Tigrrfan

When did the 'Rebuild' actually begin? ..What do you think?

3 hours ago, six-hopper said:

You're wrong about the importance of fixing the exact date on which the rebuild began.  The uncertainty about it is keeping me up at night.  It's at the very top of my list of concerns about the state of the world, ahead of even the crucial questions of who will win this year's Women's World Cup in soccer and how many Al Avilas can dance on the head of a pin.

Surely, ..you are well on your way toward being officially recognized as the 9th natural wonder of the world.

1 hour ago, socaltiger said:

I remain hopeful that at some point pride will get Miggy into the gym and out of the kitchen. he has some very attainable personal milestones that should be of interest to him. I think he can still hit and have gap power even on one leg if motivated. Perhaps if the team was more competitive he would be also. Or maybe his personal life, which we all don't care about , might be weighing very heavily on him in manner we just don't know.

He was sooo bloody good.....

Maybe his pride and the Tigers stinking so bad will help him decide to retire? He should have enough money to support all of his kids for the rest of their lives. If not, put him in the booth with Shep....lmao

I'd bet that once Miggy retires, that'll be the last any of us will see or hear of him. He's pretty absent from the public eye outside of baseball.

Do you guys think that if Juan Gonzales signed that big extension he was offered, the Tigers would have ever wound up contending?   Think about it, we could be going on about 32 years of no playoffs.

I'm not sure what the butterfly effect of signing Juan Gonzalez might have been, but I hated that trade from the moment I heard it. It was such a seismic thing that I remember exactly where I was when I did. Sure glad he didn't sign on for that, what, 8/140?

I think the right butterfly effect started when Pudge signed, which led to Maggs signing, which laid the groundwork for the sweet surprise of 2006. (Although there were a few clunkers then, too. Fernando Vina? Jason Johnson? Ugeth Urbina? Troy Percival? Yikes!)

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm not sure what the butterfly effect of signing Juan Gonzalez might have been, but I hated that trade from the moment I heard it. It was such a seismic thing that I remember exactly where I was when I did. Sure glad he didn't sign on for that, what, 8/140?

I think the right butterfly effect started when Pudge signed, which led to Maggs signing, which laid the groundwork for the sweet surprise of 2006. (Although there were a few clunkers then, too. Fernando Vina? Jason Johnson? Ugeth Urbina? Troy Percival? Yikes!)

The talking point at the time was it all started with Vina.... remember that?

18 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Some players aren't interested in personal milestones.

Miggy doesn't strike me as a milestone guy.  He looks to be coasting until his contract runs out.  Maybe if the Tigers become competitive towards the end of Miggy's career he'll pick things up.

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you guys think that if Juan Gonzales signed that big extension he was offered, the Tigers would have ever wound up contending?   Think about it, we could be going on about 32 years of no playoffs.

Do you believe that Miguel Cabrera's extension will prolong the Tigers' current rebuild? 

Especially if they skimp on the process along the way.

I don’t think the money owed to Cabrera will have any effect on the rebuild. 

26 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I tend to agree with that. So I don't think if Juan Gonzalez would have signed that contract it would have affected the 2006 team that much either.  

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Miggy doesn't strike me as a milestone guy.  

You may indeed be on to something there.

One thing that we US-born Americans sometimes forget is that our basic values may differ from the basic values of people born and raised outside the US. 

Perhaps Miggy is 100% totally content with being ranked as arguably the best Venezulan born MLB player of all time (thus far.)  Perhaps the 'American' milestones have a much lower priority for Miggy than other things he may be doing with his own life.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Agree.   I'd guess that most knew it was a sunk cost the minute he signed the deal.

God created the heavens and the earth in six days. On the seventh day God rested. The rebuild began the following day.

Talking to a dude who is plugged in a bit to Detroit business.  He says that nobody in the Illitch family makes a decision without Marian and Marian can't make a decision after 10am because of the fire water.   Chris Illitch is basically hamstrung by the Hunger Games family squabbles.   They would never sell to Gilbert and Gilbert just had a stroke anyway.  I had forgotten that part.

7 hours ago, Shelton said:

Depends on what you mean by the rebuild. If you want to say the day they decide they have rebuilt enough to start signing FAs is where the rebuild part is over, then I agree that up to that point Cabrera's cost doesn't matter. Drafting and developing players isn't where the budget gets strained. But if you count the whole process through when the team starts sign players to win, and you are still paying 30 million to a bad player you could be spending on one or more good players, that can't help but be a drag on how soon you can put the best possible team on the field. If that second part doesn't happen till after the end of '23, then it completely doesn't matter either of course. 

37 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Depends on what you mean by the rebuild. If you want to say the day they decide they have rebuilt enough to start signing FAs is where the rebuild part is over, then I agree that up to that point Cabrera's cost doesn't matter. Drafting and developing players isn't where the budget gets strained. But if you count the whole process through when the team starts sign players to win, and you are still paying 30 million to a bad player you could be spending on one or more good players, that can't help but be a drag on how soon you can put the best possible team on the field. If that second part doesn't happen till after the end of '23, then it completely doesn't matter either of course. 

I just don’t think payroll is a zero sum game, at least when it is as low as it is going to be over the next four years. The tigers will be so far below budget beginning in 2021 that I don’t think his salary is going to prevent any other moves. 

One article I read today that was dated (written) just a few days after Price, Cespedes, and Soria were traded July 2015 referred to those trades as a ''re-balancing'' instead of a reboot. 

Indeed, they traded 3 very expensive players who were going FA anyway ..and added 3 highly regarded young pitching prospects in Fulmer, Norris, and Boyd ..and also added Jacoby Jones.

The true mistake was when Mr I fired DD just 5 days after those trades and allowed AA to keep Brad Ausmus.

29 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

One article I read today that was dated (written) just a few days after Price, Cespedes, and Soria were traded July 2015 referred to those trades as a ''re-balancing'' instead of a reboot. 

Indeed, they traded 3 very expensive players who were going FA anyway ..and added 3 highly regarded young pitching prospects in Fulmer, Norris, and Boyd ..and also added Jacoby Jones.

The true mistake was when Mr I fired DD just 5 days after those trades and allowed AA to keep Brad Ausmus.

The true mistake was hiring Ausmus in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Should'of hired Gadenhire

Should have retired Smokes a year earlier and hired Tito.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Should'of hired Gadenhire

Gardy was managing the Twins to their 4th straight losing season when the Tigers hired Ausmus.  

17 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Gardy was managing the Twins to their 4th straight losing season when the Tigers hired Ausmus.  

We could have traded them Miggy for him.