84 Lives!!!

2020 MLB Draft

Early but...

I think we just pulled ahead of the Orioles for the #1 pick next year...

#TankforCaseyMartin

Sign Martin to below slot deal.  

It's getting really easy to imagine that we actually will be picking #1 in June. 

Just a terrible, terrible offensive team. 

The pitching is a mess as well.

Both are going to get worse from here, after the trade deadline. 

Baltimore doesn't have much more to trade away. 

Supposed to be a very strong crop of college guys. A pitcher on Georgia and a first baseman with power are projected at the top right now. Would be nice to see Det get a near-mlb-ready power bat

The tinstaap is Emerson Hancock, and the tinsaarh1bp is Spencer Torkleson from Arizona State.

9 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I think we just pulled ahead of the Orioles for the #1 pick next year...

Patience, .....

image.png.0c4b050d32e0666570d089e5f070d84f.png

Once Norris and Turnbull hit their inning limits, they will get replaced by Tyler Alexander and Matt Hall.

Hard to see how the Tigers don't easily capture their 2nd title in the last 3 years.

8 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Once Norris and Turnbull hit their inning limits, they will get replaced by Tyler Alexander and Matt Hall.

Hard to see how the Tigers don't easily capture their 2nd title in the last 3 years.

The September call ups might make the rotation look like Zimmermann, Boyd, and several 45 pitch openers.

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Yeah - hard to imaging how ugly it could get without Norris, Turnbull or Boyd.

Austin Martin, SS(?)/3b/2b

Avila and staff would soil themselves if they get a chance to draft a Vanderbilt player.

FG:

TLDR

Vandy's leadoff hitter has an advanced approach, gap power, big production and hands for the infield.

Full Report

If anyone ascended toward the top of the draft class late during the 2019 spring, it was Martin, who was electric during the postseason. He already had two traits we think, together, make for a strong profile in that Martin plays a premium position (and is capable of playing several spots) and has a plus feel for the strike zone. He started hitting for power later in the season, something his selectivity gives him an excellent chance of doing in pro ball because he'll only swing at pitches he can drive. He doesn't have huge physical tools, but Martin had more walks that strikeouts as an SEC sophomore and is an opportunistic base stealer. Were he at a lesser school he might be flying under the radar. Offensively, he's a little ahead of Dansby Swanson, another former Commodore middle infielder who went #1 overall, at the same stage, but the athleticism/defense is a good bit behind.

That profile write-up makes me think more Casey Martin than Austin Martin... I'm trying to find where there were FV rankings and it looked like Casey had as high a Hit Tool and Power tool, but with more athleticism.

I'm keying on Hit/Power, more than other attributes; but I wouldn't want to ignore the others either. IE: I like Torkelson's high Hit/Power... but there's a case to be made for Casey Martin or someone else based on other tools...

It might even have been Cruzer that posted that somewhere's in MTS... I'll find it... I remember Casey, Tork & Hancock at FV 50, everyone else at 45... subject to changing over the next year of course...

Barring some sorta miracle like Cabrera returning to his prime form I just don't see anyway we don't end up win the number 1 pick. 

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Barring some sorta miracle like Cabrera returning to his prime form I just don't see anyway we don't end up win the number 1 pick. 

They may have to bench Mr. Harold Castro, he's preparing to put this team on his back.

We still have that extra loss waiting to happen against Oakland too, right?

We're #1, we're #1.

I don't see how we won't repeat again next year, too.

7 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Austin Martin, SS(?)/3b/2b

Avila and staff would soil themselves if they get a chance to draft a Vanderbilt player.

FG:

TLDR

Vandy's leadoff hitter has an advanced approach, gap power, big production and hands for the infield.

Full Report

If anyone ascended toward the top of the draft class late during the 2019 spring, it was Martin, who was electric during the postseason. He already had two traits we think, together, make for a strong profile in that Martin plays a premium position (and is capable of playing several spots) and has a plus feel for the strike zone. He started hitting for power later in the season, something his selectivity gives him an excellent chance of doing in pro ball because he'll only swing at pitches he can drive. He doesn't have huge physical tools, but Martin had more walks that strikeouts as an SEC sophomore and is an opportunistic base stealer. Were he at a lesser school he might be flying under the radar. Offensively, he's a little ahead of Dansby Swanson, another former Commodore middle infielder who went #1 overall, at the same stage, but the athleticism/defense is a good bit behind.

I see Austin Martin as more of a 2b.  I see Casey Martin as a pure SS.  Both are studs.  I like Austin Martin better offensively now, but imo, Casey Martin is a better athlete, and has pop.  Close call.

Zimmerman stays healthy, Ryan Carpenter needs to stay in the rotation.  Thankfully the Tigers have no other options at 3rd other than Candelaria and Lugo.  There are no catchers in the entire minor league system that can hit their weight.  Cabrera can keep hitting Texas Leaguers and clog up the base paths.  Castellanos can keep striking out 2 or 3 times a game.  The bullpen can keep pitching up to their potential.  I am sure Boyd and Greene will be traded away for some non-prospect minor league players.  Daniel Norris looks like he can continue to give up 5 or 6 runs a start.

On the down side, Jacoby Jones looks like he actually is developing into a competent MLB hitter.  Harold Castro doesn't get it either.

The Royals are suddenly looking uncatchable atm.

I guess the real question is how many of these players would even make most other MLB team's rosters.

Os win, they are 33-69

Tigers are 30-68*

*the loss the As is not in the books, so they are 1.5 games ahead of the Os

a September rotation of JZ-Alexander-Hall-EJax-Soto should lock it down easily

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The Tigers are going to tank.

Book it.

No matter if you consider it intentional or inadvertent Mr. Al Avila is proving to be the master of the tank. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The Tigers are going to tank...

Tank?

I don't see it.

Personally, it looks to me like they are going to submarine this season...