Jump to content
84 Lives!!!

2020 MLB Draft

Recommended Posts

Opening Night: Tork hits a bomb with a couple of walks, Martin has an RBI, and Hancock gets slapped around. U OF M wins in dramatic fashion.  Should be a fun season tracking these guys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

7 hours ago, clinker said:

Opening Night: Tork hits a bomb with a couple of walks, Martin has an RBI, and Hancock gets slapped around. U OF M wins in dramatic fashion.  Should be a fun season tracking these guys.

FWIW, Martin played 3B against UM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tork with another HR today.  In 9 plate appearances, he has 5 BB and 2 HR.  Austin Martin without a hit or walk in 2 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Tork with another HR today.  In 9 plate appearances, he has 5 BB and 2 HR.  Austin Martin without a hit or walk in 2 games.

They say it's not where you start, but where you finish - but that is a heck a leg up on finishing in a good place!

I know NCAA teams don't exist for the benefit of their players' draft success, but it would sure be nice to have seen Tork play a little 3b before draft day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

He hit a bunch in batting practice too.  

Lol, hey, they even had a link to the scrimmage home runs in the freep.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, Arizona State is playing a doubleheader tonight against UM.  Tork is hitless in 2 AB.  Time to find someone else to follow for the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

They say it's not where you start, but where you finish - but that is a heck a leg up on finishing in a good place!

I know NCAA teams don't exist for the benefit of their players' draft success, but it would sure be nice to have seen Tork play a little 3b before draft day.

Most coaches will do what they can to help the high level prospect when possible (it helps the program in recruiting to have a guy go 1 or in the first one). 

So when ASU gets to some cake walk games here, it wouldn't shock me if the stick Tork at third for a game or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Apparently, Arizona State is playing a doubleheader tonight against UM.  Tork is hitless in 2 AB.  Time to find someone else to follow for the draft.

0-2, lead off walk in the 6th, did not advance. The  scoreboard says UM is playing the DP in two different venues--the first game was in Scotsdale, the late game in Tempe. Not far - but kinda weird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't recall hearing the theory that Torkelson could possibly move to 3B.  Has he played any 3B at Arizona State?  Tough to find defensive stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't recall hearing the theory that Torkelson could possibly move to 3B.  Has he played any 3B at Arizona State?  Tough to find defensive stats.

You might here some of that talk, but I wouldn't characterize it as anything substantive. There's a slim -- very slim -- chance he can capably play an outfield corner, but in reality he's a first baseman through and through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

You might here some of that talk, but I wouldn't characterize it as anything substantive. There's a slim -- very slim -- chance he can capably play an outfield corner, but in reality he's a first baseman through and through.

Thanks.

I question the becoming a corner OF as well.  How often does a right handed thrower move from 1B to OF?  It would seem to me that if a RH thrower had the defensive chops for it, he'd be in OF before 1B.  Same as being at 3B before 1B.  Maybe ASU has all world defensive athletes already at 3B, LF, and RF, but I guess I kind of doubt that.

But then you throw in a large outfield like in Detroit.  And now it seems to be more of a stretch that, if a kid can't lay OF in college, he'd be fine for 81 games in Detroit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Maybe ASU has all world defensive athletes already at 3B, LF, and RF, but I guess I kind of doubt that.

supposedly they do have an extraordinarily strong defensive team. Their 3b - Gage Workman, is rated as good enough with the glove to play middle IF. He made three errors on the season last year. BA says Torkelson played OF in his CapeCod league games last year. The BA story is almost a PR piece but FWIW this is the excerpt:

Quote

But he’s working to improve that aspect [defense] of his game as well. He spent the summer playing the outfield on the Cape, and while he’s back at first base this spring, he should have enough athleticism to handle an outfield corner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Casimir said:

Thanks.

I question the becoming a corner OF as well.  How often does a right handed thrower move from 1B to OF?  It would seem to me that if a RH thrower had the defensive chops for it, he'd be in OF before 1B.  Same as being at 3B before 1B.  Maybe ASU has all world defensive athletes already at 3B, LF, and RF, but I guess I kind of doubt that.

But then you throw in a large outfield like in Detroit.  And now it seems to be more of a stretch that, if a kid can't lay OF in college, he'd be fine for 81 games in Detroit.

If Tork is capable of .320+, .400+ OBP, and 45 dingers per year, and can field a competent 1st Base; I have no issues whatsoever drafting him to be our future 1st baseman for the next 10-15 years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Torkelson reminds of Bob Horner...college power bat, defense not his calling card.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

If Tork is capable of .320+, .400+ OBP, and 45 dingers per year, and can field a competent 1st Base; I have no issues whatsoever drafting him to be our future 1st baseman for the next 10-15 years...

if Tork can do that, he'll be in the Hall of Fame.  You might want to temper your expectations a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Torkelson reminds of Bob Horner...college power bat, defense not his calling card.

There is a name from the past. Had he stayed healthy and the owners not colluded he may have put up some huge numbers. I recall his rookie season - his rookie card was all the rage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

if Tork can do that, he'll be in the Hall of Fame.  You might want to temper your expectations a bit.

It's less expectations and more making a point.

If the guy can rake big-time... his positional value deficiency methinks will be overlooked some. And if he's a competent 1st baseman (unlike Casty at 3B...), it won't be looked at as a detraction.

The biggest decision will be: take Austin Martin for athleticism (including defense/ positional power) and bat (but most likely not the power of Tork), or, is Tork's bat so lethal that it offsets Martin's advantage in other areas...?

That's the point I was basically making (in much less words...). I don't expect him to put up the #'s I was throwing out there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...