goes by "Spenny", that sounds like a scrappy middle infielder, not a power hitting corner infielder.   Somebody better smarten him up to that and have him change it.  

I don't like the name "Spenny" at all.  He has a name that sounds like the captain of the chess team, and his Mom seems like a very nice lady but to be coldly objective she's not all that hot.  So, let's see Boras talk his way out of those two factors.

So where do you predict Tork ends up on Detroit's prospect ranking. 2nd? Might he supplant Mize?

I posted mostly to use the word supplant. Been waiting 6 years to use asymptote 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leflore said:

So where do you predict Tork ends up on Detroit's prospect ranking. 2nd? Might he supplant Mize?

Guys like Kiley, Law and Longenhagen said that he'd be somewhere in the 20s on their Top 100 so atleast according to them he would still be behind Mize and perhaps Manning and Skubal as well.    

Yeah, I am seeing some problems with Torkelson too. He looks good up at the plate, but I agree the face is disappointing.  And we already knew the name was a problem.  We kept on repeating Tork Tork Tork and we thought it was cool, but we forgot that he's a Spencer.   Both of his parents are accountants and his family just looks way too nice.  I don't know.  

gallery_medium.jpg  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We might need to keep Gardy around just to toughen him up when he gets here.    Let's hope his bat doesn't go into hibernation when it gets a little chilly like it does for our Mexicans.  

13 minutes ago, leflore said:

Gehringer uses those two words every day before he finishes breakfast.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I would never have imagined Dingler being available. 

I'd be thrilled with that pick.  I thought he was gonna be a mid first rounder.    

Det has 3 of the next 35 picks. I'm gonna guess D Cabrera at 38

Gotta go Dillon Dingler.  Although his name sounds vaguely naughty.  Dirk Diggler, anyone?

Tork's mom is Guy Fieri's CFO. Guy said he's a big fan and will be attending some games. Might see some new foods showing up at Comerica concessions

3 minutes ago, leflore said:

Tork's mom is Guy Fieri's CFO. Guy said he's a big fan and will be attending some games. Might see some new foods showing up at Comerica concessions

I saw a couple people mention on twitter how Guy was tweeting about Tork and I was wondering what the connection was.  That's pretty cool, I'm a Guy Fieri fan.  

1 hour ago, leflore said:

I totally respect your previously unquenched desire to use the word "supplant".  I think that "asymptote" might have to wait a bit longer, based upon my unscientific assessment of the average IQ around here.  Plus, I don't know what it means.

It's like "bloviate", I didn't know how to use that in a sentence until 2017.  I might get banned for that.

• Like 1

You guys are crazy. Get out of here.

That’s a face that belongs talking about his latest walk-off home run, his all-star game MVP, or the most recent World Series victory.

And his Mother is a saint! Leave that lady alone. She raised our future WS MVP. Leave the hotness up to whichever model he falls for when he’s shooting a commercial for the latest video game.

Tork's mom looks like the ob-gyn I go to.  Who, just to be clear, puts on her "GP/family doctor" hat for my appointments.

My pick is either Dingler or Cabrera, then Freddy Zamora at 62. I wouldn't be shocked if they went pitcher, Jared Kelley is sitting there too. It would tick off the Astros/Oops Orioles if they did that.

Take Cole Henry, offer him full slot at the top of the second and dare him to go back to college. If he does, fine, you get a comp pick and larger bonus points to play with in a full draft next year.

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Yeah, I am seeing some problems with Torkelson too. He looks good up at the plate, but I agree the face is disappointing.  And we already knew the name was a problem.  We kept on repeating Tork Tork Tork and we thought it was cool, but we forgot that he's a Spencer.   Both of his parents are accountants and his family just looks way too nice.  I don't know.  

gallery_medium.jpg  

A lot to take in here, and not all of it negative.

1.  Mom is holding what looks to be wine and is wearing...flannel?  Guessing the throw pillow to candle ratio will be acceptable in her house.  I can work with that.

2. The dad may be an accountant, but looks like he works in a tool and die shop, and that is what is important.  And that's a 'stache Walt Terrell would be proud to rock.  No problems there, though I don't know what is up with his collar?

3. That's a nice outdoors vista in the photo.  I respect that, and that counts.

4. Brother looks like a typical brother in a picture.  Doesn't move the needle either way.

5. Completely ambivalent on the Guy Fieri news.

That out of the way, let us address the elephant in the room.

Spenny? GTFO of here with that.  Seriously.  I do not *ever* want to hear that again.  Somehow that is much worse the Spencer or Torkleson, and I would have told you last night that simply was not possible.  It's like a cheap south-Asian knock-off of WALL-E or something.

I don't know what the answer is, but as they say, necessity is the mother of invention.  I think this is an opportunity for this message board to truly provide something tangibly good to a future key player, and come up with a MLB nickname and put an end to this series of embarrassments that is his moniker.

He needs our help, this much is clear.  The only question that remains: 'are we up to it?'

spenny sounds like some fake hockey nickname.... nothing wrong with Spence.   It's simple, one syllable.... Tork seems too obvious and rhymes with Dork... can't have that.  Torkie?  Or change spenny into Penny.... like Penny Hardaway.

as far as his looks go....  I expect a full beard soon.  Then he'll have panache.

As a freshman on Varsity in HS, 1988, because of my name, I was given the nickname of Donger, by the seniors.

Flash forward 20 years with Facebook... those same seniors revisited it.  

50 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

Take Cole Henry, offer him full slot at the top of the second and dare him to go back to college. If he does, fine, you get a comp pick and larger bonus points to play with in a full draft next year.

Are you hearing that as a probability? Or is that something you would promote doing? I can’t fault the logic.

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Tork's mom looks like the ob-gyn I go to.  Who, just to be clear, puts on her "GP/family doctor" hat for my appointments.

The ob-gyn that you go to...oh that was unsettling.  You walked it most of the way back though.

26 minutes ago, Aw1972jw said:

Are you hearing that as a probability? Or is that something you would promote doing? I can’t fault the logic.

Well, the Tiger's have all day to make this happen.  I wouldn't waste the pick on a gamble--they have the benefit of being able to negotiate a commitment prior to selecting anyone.