84 Lives!!!

2020 MLB Draft

We don't know what 2020 numbers will be yet, but based on 2019 slot values the number 1 pick gives the Tigers an extra 625,000 over number 2.

I’d like to see the Vandy 2B, assuming he builds on last year.  Position of need.  Like Tork, too.

So, they’ll draft the pitcher.

4 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Hmmmmmmm?  Not a single 5'11" @ 225 lbs player in that top 10 list?  Surely somebody is kidding us all.

Yeah... Did Tork get a growth spurt? I thought he met your description perfectly, just a short while ago... Like last month.

24 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’d like to see the Vandy 2B, assuming he builds on last year.  Position of need.  Like Tork, too.

So, they’ll draft the pitcher.

You can never have too much pitching.  ?

23 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Yeah... Did Tork get a growth spurt? I thought he met your description perfectly, just a short while ago... Like last month.

I thought that, too

11 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

You can never have too much pitching.  ?

true.  Kenny Baugh, Kyle Sleeth, Seth Greisinger and Jonathan Crawford all agree with you.

At some point, though, you have to start to address your deficiencies.

At this point, I'd rather have Joey Bart than Casey Mize.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think Kumar Rocker has a #1 pick name, FWIW.

He also has the name of someone who gets hyped all the way through the system and then fizzles.  

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He also has the name of someone who gets hyped all the way through the system and then fizzles.  

Like Funkhouser?

16 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Absolutely.

Kumar Rocker is a sky high ceiling, rock bottom floor name.

Maybe Paredes doesn't need to change his diet or exercise more?  Maybe he just needs to grow 4 or 5 inches taller?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Or get an even better name.

Like Casimir?

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Maybe Paredes doesn't need to change his diet or exercise more?  Maybe he just needs to grow 4 or 5 inches taller?

Somebody slip him Barry's number....

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Absolutely.

Kumar Rocker is a sky high ceiling, rock bottom floor name.

6-4, 255. Checks that box.

But a consensus already has formed, nationally, with publications and scouts agreeing an early top three for 2020 are Torkelson, a hammering first baseman from ASU; Martin, a flexible infielder with a premium bat who could also play the outfield; and Hancock, a right-handed, blow-away pitcher who is pushing 6-foot-5 and who looks at times like (A) Astros powerhouse and current free agent Gerrit Cole or (B) a guy who earlier pitched in Detroit and who last has worked for Houston named Justin Verlander.

It’s already considered to be a deep draft, the 2020 sweepstakes, with the added distinction that three players who might be easy first overall picks in any year are bunched together heading into 2020.

Three big-league scouts from teams outside of Detroit were interviewed this month, all of whom asked for anonymity because of concerns about sharing information that might be considered proprietary.

Each scout agreed Torkelson, Martin, and Hancock would be safely listed as top three picks seven months before the 2020 draft. None of the scouts felt comfortable listing the three in any kind of pecking order, although one believes Hancock is in fact a top prize if he stays healthy and shows no issues from some LAT inflammation that kept him from pitching this summer for Team USA.

Another Bregman?

Martin is different in all ways except for his prime-time skill: He is a hitter. A very good hitter. A better hitter than Torkelson, minus the power.

In his skill set, Martin’s fans see another version of Alex Bregman, the Astros superstar whose pop and prowess at third base have made him a popular pick as American League Most Valuable Player.

In fact, the two players are similar in height and weight, although Martin is probably generously listed at 6 feet.

Martin’s gift for hitting, particularly in squaring up tough pitches and driving them on a line, is so radiant that there would seem no issue with snatching him first in 2020.

But scouts aren’t sure his muscle is quite there. He hit 10 home runs last spring for Vanderbilt on the Commodores’ way to a national championship. He will get stronger, scouts say, for sure, and in fact the Bregman comparison might be bang-on.

But a first overall pick ideally has power that can break apart games and make him more of a franchise-value talent.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/11/15/who-detroit-tigers-draft-no-1-could-come-down-trio/4178857002/

On 9/26/2019 at 1:33 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think Kumar Rocker has a #1 pick name, FWIW.

He'll go in top couple of picks next year.