Keepleyland2

7/17 @7:10 Detroit Tigers vs Cleveland Indians

Tigers are 0/10 with RISP this series. 

And Cabrera looks like he has officially checked out.  I never would have expected him to play as many games with so few home runs and RBI.  His double tonight was rubbish, it should have been caught and should have been an error

Edit.  Tigers are now 1/11 and they have scored a run for Turnbull

6 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

And Cabrera looks like he has officially checked out.  I never would have expected him to play as many games with so few home runs and RBI.  His double tonight was rubbish, it should have been caught and should have been an error

we're rolling now baby!!

We should appeal to the commissioner to allow us to count hits as runs. Make it more fun.

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

It’s interesting how the game thread often dies down once the game begins. Mysterious. 

I had a ceiling to paint.

....really.

12 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Jack Willock's batting helmet is spectacular.

I used to get soft-serve in hats like that.

I don’t care who you are that’s funny right there.  I read that 20 minutes ago and I’m still laughing.

24 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

this is what I was afraid of with him moving to DH. He has so many problems this may or may not be one of them, but maybe he doesn't have  the mentality to prep between innings while the team is in the field. Does anyone know if he is doing anything to stay loose when the Tigers are in the field or does he just sit there and jaw at the HP umpire?

Fundamentals 101 cost the Tigers again.  And I can’t remember the last time the Tigers bunted, or even tried to beat the shift by going the other way. 

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Maybe it's Gardenhire that has checked too.

It’s nice to make grand assumptions on the basis of what someone looks like on television, but in the dugout last night he didn’t look like he had an ounce of fire in him.  He didn’t “look like himself.” I don’t blame him.  This is a level of punishment that few managers or teams have experienced.  

5 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

It’s nice to make grand assumptions on the basis of what someone looks like on television, but in the dugout last night he didn’t look like he had an ounce of fire in him.  He didn’t “look like himself.” I don’t blame him.  This is a level of punishment that few managers or teams have experienced.  

I actually haven't watched but one game in the last week, I've been listening primarily, so I'm not commenting on his comportment as much a the fact the Tigers are not playing much like a Gardenhire team. It's one thing to fail, but this team isn't even pushing back with any energy. Yeah - 80 maybe 90% of the issue is the quality of the players, but attitude and approach may be marginal effects, but they are effects you can control and so should.

How many times is a Tiger pitcher going to give up a HR going down and in with an off speed pitch against a LH hitter before they start trying something else.

The Tigers should be embarrassed by their performances against the Tribe.  They have been flat out dominated by then 

after tonight they will be 1-11 this year

last year they were:  6-13

In 2017 they were 6-13

in 2016 they were 4-15

That makes it 17 and 52, plus they lost the last 4 in 2015, so the Tribe would be 56-17 against the Tigers, for a 76.7% winning percentage

that is total domination 

We all know that if the Rays get Joe he will be a stud reliever., but here in Detroit he struggles to get key outs. 

Joe Jimenez is pitching the Tigers out of a good return for him. :( 

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

How many times is a Tiger pitcher going to give up a HR going down and in with an off speed pitch against a LH hitter before they start trying something else.

This is a problem unique to tigers pitchers. 

Joe Jimenez and the rest of the Detroit Tigers are doing the very best they can. 

Unfortunately, ..they just are not very good.

6 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

We all know that if the Rays get Joe he will be a stud reliever., but here in Detroit he struggles to get key outs. 

so here is something notable in Jimenez's data:

https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=15761&position=P&pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2017&end=2019&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

Note how for two years in a row he has come out of spring training, his FB velo built very nicely as the weather warmed then started to fade away mid-summer? He's only managing 94 on this FB today. JJ pitching well is a 97-98 mph on his best FB. This may be why he is getting hammered.

Last yr his K/BB ratio cratered in July and August along with his velo, though it didn't show so much in his game results.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so here is something notable in Jimenez's data:

https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=15761&position=P&pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2017&end=2019&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

Note how for two years in a row he has come out of spring training, he FB velo built very nicely but then started to crater by mid-summer? He's only managing 94 on this FB today. That is probably why his breaking ball is getting hammered.

Do you think he's working out with Miggy?