84 Lives!!!

2020 MLB Draft

2 hours ago, djhutch said:

I realize Torkelson has more power, but I like the way Austin Martin is trending. It's more likely that he adds power than it is Torkelson developing a patient eye .. We've been needing hitters in this system like Martin for years. I wouldn't pass up the chance to draft him .. 

Who says Torkelson doesn't have a patient eye?

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

just need to see how the year plays out; Singer and Faedo were at #1 at various times

And Singer still looks pretty good. I wouldn't bet a lot of money he doesn't end up as good as Mize.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:12 AM, Lei Pong said:

No....I'm just being a dick.  I do believe Tork and Greene....like Pork and Beans..would work well together as corner OF group.  At least until Campos and De la Cruz force them to 1b and DH

DeLaCruz is a stud. There are more players down there too.

Just looked up DaLaCruz.  Now I see why I had not heard of him before.

Stud .. .. .. .. .. indeed!

EDITED TO ADD:  Ok all .. RE:  my comment above .. I looked up Issrael Da La Cruz. 

Then looked again and discovered other Da La Cruz's .. including Danuerys Da La Cruz and Jose Da La Cruz.

I will bank on Jose Da La Cruz ..with interest!!!

That BABIP says .411.  In other words, let's pump the breaks a little bit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Casimir said:

That BABIP says .411.  In other words, let's pump the breaks a little bit.

The kid is only 17.  Not hitting the brakes at all.

11 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

The 3 true outcomes.

Isn't that essentially how everything works?

22 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

The kid is only 17.  Not hitting the brakes at all.

Yes, he's only 17.  I'm not saying he has no future.  I'm just stating the obvious.  Awfully high BABIP.  He could end up being the next Joe DiMaggio or the next Steven Moya or somewhere in between or something completely different.

If the Georgia pitcher or someone else emerges as the obvious best talent then imho they should take him 1-1. If it's a closer call with a pitcher and position player I think AA will take the bat.

• Like 1

I think they should take the best bat. They need bats in the system more than additional arms. 

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think they should take the best bat. They need bats in the system more than additional arms. 

Even if AA assesses that there is a large gap in talent between a pitcher and the best bat? I think AA would go with the arm.

• Like 1

For my money, if Hancock ends up looking like another Mize or Verlander kind of guy,  you almost have to take him because even with the high injury risk to pitchers,  I think a 20 yr old that throws 95+ with command and an offspeed pitch is more reliably projectable than almost any hitting prospect. You can always trade out of your system imbalances but you can't afford to pass on the highest probability major leaguers. But that is only going to be true if Hancock does separate himself from the pack next season the way Mize did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Even if AA assesses that there is a large gap in talent between a pitcher and the best bat? I think AA would go with the arm.

If there's a generational college pitcher on the level of a Verlander, and it's clear to everybody that Hancock is that guy, and there's no similarly generational bat in the draft, then sure, take that arm at 1-1. 

• Like 1

It's only one man's opinion but Law said in a recent chat he thinks Hancock could be the best pitching prospect since Cole in 2011.

• Like 1

If Boyd starts hot, we need to move him at the trade Deadline for bats. But AA needs to be realistic. Asking for 3 top 50 prospects is unrealistic.... If He can get 1 top 30 and another top 100, he should do it. Fulmer, if he proves to return to form, he too should be flipped. We could add 2-3 prospects for each (preferably bats). Pair 4 to 6 prospects with Greene and Peredes, you're on to something. Sign Lindor in two years, and you're all set........

(Yes I know, I could be the GM.... it's that easy!) lol [please note the heavy sarcasm]

29 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

If Boyd starts hot, we need to move him at the trade Deadline for bats. But AA needs to be realistic. Asking for 3 top 50 prospects is unrealistic.... If He can get 1 top 30 and another top 100, he should do it. Fulmer, if he proves to return to form, he too should be flipped. We could add 2-3 prospects for each (preferably bats). Pair 4 to 6 prospects with Greene and Peredes, you're on to something. Sign Lindor in two years, and you're all set........

(Yes I know, I could be the GM.... it's that easy!) lol [please note the heavy sarcasm]

You probably can't get anything for Fulmer until he proves he is effective, and there is a good chance he won't  be effective until 2021 - so that's a bit of a drag.