84 Lives!!!

2020 MLB Draft

26 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I really like Torkleson because he has the shortest and most beautiful swing I've ever seen from a right handed hitter.

I wonder if he can actually run a little bit. He has swiped a couple of bases.

1 hour ago, leflore said:

I'd think it would be worse to play for Baltimore

Or the Marlins.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Or the Marlins.

maybe apropos of this:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/03/08/tigers-niko-goodrum-clubhouse-affability-shaped-bad-first-taste-big-league-life/4994479002/

Niko with a story about his call-up to the Twins and pretty much being shut out of the clubhouse and ignored by his manager. I imagine player's perceptions about that kind of thing must get around the league.

• Like 1

I was messing around about Martin not wanting to be here cause in reality unless things change drastically(like we sign a big time FA) he should have a wide open path to making the big club, especially if he can indeed handle short.

I think he'd definitely be called up by Sept 2021 if we were to draft him.  

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was messing around about Martin not wanting to be here cause in reality unless things change drastically(like we sign a big time FA) he should have a wide open path to making the big club, especially if he can indeed handle short.

I figured it was mostly messing with perhaps a kernel of truth.

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I really like Torkleson because he has the shortest and most beautiful swing I've ever seen from a right handed hitter.

You obviously never watched me play.

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Tork has 2 stolen bases, 1 caught stealing.  No triples, this year or the last 3 years.  Only 1 GIDP.  I assume the scouts out there have his times to first etc., but I haven't seen any.

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

maybe apropos of this:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/03/08/tigers-niko-goodrum-clubhouse-affability-shaped-bad-first-taste-big-league-life/4994479002/

Niko with a story about his call-up to the Twins and pretty much being shut out of the clubhouse and ignored by his manager. I imagine player's perceptions about that kind of thing must get around the league.

That was still Joe Mauer's team.

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Agree. If the Tigers have a real timeline to start competing by 2022, we need to draft someone who can be up and ready to go by then.

Given how dramatically development at the college level has been improving of late, I'm wondering whether we're going to see a college player drafted who proceeds directly to a major league roster anytime soon. Last guy to do that was Xavier Nady in 2000.

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That was still Joe Mauer's team.

Yeah.  It is important to note Niko doesn't think anyone did anything intentionally.

He simply thinks they were focused on themselves and nobody made it a point to make sure everyone felt welcome.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah.  It is important to note Niko doesn't think anyone did anything intentionally.

He simply thinks they were focused on themselves and nobody made it a point to make sure everyone felt welcome.

Right, which probably flowed from Joe as the leader of the team. Not that he's a bad guy, but he was the alpha, and he might have been one of those people who are prone to just put their heads down and get the job done. Focus can be interpreted as aloofness.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:55 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

No

23 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Wasn't Molitor's rep  that he an aloof manager as well?

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Wasn't Molitor's rep  that he an aloof manager as well?

Yep. He and Mauer are both St Paul boys but neither are overtly social or energetic. The players love Baldelli

On 3/10/2020 at 7:10 AM, chasfh said:

Given how dramatically development at the college level has been improving of late, I'm wondering whether we're going to see a college player drafted who proceeds directly to a major league roster anytime soon. 

That’s exciting to hear. How more quickly are college players getting to the majors compared to previously? Is it a general trend like getting to the majors a year sooner or more? Or is it more episodic? I remember Kyle Schwarber coming through Boise but he was only here a week before getting to a higher level and I missed him.  

Every year there’s a slew of #1’s coming through here for all the NWL teams right out of college. But they don’t necessarily appear to stand out to my untrained eye. The only player I’ve seen come through Boise for which I had an OMG moment is Gleyber Torres. He was only 17 and he already looked like a genuine major-leaguer. He made my jaw drop. He was an international free agent. 

44 minutes ago, leflore said:

Yep. He and Mauer are both St Paul boys

so this is my Minnesota story: We had been living there for a couple of years and had occasion to be back in A^2 and my wife and I were standing in line at a CVS - and the person in line next to us struck up a conversation. My wife and I looked at each other with the simultaneous realization "Oh, we aren't in MN"

We are clearly entering unchartered territory with the coronavirus issue, and this is less important in the grand scheme of things, but if high school and college baseball seasons are suspended, MLB teams will have to figure out how they evaluate the talent prior to the draft.  I could see them doing some sort of a combine, with tournaments, while pushing the draft back to be able to account for some sort of evaluation period.

Interesting times.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so this is my Minnesota story: We had been living there for a couple of years and had occasion to be back in A^2 and my wife and I were standing in line at a CVS - and the person in line next to us struck up a conversation. My wife and I looked at each other with the simultaneous realization "Oh, we aren't in MN"

Almost everyone I know has had the same experience in Salt Lake City. It is one of the most unfriendly cities anywhere. If you casually say something to someone in a public place they look at you as if you’d violated a norm of etiquette in the worst possible manner. It’s not a Mormon thing either. Small Mormon towns are so friendly they’re idyllic; like being in Mayberry. Every major city I’ve ever been in is friendlier than Salt Lake City.

In Minnesota if more than one car comes to a 4-way stop, they all wait a minimum of 3 hours to continue on. Everyone waves the other cars on. It's nice, but overboard 

20 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Vandy with a game tomorrow. We'll be looking for an Austin Martin sighting.

Austin Martin had 4AB, 3H including one 2b.

13 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Austin Martin had 4AB, 3H including one 2b.

Kewl. I don't think there is much chance we are going to find out if Torkelson can play 3rd before draft day, in which case I'd really love to see Martin rise to the top of the consensus. 

I think hitting is the most difficult thing to project - guys can look fantastic at one level at then hit a hard wall at the next. But when I see a guy that pitchers can not strike out,  I'm more optimistic about his project-ability at the next levels.