Jump to content

Deleterious

2019 Michigan Football

Recommended Posts


With 15 losses in 16 years, you can't consider this a great rivalry anymore, IMO. It's on the way to becoming Army-Navy as far as national importance.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is Ohio State's schedule this year:

Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati, Indiana, Miami of Ohio, Nebraska, Michigan State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, and Michigan. 

I don't see too many nationally prominent programs there. Which is why I chuckle every time I hear a national announcing crew just giddy over how they are the best team in the country. They haven't played anybody to earn that. Look at the power teams LSU has had to play. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stanpapi said:

Here is Ohio State's schedule this year:

Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati, Indiana, Miami of Ohio, Nebraska, Michigan State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, and Michigan. 

I don't see too many nationally prominent programs there. Which is why I chuckle every time I hear a national announcing crew just giddy over how they are the best team in the country. They haven't played anybody to earn that. Look at the power teams LSU has had to play. 

Hey, they just played Michigan with the great Jim Harbaugh at the helm and the great Don Brown running the defense.  It doesn't get any more challenging than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Here is Ohio State's schedule this year:

Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati, Indiana, Miami of Ohio, Nebraska, Michigan State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, and Michigan. 

I don't see too many nationally prominent programs there. Which is why I chuckle every time I hear a national announcing crew just giddy over how they are the best team in the country. They haven't played anybody to earn that. Look at the power teams LSU has had to play. 

Wisconsin, Penn St., and Cincinnati were all ranked this week.  

Ohio St outscored them 108 - 24
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Wisconsin, Penn St., and Cincinnati were all ranked this week.  

Ohio St outscored them 108 - 24
 

 

They were all ranked. Doesn't make them nationally significant. Alot of teams are ranked. Look at who LSU has had to go through to get to this point, and next week they have to play Georgia in their championship game. That's a far different matchup than what OSU will draw in the big 10 championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have gained national prominence if you are ranked in the poll in week 14 of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

You have gained national prominence if you are ranked in the poll in week 14 of the season.

I mean, you can't look at the schedule of OSU and the schedules that LSU and others in the SEC play and seriously suggest it's the same quality of opponent. There were four complete gimmes on OSU's schedule and a very soft big 10 slate. They have good athletes but to suggest they are the best team in the country playing such a candy schedule is jumping the gun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

"Those who stay will be 9-3" - Jim Harbaugh

I thought it was "How bad does a guy have to lose to Ohio State to get fired around here?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing Don Brown still has a job. OTOH anyone looking to see Harbaugh fired is going to be disappointed. Just read an MLive story that UM football is bringing in more money that ever. Harbaugh may not win them all but he has been great for the marketing of the brand and nobody in the Fleming building is going to have any concern about Harbaugh until he either gets caught cheating or the losing finally begins to affects the bottom line.

My only game comment is that not punting deep in their own territory after closing the score to 2 possessions with over 12min left after having stopped OSU on a 3 and out was one of the most daylight madness head coaching decisions I have ever seen. No matter what else your opinion on Harbaugh's coaching, he is a total idiot when it comes to choosing when to gamble. He constantly over risks at critical times and doesn't seem to learn no matter how many times he gets burned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem with that play was running the wildcat. That was such a bad play call. Just tell the d we are running and we get stuffed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stanpapi said:

I mean, you can't look at the schedule of OSU and the schedules that LSU and others in the SEC play and seriously suggest it's the same quality of opponent. There were four complete gimmes on OSU's schedule and a very soft big 10 slate. They have good athletes but to suggest they are the best team in the country playing such a candy schedule is jumping the gun. 

Georgia Southern, Northwestern State, Utah State in non-conf. 8-loss Ole Miss. 9-loss Vanderbilt. 10-loss Arkansas. Half of LSU's schedule are joke games.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Georgia Southern, Northwestern State, Utah State in non-conf. 8-loss Ole Miss. 9-loss Vanderbilt. 10-loss Arkansas. Half of LSU's schedule are joke games.

 

 

Yet they will flatten OSU head to head. As will Clemson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aaron said:

My problem with that play was running the wildcat. That was such a bad play call. Just tell the d we are running and we get stuffed. 

I didn't have a problem with going for it at that point because the defense completely sucked. But you are right. The wildcat, in this offense, has no unpredictability to it. It's going to be Haskins up the middle, with no variation whatsoever. Big deal if you get an extra blocker against the D if they know exactly what you're doing. They will just pile more into the middle of the line and stop you anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I had to look Fickell up. Looks like hes an Ohio State guy through an through. I dunno what UofM board would think about that....

Who cares what the U of M Board of Regents or Boosters think of Fickell. If he comes in and wins games, including Big Ten title games and makes the CFB playoffs, that's all that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Who cares what the U of M Board of Regents or Boosters think of Fickell. If he comes in and wins games, including Big Ten title games and makes the CFB playoffs, that's all that matters.

So far when the admin looks at Harbaugh they still see dollar $ign$. They are probably not as unhappy as you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I recognize that Michigan is very much a flawed football team, I have to chuckle that Notre Dame is ranked 14 in both polls after this weekend while Michigan is at 17 and 18 in the respective polls. That's a joke based on Notre Dame's schedule. Literally the only decent teams they played were Virginia, Georgia, USC and Michigan. And they lost 2 of those 4 games- to Georgia, and most notably, getting absolutely slaughtered by U of M. They barely survived against USC and Virginia Tech. It is ridiculous that they are ranked that high. While I agree Michigan is not a top 10 team, They sure as **** don't deserve to be ranked lower than a team they crushed head to head late in the season...or, for that matter, Minnesota, boise state or Memphis. Minnesota and Memphis are ranked higher than Michigan in both polls, while Boise State is higher in one of the polls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

So far when the admin looks at Harbaugh they still see dollar $ign$. They are probably not as unhappy as you are.

When John Cooper and Ohio couldn't be Michigan they fired Cooper. It is pretty obvious that Ohio cares more about winning and more about the rivalry than we do if that is the mentality inside Schembechler Hall. Warde Manuel, were he a real AD and not simply a puppet for the boosters, would be announcing a press conference for later today letting the media and fans know that losing to Ohio is unacceptable and that the University has begun the process of looking for a new Head Football Coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When John Cooper and Ohio couldn't be Michigan they fired Cooper. It is pretty obvious that Ohio cares more about winning and more about the rivalry than we do if that is the mentality inside Schembechler Hall. Warde Manuel, were he a real AD and not simply a puppet for the boosters, would be announcing a press conference for later today letting the media and fans know that losing to Ohio is unacceptable and that the University has begun the process of looking for a new Head Football Coach.

This is not a good take. 
 

John Cooper coached Ohio state for 12 years, and in his final two years was 6-6 and 8-4. And he lost to Michigan in 93, 95, 96, and 97 when ranked as a top 5 team, and only in 97 was Michigan ranked higher in those games. To the extent he was fired for not being able to beat Michigan, you have to take into account the number of times he lost to a Michigan team that was a clear tier below them. 
 

These losses to OSU under Harbaugh are lacking the same context. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also is a fair question / observation that universities may have other considerations than win/loss record, independent of how the fan base may feel about that.

It is a little different than say a professional sports franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It also is a fair question / observation that universities may have other considerations than win/loss record, independent of how the fan base may feel about that.

It is a little different than say a professional sports franchise.

Sure, but I also think that aspect is overblown. Jim Harbaugh is a very good football coach, and being 0-5 against an elite program like OSU doesn’t change that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...