Keepleyland2

7/14 @2:15 Detroit Tigers at Kansas City Royals

24 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

"I haven't stole many belts."

Also Craig  Monroe.

I don't see how the Tigers can make a big deal out of Monroe's wardrobe. Doesn't management need to say to him, "Hey, we gave you a job here despite your weird checkered past, involving stealing clothes. Maybe you should not make clothing your calling card."

1 minute ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I don't see how the Tigers can make a big deal out of Monroe's wardrobe. Doesn't management need to say to him, "Hey, we gave you a job here despite your weird checkered past, involving stealing clothes. Maybe you should not make clothing your calling card."

Maybe his contract requires him to show the receipts.

7 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Still better than when IPBC hired Delmon Young

10 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Still better than when IBPC hired Delmon Young

With so many people in the world who (a) can speak English, (b) are listenable, (c) know something about sports, and (d) do not have histories that make them easy butts of jokes, how do so many  of these clods, clowns, and criminals have these highly coveted jobs?  Our town's baseball team alone has Jim Price, Craig Monroe, Jack Morris, and Johnny Kane, and until recently had Rod Allen and "thee" Master of Broadcasting Disaster  Mario Impemba.

Hey, Craig.  Did you pay for those tattoos?

1 minute ago, six-hopper said:

With so many people in the world who (a) can speak English, (b) are listenable, (c) know something about sports, and (d) do not have histories that make them easy butts of jokes, how do so many  of these clods, clowns, and criminals have these highly coveted jobs?  Our town's baseball team alone has Jim Price, Craig Monroe, Jack Morris, and Johnny Kane, and until recently had Rod Allen and "thee" Master of Broadcasting Disaster  Mario Impemba.

Don't lump Johnny Kane into that group.

22 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

You're right.  He's uniquely awful and deserves his own rant.  My bad.

is there anything you do like?

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

is there anything you do like?

Actually, yes.  But it's a short list, and Johnny Kane is not on it.

Bullpen more or less did the job after Zimm did his dizzle. If they had more bodies, I think Avila and Ilitch would have eaten the money by now.

Holding out hope for a deal where you pay down his salary to nothing just isn't going to happen.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Also Craig  Monroe.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

"He hasn't threw many"

craig monroe.

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Also Craig  Monroe.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate." 

Another Craig Monroe instant classic. He is SO much better that Jack Morris. I'm serious.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

CMo - "Harold Castro continues his.....(trails off)"

I'm fast tiring of Shep and CMo adds nothing in the booth.

I keep waiting for Shep to say...

Hall-of-Famer...Craig Monroe.

Have any opinion you want, Craig is better than Morris, IMO.

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

And antibiotic-curable gonorrhea is better than herpes.  But I don't want either of them in my bloodstream or my broadcast booth.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Actually, yes.  But it's a short list, and Johnny Kane is not on it.

Johnny Kane is fine - anywhere but in the middle of my ballgame PBP. He could be Eric Freaking Sevareid and I still wouldn't want him in the middle of my PBP. That also goes for player's spouses, parents, children, and neighbors.

(these people are just wearing out my lawn....)

42 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He is SO much better that Jack Morris. I'm serious.

Criag has two problems. One - he has no stories. One of the values of an old ballplayer, esp an old local ballplayer, is the history he can bring  - for instance when Petry has air time he often relates some story about a ballplayer, whether Tiger or not. Monroe  doesn't seem to have any of his his own, he has references about other ball players, but they have no hook and are not interesting, and he doesn't do the research to find any (can you say Ernie Harwell?). 

But Craig's biggest problem is that he hasn't learned to be quiet when he has nothing to add. His obsession to fill time results in too much repetition, too many abandoned sentence fragments etc. The best thing he could do is just back off a little. And then the two of them are both guilty of just abandoning the game for minutes at a time with some digression they get started on, but that is mostly Shepherd's fault. He is fatally undisciplined about actually keeping up the PBP.

Regarding the Tiger’s broadcasts,

Things I like:

-Dan Dickerson

-Kirk Gibson

-Dan Petry 

-Johnny Kane

Things I tolerate:

-John Keating

-Jim Price

Things I dislike:

-Craig Monroe

-Matt Shepherd 

-Jack Morris

49 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Gibby is worlds better than either of them.....bit I'd take Morris over CMo easily....and I never thought I'd say this....but I'd take Rod over either of them.

Honestly, I thought/hoped Shepherd would be better, but he's really a bottom quartile broadcaster. Do a little thought experiment. Which of these guys would you love to sit down next to at bar: Dan Dickerson, Kirk Gibson, Matt Shepherd, Mario Impemba. The last two just don't generate any interest to me. If a broadcaster can't make you feel interested in having a conversation with him, he's not very good.

13 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Honestly, I thought/hoped Shepherd would be better, but he's really a bottom quartile broadcaster. Do a little thought experiment. Which of these guys would you love to sit down next to at bar: Dan Dickerson, Kirk Gibson, Matt Shepherd, Mario Impemba. The last two just don't generate any interest to me. If a broadcaster can't make you feel interested in having a conversation with him, he's not very good.

And he doesn't cost FSD any money during the rebuild.

42 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think that's a solid way of looking at it.  I 'd take Mario over Shep in an easy decision.   

i was hoping for an improvement, instead we regressed. 

I think Shep's biggest problem is that he tries to hard to cater to people who know the sport better around him.  He's constantly asking questions, almost like he is feeding the ego of his sidekicks and avoiding stepping on anybody's toes.  Shep is the one who went to school to be a broadcaster...be a broadcaster and don't worry that you don't know the sport that well yet.  He's been horrible but I think he would grow into the position fine in time if he just called the games rather than constantly trying to play off his partners.  

Monroe is horrible...easily the worst of the three IMO.  I would prefer Morris to Gibson but that is just personal preference.  Neither gets me excited to watch a broadcast.