Jump to content

Deleterious

2019 Michigan Football

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Dantonio remains one of the finest head coaches in all of college football. MSU would be hard pressed to find a replacement of his caliber. State would be foolish to remove him IMO. 

I'm not an MSU fan but Dantonio certainly seems head and shoulders above any coach MSU has had since Daugherty other than Saban's brief tenure.  Still, it's a very hard sell to say to the alum "Our coach is doing the best anyone could at our University" when your team has won more in the recent past than it is winning now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

Dantonio remains one of the finest head coaches in all of college football. MSU would be hard pressed to find a replacement of his caliber. State would be foolish to remove him IMO. 
 

The issues facing Dantonio is other teams have caught up and adapted to him and his techniques.  He can’t play the “disrespect” anymore. 

talent.  they dont have enough of it.

and there isnt much in the pipeline.  college football is as much about recruiting as it is about anything else.

msu had a highly ranked class in 2016 and there is almost nothing left of it.  since then theyve cratered, and this year looks like the worst of the lot.

he's 63 now.  probably time to hang it up.

that said, as a michigan fan, i really hope he continues to hang on because that will do nothing for the program in the short term.  i would be much more afraid of an msu with a young innovative and energetic head coach rather than an old man set in his ways who doesnt have his fastball anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'm not an MSU fan but Dantonio certainly seems head and shoulders above any coach MSU has had since Daugherty other than Saban's brief tenure.  Still, it's a very hard sell to say to the alum "Our coach is doing the best anyone could at our University" when your team has won more in the recent past than it is winning now.

any other coach would have been fired after the glenn winston incident.  or the repeated sexual assault incidents.  or the sexting incident.  or the...you get the point.

dantonio is lucky he got to msu when michigan was down cause all msu cares about is beating michigan.  because he's done that - and because no one cares about msu nationally - he's avoided any scrutiny over his program's lack of discipline until the nasser stuff focused everyone on what a rotten ship that whole athletic department has been for a decade plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Buddha said:

 focused everyone on what a rotten ship that whole athletic department has been for a decade plus.

It's a broader topic than just sports and so off topic but I will just point out that MSU has had a long history of poor performance by it's board of Trustees, which ultimately comes back to the voters I suppose. Part of the problem for MSU is being in Lansing, which creates too much attraction for old state government apparatchiks to be run for Trustee posts as part of party patronage, plus the MSU voting base has been all too happy to elect those types plus over the hill sports guys (like Perles). That lack of management direction percolates down through the institution. UM has in general had better luck with the quality of the Regents over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MIchigan 39 Indiana 14, five TD passes for Patterson. If Fields had been as injured as it looked he might have been on that late game play, Michigan would have had a reasonable shot vs OSU next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patterson looks like he's added 10 mph to his fastball since PSU.  The D is going to give up too many points though - just keep throwing at Hill and collecting PI's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect nothing but Harbaugh and Co. getting run off the field, so anything less will exceed my expectations. 48-17 or some blowout to that effect seems right. Even after Notre Dame,  I have zero confidence in this guy to get it done in a meaningful, big game situation.

If Harbaugh does get blown out then Warde Manuel should leave him in the tunnel and get on the phone with PJ Fleck or Luke Fickell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The line is OSU -9.  That seems like free money.

You're taking Michigan and the points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You're taking Michigan and the points?

Good god no.  OSU by 2 TD's.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s possible that November Michigan is substantially better than September Michigan. 
 

I don’t expect them to win, but I don’t think their chances are as poor as you guys suggest. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Good god no.  OSU by 2 TD's.  

Oh ok, that makes sense. I was beginning to worry, who would take Harbaugh in this situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The line is OSU -9.  That seems like free money.

Extremely easy money.  OSU will win by 20+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

It’s possible that November Michigan is substantially better than September Michigan. 
 

I don’t expect them to win, but I don’t think their chances are as poor as you guys suggest. 

Around the time of the Army game I was thinking OSU by 21.  So you're right, they have improved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Around the time of the Army game I was thinking OSU by 21.  So you're right, they have improved.

That’s funny. You should publish your Deleterious Feelings rankings every week so we can keep track. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Oh ok, that makes sense. I was beginning to worry, who would take Harbaugh in this situation.

What does “in this situation” mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

What does “in this situation” mean?

Big game, against Ohio State. If a game is perceived to be a big game and certainly if said game is against Ohio, I wouldn't place my money on Harbaugh to get the job done, even if given the points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

What does “in this situation” mean?

Are you suggesting Michigan has a realistic chance of beating OSU?  I truly wish we could, but UM football culture lacks the mental toughness, mindset, and talent to keep up with OSU.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Big game, against Ohio State. If a game is perceived to be a big game and certainly if said game is against Ohio, I wouldn't place my money on Harbaugh to get the job done.

What’s your metric for what qualifies as a big game? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shelton said:

What’s your metric for what qualifies as a big game? 

 

I think there are several things that qualify. I would say facing a ranked opponent, more specifically a top 10-15 opponent, a bowl game, a game in which Michigan has a shot at the Big Ten Championship on the line (i.e. choking it away against Iowa), or any game against Ohio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Are you suggesting Michigan has a realistic chance of beating OSU?  I truly wish we could, but UM football culture lacks the mental toughness, mindset, and talent to keep up with OSU.  

I don’t believe anyone can say this with any degree of authority. 
 

Anyway, sure, I think they have a realistic chance of winning this weekend. They are a legitimate top 10-12 team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think there are several things that qualify. I would say facing a ranked opponent, more specifically a top 10-15 opponent, a bowl game, a game in which Michigan has a shot at the Big Ten Championship on the line (i.e. choking it away against Iowa), or any game against Ohio.

I would agree that games against Ohio State qualify as big games. It’s definitely suboptimal that they have lost that game year after year. 

But it also feels like the narrative tends to shift for this definition depending on whether or not Michigan won/lost. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t believe anyone can say this with any degree of authority. 
 

Anyway, sure, I think they have a realistic chance of winning this weekend. They are a legitimate top 10-12 team. 

I'm far from any kind of authority figure when it comes to college football.  Yet I find my analysis regarding UM/OSU to be fairly accurate, and have the upmost confidence we will be creamed by OSU on Saturday.  If Harbaugh is able to finally match up with OSU and beat them, I'll reconsider my previous analysis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...