Tigers at Indians

Game 90

29-60

Remember him?

61oE33bl1nL._SX425_.jpg
Eddie Williams

Years with Detroit: 1996

Tigers highlights: 26 RBI

You may remember him from: Cleveland Indians, San Diego Padres, being taken 15 picks ahead of Roger Clemens in the 1983 draft

Baseball Reference Link and Stats:

Eddie.jpg

Ryan Carpenter vs Zach Plesac

For a couple innings there I thought we were gonna have a winning streak

9 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Tigers at Indians

Game 90

29-60

Remember him?

Eddie Williams

Years with Detroit: 1996

Tigers highlights: 26 RBI

You may remember him from: Cleveland Indians, San Diego Padres, being taken 15 picks ahead of Roger Clemens in the 1983 draft

Baseball Reference Link and Stats:

Eddie.jpg

His career looks like something from the WWII era - 10 years with MLB appearances around a 3 year gap.

5 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

His career looks like something from the WWII era - 10 years with MLB appearances around a 3 year gap.

He's also got a -1.1 career War despite a 10 year career

The Tigers are 7-28 since June for a .200 PCT. 

Depending upon who is gone by the end of the month, this pattern could worsen. 

If they they maintain this rate they end at 43-119.

Let’s say they get only a little worse and go .180.  Then they end up at 41-121. 

This is a staggering feat. We are witnesses to a failure of historic dimension.  And we have company. 

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

The Tigers are 7-28 since June for a .200 PCT. 

Depending upon who is gone by the end of the month, this pattern could worsen. 

If they they maintain this rate they end at 43-119.

Let’s say they get only a little worse and go .180.  Then they end up at 41-121. 

This is a staggering feat. We are witnesses to a failure of historic dimension.  And we have company. 

We have each other.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It could get better.

I doubt it can get any worse. 

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

We have each other.

I love you, Cas.  Not as much as Liston or Bert (that'd be crazy talk) but certainly more than The Strategy Expert.

Trust me, this team can’t get any worse. 

44 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It can always get worse.

We could be playing Eddie Williams.

Or Austin Jackson.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

I doubt it can get any worse. 

This may be true. Few major-league teams have ever been this bad for this long. You can only go so low. Other teams are bound to have bad days just often enough, or you simply get lucky.  

It’s like ham and eggs appearing on your plate magically. Buttered toast falls from the sky, small rain clouds bearing orange juice empty their contents into a crystal glass, and the hottest waitress on earth writes their phone number on your check and slips it to you with a wink. 

Sometimes you actually even do things right and deserve to win.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't believe you.

By trading Boyd and Greene the moments where they do things right and deserve to win will probably be less frequent.They may have fewer leads and will toss games away at the last minute with an ineffective closer. 

The Tigers should target some veteran pitchers who don't strike anyone out and middle infielders with speed but zero hitting ability 

What reason do any of us have to tune in? I can’t remember ever feeling so awful about baseball. I was a child throughout the 90s and knew we were bad, but this is horrendous. 

I want ONE sliver of hope. Just one.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

and bunt more.

By bunting more are you talking about actually having a runner on first (optimist!) and trying to get them to second and into scoring position where they will be stranded, or are you talking about simplifying things and bunting to get to first so you can be stranded there

12 minutes ago, thefunk said:

What reason do any of us have to tune in? I can’t remember ever feeling so awful about baseball. I was a child throughout the 90s and knew we were bad, but this is horrendous. 

I want ONE sliver of hope. Just one.

I feel bad for all of you who missed out on 1968 in 1984. I can always go back and savor those moments. It’s like a magic talisman I can carry everywhere I go. This period in the team’s history really sucks. 

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I feel bad for all of you who missed out on 1968 in 1984. I can always go back and savor those moments. It’s like a magic talisman I can carry everywhere I go. This period in the team’s history really sucks. 

Yeah but I’ll tell you, the runs made in ‘06, ‘09, ‘11, ‘12, ‘13 were so incredibly fun. Filled with amazing wins, individual performances and wild endings. Huge trades, big, big games in August-Oct.  I feel as satisfied as possible without a WS win.

What stings is how close we still are to those memories.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Don't forget '75!