84 Lives!!!

2020 MLB Draft

If Tork can play a corner OF or 3RD...he's the clear #1 in my book...unless that RHP shows he's healthy and refines his command (3 plus pitches? OK) or the SS adds 10-15lbs of muscle and displays middle of the order potential at the plate.  This looks to be a GREAT year to have that 1-1

6 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

If Tork can play a corner OF or 3RD...he's the clear #1 in my book...unless that RHP shows he's healthy and refines his command (3 plus pitches? OK) or the SS adds 10-15lbs of muscle and displays middle of the order potential at the plate.  This looks to be a GREAT year to have that 1-1

Isn't 1b a huge need in the organization?  There's nobody there.

33 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I'm penciling Riley Greene in there

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Yes. But you claim to know about prospect. You know you don't draft for positional need and you know the problems of drafting a first baseman only.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yes. But you claim to know about prospect. You know you don't draft for positional need and you know the problems of drafting a first baseman only.

They have no power in the organization either. There's no problem with drafting a 1b only when you don't have one. He has to hit.

There is 'not having anyone there' and there is 'not having anyone we might want to end up putting there' and those are not quite the same thing. If you really have an org with no player you believe will hit but not be able to hold down his current fielding position and so may end up 'falling' to 1b, then sure, drafting a 1b only is a free choice, but I doubt that is often the case in many organizations, in which case not drafting 1B's leaves the spot open to possibly save some value of a draft choice already spent or of another player already in the system (Christin Stewart comes to mind.....). Everything is always relative, if Miguel Cabrera V2 happens to already be at 1b on his college team it doesn't matter who else's value in your org ends up being lost, but as you said he has to hit. You better be sure it's Miguel Cabrera V2 and not John Hicks V2.

Basically my point is that Tork shouldn't be downgraded because of position.  In fact, he fills many needs in the organization, for a big bat and at 1st base.  The only thing that would make me hesitate about that pick is if Martin goes nuts.

16 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

If Greene can stick in the outfield, and it sure looks like he can, you leave him there.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

If Greene can stick in the outfield, and it sure looks like he can, you leave him there.

Yup. Christin Stewart is much more immediate "where to put him" problem than Greene. Problem is Stewart probably isn't an adequate 1b either.

18 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Why would you pencil him there?  Has he bombed out of the OF defensively?

7 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Has he bombed out of the OF defensively?

No, the opposite.

36 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yup. Christin Stewart is much more immediate "where to put him" problem than Greene. Problem is Stewart probably isn't an adequate 1b either.

Stewart's bigger problem is whether he's going to hit enough to keep in the line-up.  

11 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Stewart's bigger problem is whether he's going to hit enough to keep in the line-up.  

well yes, that too.

Even with all the improvement in the overall system the outfield is still a wasteland at AAA. The number of promising outfield prospects that have gotten to Toledo in the last 15 years only to plateau and die there or soon after being called up is really depressing, And doesn't look like it's going to change next year.

FWIW I guess you could count Garcia and Castellanos as system successes. And I think Dirks may have been able to stick in the majors if he hadn't messed up his back.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Why would you pencil him there?  Has he bombed out of the OF defensively?

No....I'm just being a dick.  I do believe Tork and Greene....like Pork and Beans..would work well together as corner OF group.  At least until Campos and De la Cruz force them to 1b and DH

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

well yes, that too.

Even with all the improvement in the overall system the outfield is still a wasteland at AAA. The number of promising outfield prospects that have gotten to Toledo in the last 15 years only to plateau and die there or soon after being called up is really depressing, And doesn't look like it's going to change next year.

FWIW I guess you could count Garcia and Castellanos as system successes. And I think Dirks may have been able to stick in the majors if he hadn't messed up his back.

I hadn’t thought of Castellanos as a successful OF developed in the Tigers system, because I thought he was a straight 3B-eventual-1B prospect, but going back I’m reminded he was a converted outfielder, so I’ll allow it.

By the way, have a nice chuckle at this Bleacher Report headline from 2012:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1302220-detroit-tigers-top-prospect-nick-castellanos-the-next-mike-trout

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Tork may well be a great impact bat,  I'd still find it really hard to pass on a two way player as good as Martin.

I'm on board, as long as he sees a marked increase in power this year. 

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Tork may well be a great impact bat,  I'd still find it really hard to pass on a two way player as good as Martin.

I do too.  That impact bat might be Eric Munson's.  If they cool off the baseball, hitting it hard in the gaps might become a valuable skill again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

No....I'm just being a dick.

Keep up the good work.  :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think I agree.

• Like 1

I realize Torkelson has more power, but I like the way Austin Martin is trending. It's more likely that he adds power than it is Torkelson developing a patient eye .. We've been needing hitters in this system like Martin for years. I wouldn't pass up the chance to draft him .. 

22 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I realize Torkelson has more power, but I like the way Austin Martin is trending. It's more likely that he adds power than it is Torkelson developing a patient eye .. We've been needing hitters in this system like Martin for years. I wouldn't pass up the chance to draft him .. 

just need to see how the year plays out; Singer and Faedo were at #1 at various times